Religilous

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Religilous

Postby anickels on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:46 pm

lordpunkmonk wrote:do you by any chance live in the bible belt?

Gaah!!! I do!!
anickels
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Rainswept on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:56 am

So, I went to see this today, and I gotta say I was disappointed. It had a couple of funny parts early on, but overall it wasn't terribly funny to me. What's more, I really didn't care for his decision to be kinda a dick to everyone. I mean, I'm in complete support of his position and I cringed several times at the rudeness. Calling people out for stupidity is not the same as leading them into an interview under false premises and then mocking them. I can't imagine many people will see non-religious people in a better light after we're represented like that. I would have liked more BullShit, less Borat.

If you can't win over people who already agree with you, you're not doing a good enough job.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Roland Deschain on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:51 am

I've just finished watching Religulous and found it to be enjoyable. At just under 40 minutes in, he's interviewing a Senator who believes in Adam, Eve and the talking snake. Not only does he (the Senator) make up words, use words in the wrong context and get lots of basic things wrong, he also has this to say:-
Bill Maher wrote:See, this is my problem, is, I'm trying - I mean, you're - you're a Senator. You are one of the very few people who are really running this country. It worries me that people are running my country who think - who believe in a talking snake. Um...

Mark Pryor wrote:You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the Senate, though.

The look on his face is priceless when he realises what he's just said. I almost feel sorry for him. :haha:

I would agree that there is an element of making fun, but I think that's his point. That he can do this so easily, picking holes in many aspects, that he really doesn't have to try. They do a lot of it for him with minimal input. There are so many questions that nobody seems to want to answer, and don't. Saying that, there are also people he interviews that do answer him with their beliefs and opinions. There's also this awesome, yet crazy, place in Jerusalem that invents things to allow Jews to circumvent Rabbinic sabbath law.

Does anyone else feel compelled to visit both the Creation Museum and The Holy Land Experience? I want to ride the baby Triceratops and take pictures of Jesus being crucified.
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby m610 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:52 pm

Wow, a whole $250 to meet the Zeitgeist challenge.
m610
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors