Putting my money where my mouth is

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Putting my money where my mouth is

Postby donlibes on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:17 pm

October is the time of the year in which U.S. federal employees are urged to donate money to worthwhile causes. (The "CFC" program.) The Church of the FSM is not on the approved list, alas. (I looked into it a while back and you need to submit several years worth of audited statements with records indicating actual charitable uses of money collected.)

In lieu of the Church, can anyone recommend a charitable organization (recognized by the IRS) whose goals are closely aligned?
donlibes
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Putting my money where my mouth is

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:47 am

To be honest, I think it better that you support a charity whose work you support. His Noodliness will bless that action a lot more than if you pick a charity that you don't really support.

May I suggest picking a smaller one who maybe doesn't get the same income as the large ones.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby donlibes on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:56 am

Perhaps I should be more explicit. Last year, I donated to the ACLU. This year, it is more apparent than ever that religion is taking over American governance, morals, and science. So I was thinking that a better place to donate might be some organization promoting atheism or promoting science in the schools. Only thing is, there seem to be a number of such organizations and I don't know which to choose. I also see organizations such as Americans United for Separation of Church and State. But do these organizations actually do anything useful? All their websites look great but I would never know it from what is happening in the world today.

So I'm wondering is - which of these is the most effective and could best use my money? I have no idea if an organization like AU is effective - i.e., whether giving it money would be like throwing it away.
donlibes
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Edd on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:20 am

"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby R2F! on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:55 pm

i'll put something where your mouth is

but really

"To be honest, I think it better that you support a charity whose work you support. His Noodliness will bless that action a lot more than if you pick a charity that you don't really support."

do you think that is practical?
R2F!

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:53 pm

R2F! wrote:"To be honest, I think it better that you support a charity whose work you support. His Noodliness will bless that action a lot more than if you pick a charity that you don't really support."

do you think that is practical?

What picking a charity who's work you support and giving them your dosh? I definately think it's practical. If you care about children's issues, give to a Children's charity. If you're more concerned about environmental issues, give to an environmental charity and so on. Don't give to a charity you disagree with (for example, considering a child dies every 3 seconds because of poverty, lack of clean water or preventable diseases, I don't see the need to give money to hamster sanctuaries - so I don't.)

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby codered on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:33 pm

donlibes wrote:October is the time of the year in which U.S. federal employees are urged to donate money to worthwhile causes. (The "CFC" program.) The Church of the FSM is not on the approved list, alas. (I looked into it a while back and you need to submit several years worth of audited statements with records indicating actual charitable uses of money collected.)

In lieu of the Church, can anyone recommend a charitable organization (recognized by the IRS) whose goals are closely aligned?

Actually this is the first year that the Secular Coalition was listed in the CFC. They have the only secular lobbyist in Washington to counter religion in schools and government. Its the first of its kind to make it into the CFC. I donated to them. If its not too late I'd say they're your best bet.
"He stuck a feather in his hat and called it Macaroni."
-Yankee Doodle. Pastafarian, Pirate, Patriot.

http://www.coderedcomics.com
codered
Conchigliette Convert

Return to The Cause