Religilous

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Religilous

Postby Wawizzle on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:26 pm

So I'm going to see Religilous today at 5:20. I've got to drive about 2-3 counties over to a theatre that's actually showing it, and I'm going by myself.

But I think it should be amusing.

Anybody here seen it yet/planning on seeing it?
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Re: Religilous

Postby Apostateabe on Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:38 pm

If I want to see it, I would also have to drive to the next county, 80 miles, which isn't an option since I don't have a car. But they are showing "An American Carol" locally. I wrote an angry letter to the local newspaper about it.

I recently wanted to see the film, "Religuous," at a local movie theater. But, Pelican Cinemas, the only local movie theater, does not show the film. No big surprise. "Religuous" is a small-budget comedy with limited left-wing appeal (it is playing at a theater in Ashland). However, when I checked the listing, it did come as a bit more of a surprise to me that Pelican Cinemas is showing a film with an even smaller audience--"An American Carol." From the look of the online trailers, it is a right-wing lampoon of Michael Moore, and it is about as comedically stale, intellectually lowbrow and politically creepy as Michael Moore himself.

If the administrator of Pelican Cinemas wants to limit the viewing options of the city public, that is obviously his own private decision and his right. But Klamath Falls has become a sizable and diverse city, and it will get bigger. Can someone with the capital please start up another cinema, maybe in the old downtown, or maybe at the burgeoning east side of the city? I see a great business opportunity here. One cinema no longer needs to have a monopoly.
Apostateabe
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby lordpunkmonk on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:23 pm

Apostateabe wrote: (it is playing at a theater in Ashland)

sweet I might be able to see it then
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Apostateabe on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:38 pm

lordpunkmonk wrote:
Apostateabe wrote: (it is playing at a theater in Ashland)

sweet I might be able to see it then

See it and bring a few friends. If we must have docugandas, let them send a message that really needs to be sent.
Apostateabe
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:12 pm

Apostateabe wrote:If I want to see it, I would also have to drive to the next county, 80 miles, which isn't an option since I don't have a car. But they are showing "An American Carol" locally. I wrote an angry letter to the local newspaper about it.

I recently wanted to see the film, "Religuous," at a local movie theater. But, Pelican Cinemas, the only local movie theater, does not show the film. No big surprise. "Religuous" is a small-budget comedy with limited left-wing appeal (it is playing at a theater in Ashland). However, when I checked the listing, it did come as a bit more of a surprise to me that Pelican Cinemas is showing a film with an even smaller audience--"An American Carol." From the look of the online trailers, it is a right-wing lampoon of Michael Moore, and it is about as comedically stale, intellectually lowbrow and politically creepy as Michael Moore himself.

I've seen the trailer as well, and I completely agree with you, apart from Michael Moore being intellectually lowbrow and whatnot. He may be pretty creepy, but he does strike on some pretty good things.

I wouldn't mind seeing Religulous. I'll wait till it comes out on DVD, though. It hasn't come out in Australia yet.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby PantyGnawer on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:28 pm

I'm downloading it now. Most likely a fake this early but fingers crossed!
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Wawizzle on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:56 am

I just got back. This movie was absolutely hilarious. It wasn't just laughing at religious people being interviewed, this was seriously cut and presented as a comedy. Absolutely entertaining and interesting.

I'm going to buy it when it comes out to support.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby KHill7771 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:55 pm

How did you even find a theater showing it?? I have no clue how to find one!!! other than calling.....cant find one playing in within 20 miles. uuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh is there a website??
KHill7771
Conchigliette Convert

Postby lordpunkmonk on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:02 pm

yes it is called fandango
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby KHill7771 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:48 pm

i tried fandango. it just keeps saying no showings. but even if its like 5 hours away i wanna know where its showing!

any other suggestions?
KHill7771
Conchigliette Convert

Postby lordpunkmonk on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:50 am

do you by any chance live in the bible belt?
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Apostateabe on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:19 am

KHill7771 wrote:How did you even find a theater showing it?? I have no clue how to find one!!! other than calling.....cant find one playing in within 20 miles. uuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh is there a website??

I usually use Yahoo! movies. Type in your zip code and go. If you can't find a showing with either that or Fandango, then it probably is not showing, and you should write an angry letter to your local cinema.
Apostateabe
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:49 pm

Saw it today. I thought it was very good, and very smart. The problem with it is that while some of the people that need to see it (the skeptics) will, the ones who really do, the religious folks, will stay well clear.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Apostateabe on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:26 pm

My letter to the editor got published recently, it seems. There is a comment under my letter on the newspaper website that says he will send a request to the theater to try to get it shown, because they have lost money showing unpopular films before. There is another comment that says there is no way a second theater could make it financially in this town. Maybe so.
Apostateabe
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Wawizzle on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:40 am

Another thing about Religilous is that it makes the same claims about Horus and Jesus as in the movie Zeitgeist, which I'm pretty sure is false at this point ( http://zeitgeistchallenge.com/ ).

Other than that they did a good job.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors