My Friend has a problem

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

My Friend has a problem

Postby The Dead Parrot on Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:48 am

One of my friends is allergic to Gluten, which is normally in pasta. This means he cannot eat pasta, or the bread that goes with it! Whatever shall he do! He cannot fully accept the High Communion of Pastafarianism!
During the Space Race, American astronauts were faced with the problem that ink from their pens would not stay on the pentip.
After spending millions of dollars and a few years in research, they came up with the ballpoint pen. This solved the problem.

The Soviets, faced with the same problem, used a pencil.

The Daily Show 2006 Calender.

"Friends come and go, but Enemies seem to accumulate."

-- Myself

"Look to the Future, as it is the brightest place imaginable"

--Duke
The Dead Parrot
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby comp walla on Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:22 am

There is such a thing as gluten-free pasta. It is made from a grain that doesn't contain gluten. If your friend has a pasta machine, he can make it himself or he can look in the "crunchy" aisle of his local grocer. Also available at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Wild Oats, or Sunflower should he have one of those stores in his area.

I've eaten it before. It's not quite as satisfying as pasta made from semolina but it's pretty good if the alternative is no pasta at all.

Eat in good health. RAmen.
comp walla
Conchigliette Convert

Postby The Dead Parrot on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:56 am

Thank you. I will inform him of the wonders of Gluten-free pasta!
During the Space Race, American astronauts were faced with the problem that ink from their pens would not stay on the pentip.
After spending millions of dollars and a few years in research, they came up with the ballpoint pen. This solved the problem.

-- Myself

--Duke
The Dead Parrot
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Aeger on Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:59 am

Also, anything in the shape of pasta can be considered pasta. Twizzlers, for example, capture the feeling of pasta and so can be used as a replacement when in dire need.

Or you could trick your friend into thinking he's eating pasta, when in fact he's eating cereal or something, because it's the thought that counts. :o
I am anti-"txt talk." I support good grammar. I am part of the "Save the Vowels" movement. For your sanity and mind, type out your damn words.

Thank you
Aeger
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby The Dead Parrot on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:16 pm

I never knew that. Maybe I should start eating twizzlers more often.

Do Pop-Tarts count, since they look like pasta before it is cut?

-- Myself

--Duke
The Dead Parrot
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby kathic on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:27 pm

The Dead Parrot wrote:I never knew that. Maybe I should start eating twizzlers more often.

Do Pop-Tarts count, since they look like pasta before it is cut?

Now you are pushng it.
"Well, of course it's not true. But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe, and I tell the media what to believe. It's really quite simple."

No nation-building; don’t police the world. That’s conservative, it’s Republican, it’s pro-American - it follows the founding fathers. And, besides, it follows the Constitution.” ~Ron Paul

"Life, Liberty, Property" - Locke
kathic
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby The Dead Parrot on Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:24 am

Come on...

-- Myself

--Duke
The Dead Parrot
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Lethe Gray on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:27 am

Actually - Twizzlers CONTAIN GLUTEN. Please don't reccomend that! I too am allergic to wheat gluten and closely related items.

Whole Foods, Trader Joes and doubtless many local markets will have spelt, kamut (too close to wheat for me) and rice, corn, quinoa and other grains to play with.

*read every label*. That's the only thing I can say. Been away from wheat for a decade and my health is so much better than it had been before. There are great bakeries (if you're in the middle or east coast of the usa try Berlin Bakery in berlin ohio) which cater to specific needs like this.
Am I to burn in noodly hell because I am allergic to Wheat? Am I condemned to a life and afterlife without beer? Is there no cheese without the holy liquid from cows that I can substitute? *cries*
Lethe Gray
Conchigliette Convert

Postby jack2 on Wed May 16, 2007 6:34 am

my sister has been suffering in allergi.a lot f blood tests have done,but it is not fully cured.doctor said to her to avoid prawn,egg. :(
amoxicillin for you
jack2
Conchigliette Convert

Postby KC Observer on Fri May 18, 2007 5:24 pm

As stated above, there are a great many gluten free products on the market, which include Pasta. Actually it's quite good. I know 'cause for a time it was thoguht that my daughter might have a gluten allergy (turns out she did not) and thus we tried many gluten free products. The pasta was one of the better ones.
The Pope
KC Observer
Mod

Postby Cuddly_Carpy on Fri May 18, 2007 6:26 pm

I gotta frind with a gluten allergy, the gluten free bread she can get is like the size of an oxo cube
Cuddly_Carpy
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Re: My Friend has a problem

Postby Pineapple on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:45 am

I, too, am allergic to gluten and when eating vegetable pasta just don't feel the same connection to His Noodliness. It is indeed a cruel state of affairs; have I done something to incite His disfavour?
Pineapple
Conchigliette Convert

Re: My Friend has a problem

Postby PastaLovingIdealist on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:00 am

Having just read it, well, the answer is in the FAQhttp://www.venganza.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3517.
Welcome to my signature.
If you wish to read it in its entirety you will probably be disappointed. I'm not going to put anything witty or profound in here for a while. Any time you want to stop reading, be my guest. You won't find anything interesting here. I plan on adding something funny eventually, maybe when I can actually be original. Are you bored yet? Why are you even reading this?
If you skipped to this line you'll be disappointed.
There's nothing here either.
PastaLovingIdealist
Conchigliette Convert

Re:

Postby Karban on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:09 pm

Aeger wrote:Also, anything in the shape of pasta can be considered pasta. Twizzlers, for example, capture the feeling of pasta and so can be used as a replacement when in dire need.

Or you could trick your friend into thinking he's eating pasta, when in fact he's eating cereal or something, because it's the thought that counts. :o

What is a twizzler? oh and vowels - hand out dictionaries to our mobile only citizens - might be good for the curriculum to have them learn to spell - I know lawyers, senior naval officers and corporate managers who have trouble spelling - text talk must perish.
Any Pirate worth his Parrot would give both his wooden legs for a chance at this....Garrr Matey!!!!

Isssthmus! Isthmus? Issthmus! Issssthmus!
Karban
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Re: Re:

Postby Elvalia on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:06 pm

Karban wrote:What is a twizzler?

Twizzlers are a brand of fruit snack, apparently, though I would have called them licorice before I Wiki-ed it just now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twizzlers
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Next

Return to Food