The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Moral Minority on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:29 am

My favourite games:

Hitman (the entire series)
Tekken (except for tekken 4)
Ryu Ga Gotoku
Final Fantasy XII
Civilisation (the original)
Urban Chaos: Riot Response
The Great Art Race
Sim City 4
Red Alert 2
Age of Mythology
Soul Calibur
The Godfather: The Game
The Last Stand
The Last Stand 2
Zelda: Hentai Edition
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:08 pm

Portal is an awesome game. I can't wait to get Half-Life 2 on Monday.

Yes yes, I know it has been out for a while, but I just put the 1gb of RAM from my new laptop into my old one, so now it can play more advanced games. Woohoo.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby nicci :) on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:54 pm

Neverwinter Nights I play. It's based on Dungeons & Dragons, so it's the fighter, wizard/sorcerer, rogue and cleric in a magical land role playing game type of thing. :wink:

And if you are into that, then it has near enough everything you might want. In multiplayer it is still beating all it's successors in terms of people online and has a variety of worlds to play on ... some RolePlay, some Hack and Slash, some Social. In Single Player there are over 4500 games created by the community ( a toolset to make your own adventure comes with the game) and thousands upon thousands of modification files you can download to make the game more how you want it. It is also the friendliest community I have ever experienced online.

Oh and it's a few years old so incredibly cheap. I bought the game and the 2 addons for a friend for £5 recently.

Made by Bioware too. (They are superb at RPG)

Gosh this reads like an advert, but it's a great game *shrug* If you're playing Myst and the like but hate the puzzles, or wished Diablo had a little more depth, or anything really, someone has made an adventure for you.

I'm kind of hooked on this game , it probably shows *laughing* ...
"Life is a mirror, just drop your shields and look at yourself."
Are you who you want to be?
nicci :)
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Elvalia on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:57 pm

nwn ftw :D

Yeah, Neverwinter's pretty awesome. I picked up the Kingmaker expansion for 10$ about half a year ago- not too shabby. I've never played online though, nor have I downloaded any extra campaigns, what with my poor internet connection.

Lately I've been playing that^ and God of War, and one of these days I'm going to pick up FF XII again and finally finish it. I just keep getting more things to play, before I'm done the ones I already have... I bought FF X-2 the other day, but I haven't started it yet. I haven't even finished Mario Galaxy yet, and I've had it since last Christmas (I saw my brother beat it, then I just didn't feel continuing after having seen the end). And I have yet to finish Tenchu WoH... I should really stop buying more games.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Xi the Tolerant on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:29 am

Currently playing... Fable 2 and Fallout 3...

Fable 2 is a bit different than the first. First off love the new improvements in player customization. but dont love the fact that there isn't a decent set of armor in the game, unless you get the special addition. Well there is spire guard armor but that is a slightly reinforced shirt and pants. The spells are nice even though i miss my beserk. Kinda odd they used the same mechanics for EVERY spell... Hold for charge and direction to aim it and no direction to do an area. Otherwise love the game... even if it gets a little repetitive... But in the end I will always choose the dog over the money...

Fallout 3 Is awesome. Oblivion with a 1950's lost future post-armagedon(?) enviroment. Which is refreshing cause i played Elder Scrolls as well and the setting didn't do it for me... Both great Bethseda(? again) games.

FSM, this feels like a review i shoulda kept it short... Sorry total null-life cause of my 360~.
Nothing is Impossible...

And if you believe in one of the multiple universe theories, (don't ask me which I'm no expert... yet...) everything is the truth. Why can't FSM be the truth for this one?

and if you were wondering... The avatar is a thing I did for a graphics arts class I had once... The people are Douglas Adams, Ray Bradbury, and the Ninja from ask a ninja. Two of them are my heroes and one makes me laugh occasionally...
Xi the Tolerant
Ziti Zealot

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:30 am

I am saving up for a 360 just so I can get Fable 2.
Cost: $400
Saved: $50.

I could go to the bank and pull out the money I need, but I'm sure mother dearest would not approve.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby nicci :) on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:21 am

Elvalia wrote:nwn ftw :D

Yeah, Neverwinter's pretty awesome. I picked up the Kingmaker expansion for 10$ about half a year ago- not too shabby. I've never played online though, nor have I downloaded any extra campaigns, what with my poor internet connection.

