How it's made

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

How it's made

Postby PantyGnawer on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:08 am

Holy crap! Is anyone else hooked on this show? They seem to have an endless supply of episodes, likely because they are so cheap and easy to produce. Discovery likes to run marathons of this show and I just can't seem to turn it off or look away.

Whats weird is that unlike many other shows it totally captures my attention. I'm watching it now and I can't even keep focused on typing this post.

"Not now baby their fricking making curling stones and jellybeans!"
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Re: How it's made

Postby Platypus Enthusiast on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:39 am

I dunno dude, I think it's the most boring show ever. The narrator's dull voice doesn't help either. But to each his own, I guess.
Check out an official Pastafarian holy book, the Loose Canon: http://loose-canon.fsm-consortium.com/the-loose-canon/

"With Him, All Things are Pasta-Bowl."
-ProvHerbs 3:35
Platypus Enthusiast
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby PantyGnawer on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:38 am

No, you are right! The narrorators voice is horrible, and it is slow paced and boring. For all intents and purposes I should either fall asleep or change the channel right after turning it on.

Yet, for some reason I can't seem to turn it off. Its somehow boring and enthralling at the same time.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:18 am

PantyGnawer wrote:Yet, for some reason I can't seem to turn it off. Its somehow boring and enthralling at the same time.

As a rabid History Channel watcher, I understand. I really do. Modern Marvels should knock me right out, but nope, I'm absolutely enthralled by the history of the flushing toilet seat.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PantyGnawer on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:51 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
PantyGnawer wrote:Yet, for some reason I can't seem to turn it off. Its somehow boring and enthralling at the same time.

As a rabid History Channel watcher, I understand. I really do. Modern Marvels should knock me right out, but nope, I'm absolutely enthralled by the history of the flushing toilet seat.

But have you seen them make curling stones? Its fucking amazing? Damn looney cannucks!
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:41 pm

It is indeed an interesting show, but I've seen almost every episode, and the narrator pronounces things funny.

It's also almost all done in Quebec.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Elvalia on Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:53 pm

There's nothing wrong with Québec except separatism. They do some interesting things. Just for Laughs, for example.

I watch How it's Made, when I have the time and there's nothing better on. It's one of those shows that I could take or leave.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Wawizzle on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:53 pm

I know exactly what you mean, PG. This show absolutely captures my 100% attention whenever I turn it on.

I really don't give a fuck as to how they make violins, but I can't help but watch.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby GreenRain22 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:43 am

ITS SOOOOO COOL! I'm such a fan of these types of shows. I like knowing how things are made and how they work. I'm a total geek when it comes to this and Mythbusters. xD
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today

(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain

Postby S'presso on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:34 pm

The discovery channel is pwn.
'nuff said
Look! A new sig.
Blaaaaag.
S'presso
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Ubi Dubium on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:25 pm

Yes, I'm hooked too. I watched them make carbon-fiber cellos the other day. I didn't even know that kind of cello existed, and now I so totally want one. And I'm a violinist, not a cellist, for cryin' out loud!
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:28 pm

S'presso wrote:The discovery channel is pwn.
'nuff said

Discov'ry Channel
is made of win, enough said.
Boom de yada, lol.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby PantyGnawer on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:07 pm

GreenRain22 wrote:ITS SOOOOO COOL! I'm such a fan of these types of shows. I like knowing how things are made and how they work. I'm a total geek when it comes to this and Mythbusters. xD

Same here!

The only problem is that it leaves me even more curious about how they design and build the intricate conveyor belts and systems that they use to build the thing they're building.

I need a "How its made to the second power" . Where they show you how they build the thing, then they show you how they built the things that they use to build the thing, then they show you how they built the things that built the things that they use to build the thing.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:36 am

PantyGnawer wrote:
GreenRain22 wrote:ITS SOOOOO COOL! I'm such a fan of these types of shows. I like knowing how things are made and how they work. I'm a total geek when it comes to this and Mythbusters. xD

Same here!

The only problem is that it leaves me even more curious about how they design and build the intricate conveyor belts and systems that they use to build the thing they're building.

I need a "How its made to the second power" . Where they show you how they build the thing, then they show you how they built the things that they use to build the thing, then they show you how they built the things that built the things that they use to build the thing.

I've thought of that too!
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby GreenRain22 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:26 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
PantyGnawer wrote:

Same here!

I've thought of that too!

O.o Omg. Wow. Mind reading, anyone? xD

It's actually kinda helpful in the computer-geeky way. My grandpa never finished high school but he's a Mr. Fix-It Man, so he loves How It's Made too. We've sat through almost all of the marathons, and he'll point out stuff like, "That thing's also used for an air conditioner," yadda ya, stuff like that.

I loved how they build washing machines, bicycles, and jelly beans.
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today

(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain

Next