Multiplayer on dial up is best avoided, but many modules are quite small. It's the hakpaks (extra unique content) you need to watch for their size. My favourite module, 'A Dance with Rogues' is 6Mb and the hakpack another 14 so i imagine that's do-able. (fantastic story but adult content if that's not your thing). I review modules for a guild there, so if you need suggestions etc :)

And I just noticed you even reside on the Sword Coast :) (wish I'd thought of that)
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Rainswept on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:02 am

nicci \":)\" wrote:Neverwinter Nights I play. It's based on Dungeons & Dragons, so it's the fighter, wizard/sorcerer, rogue and cleric in a magical land role playing game type of thing. :wink:

And if you are into that, then it has near enough everything you might want. In multiplayer it is still beating all it's successors in terms of people online and has a variety of worlds to play on ... some RolePlay, some Hack and Slash, some Social. In Single Player there are over 4500 games created by the community ( a toolset to make your own adventure comes with the game) and thousands upon thousands of modification files you can download to make the game more how you want it. It is also the friendliest community I have ever experienced online.

Oh and it's a few years old so incredibly cheap. I bought the game and the 2 addons for a friend for £5 recently.

Made by Bioware too. (They are superb at RPG)

Gosh this reads like an advert, but it's a great game *shrug* If you're playing Myst and the like but hate the puzzles, or wished Diablo had a little more depth, or anything really, someone has made an adventure for you.

I'm kind of hooked on this game , it probably shows *laughing* ...

I play NWN on a persistant world online. Neversummer 4. At the moment I'm working on a Rogue/Monk/Shadowdancer lol.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby nicci :) on Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Rainswept wrote:
I play NWN on a persistant world online. Neversummer 4. At the moment I'm working on a Rogue/Monk/Shadowdancer lol.

Really? Cool! Never played there. Do you have a forum link so I can check it out? I am about to start playing on Harvest Moon but it's only a weekend server (and by invite only :( ) Otherwise I am just playing and reviewing community modules since it's been hard to arrange any time with my friends to play an MP adventure. I need to find a good PW.

I play a lot of monk/rogue / SD or Ftr or HS ... they are just great! ... and a lot of sorceresses too :) If there's a few of us perhaps we should try to arrange to play through an adventure together? (finding the time is a nightmare atm though, I probably shouldn't suggest it, but... :) ).
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Rainswept on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:06 pm

http://www.nsrealm.com/public/ns/viewforum.php?f=139 is the forum, but what you really want to look at is:

http://www.nsrealm.com/ns4wiki/index.php/NewPlayerGuide the Wiki.

It's a really complex server, and they have made lots of changes for PvP balance mostly. They have added subraces which is really really cool, so be sure to check those out before you make your first character.

The DM's roleplay the Gods/Goddesses of the realm instead of being just DM's, so it's really cool to choose one at character creation. Every time my rogue makes a level I get some random temporary bonus because "Mask has been watching and is please with your successs"

No passwords, no hackpacks, and generally anywhere from 15-50 people playing depending on time of day. The server is HUGE, and getting to level 40 is just the beginning. I've been playing there about a month, and I'm not 40 yet.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Elvalia on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:58 pm

I bought Shadow of the Colossus today. I haven't played it yet, but I know for a fact that it's made of win. I'm excited about it. I found it in a sale bin for about 20$.
Elvalia

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:13 pm

Elvalia wrote:I bought Shadow of the Colossus today. I haven't played it yet, but I know for a fact that it's made of win. I'm excited about it. I found it in a sale bin for about 20$.

You're in for a treat. That's one beautiful, brilliant game. But you knew that already. You ever played ICO?

I'm currently dividing my time between my two current obsessions, Europa Universalis III: In Nomine and Patrician III. In fact, I think I'll go back to expanding Holland into a worldwide trade empire now.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:23 am

Grr. I'm going to buy Half Life 2. I got a copy, (read: pirated copy) but I can't get around Steam. I hate Steam, for making me purchase a game attached to you!

It had better be worth it!

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Elvalia on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:48 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:You ever played ICO?

Nope. I'd never even heard of it- I had to wiki it. I take it it's good?

On a different and completely unrelated note, and I know this is kind of spam, and I'm a little bit sorry, but I wanted to encourage our gamers (and everybody else...) to donate to Child's Play (http://www.childsplaycharity.org), if you can. It's a good cause- it's to give games and books and such to children's hospitals. Just an idea. I thought it was important to spread the word.[/spam]
Elvalia

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:28 pm

Elvalia wrote:
fueledbycoffee wrote:You ever played ICO?

Nope. I'd never even heard of it- I had to wiki it. I take it it's good?

Oooh yeah. It was the very best game on the PS2 for a year or two. It's absolutely brilliant.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors