Pre-Posthumous Pratchet aPpreciation Page

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Pre-Posthumous Pratchet aPpreciation Page

Postby Putanesca on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:59 am

Got to wait a whole week for 'Nation'? You poor people.

Well it goes something like this... Nah, would I do something like that to you? You'll just have to wait.

As for the film's etc if you use google you will find torrent downloads of all of Terry's stuff in one handy pack. Not that I am advocating in any way, shape or form that you do this. Copyright infringement is, in my book, the greatest 'I'd rather you didn't' of all. But I am sure there must be a site out there (possibly amazon) that sellls the stuff.

The script for Good Omens does exist. Neil and the other Terry (Gilliam) have been trying to get it made since 2002. The current word is that with the success of Startdust and Beowulf it has a better chance than ever of reaching the screen. We'll just have to hope.

Have you not seen the tv series of Neverwhere? I know that it is available from the BBC who made it. (bbc.co.uk)

By the way, while you're waiting for Nation may I humbly suggest that you try Jasper Fforde and/or Robert Rankin both very English but both very funny.
Putanesca Napoli
----------------------------------------
PASTA - You know it makes lunch.
Putanesca
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:47 pm

I picked up the Neverwhere set at my local bookstore; I was surprised to find it there.

And then I got it signed. :D
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby WelshRarePasta on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:01 am

^Wow, if only I lived somewhere where decent authors stopped by to sign things ;( The only decent signatures I've gotten are Nikki Giovanni (cause she had the office next to mine) and Maya Angelou (cause she came to visit Nikki). Neither of the Terrys or Neil has ever seen fit to come here.

I'd heard that Neverwhere was a BBC series, but haven't been able to locate it. Perhaps I'll give it another go. The book always struck me as being halfway to a screenplay, or a series of screenplays, already. Man, Gilliam making Good Omens? It's already my favorite movie without even being in production. Two favorite authors + favorite director = good stuff.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby black bart on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:38 am

pieces o'nine wrote:I picked up the Neverwhere set at my local bookstore; I was surprised to find it there.

Did you meet Terry Pratchett?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Putanesca on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:53 am

Welshrarepasta,

You know, it's not that difficult to get authors to come and sign books at a bookstore near you.

1) Ask your local bookstore owner/manager if they would be willing to host a book signing. Most will do so because it means they sell more books.
2) Find an author that you like who is publishing a new book in about 6 to 9 months time. It takes time to set up a book tour.
3) Pass on to the author, his agent or publisher the details of your bookstore.
4) They will contact the bookstore and, if all goes well, you get to meet the author and get your books signed. You may even get a VIP invite for the cheese and wine afterwards.
Putanesca Napoli
Putanesca
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:59 pm

black bart wrote:
pieces o'nine wrote:I picked up the Neverwhere set at my local bookstore; I was surprised to find it there.

Did you meet Terry Pratchett?

Sadly, no.

Neil Gaiman, this time, another favorite author. And at a different bookstore, in a different city, from where I found the Neverwhere disks. He was reading from Anansi Boys on that tour.
pieces o'nine

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:48 am

pieces o'nine wrote:He was reading from Anansi Boys on that tour.

I have that one, but it's the single Gaiman novel that I haven voraciously dove into (I picked it up along with Neverwhere... I got sidetracked). I've heard tell that it wasn't so good. Are we spoiled or is Gaiman losing his touch, I wonder...

Anyway, you got to meet Gaiman? *swoons*
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby WelshRarePasta on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:57 pm

Putanesca wrote:Welshrarepasta,

You know, it's not that difficult to get authors to come and sign books at a bookstore near you.

1) Ask your local bookstore owner/manager if they would be willing to host a book signing. Most will do so because it means they sell more books.
2) Find an author that you like who is publishing a new book in about 6 to 9 months time. It takes time to set up a book tour.
3) Pass on to the author, his agent or publisher the details of your bookstore.
4) They will contact the bookstore and, if all goes well, you get to meet the author and get your books signed. You may even get a VIP invite for the cheese and wine afterwards.

I appreciate your excellent advice, but it is based on one very faulty assumption: that I live within driving distance to something even approximating civilization! I suppose I could make the trek to DC, but I don't think the signatures would be worth the 9 hour round trip and ~250 dollars in gas :cry:
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby WelshRarePasta on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:02 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
pieces o'nine wrote:He was reading from Anansi Boys on that tour.

I have that one, but it's the single Gaiman novel that I haven voraciously dove into (I picked it up along with Neverwhere... I got sidetracked). I've heard tell that it wasn't so good. Are we spoiled or is Gaiman losing his touch, I wonder...

Anyway, you got to meet Gaiman? *swoons*

I think it's mostly a matter of taste as far as Gaiman's recent writing goes. He's always been all over the place as a writer (which to me is a very good thing). Personally, I think that Anansi Boys is his second best novel, right behind Good Omens. Of course, on GO he had Mr. Pratchett to help him out there :D

WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby pieces o'nine on Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:24 pm

I didn't get my copy of Good Omens signed because I'd let it to a niece. When I called to ask if she had finished reading it, she claimed she 'no longer had it'. :cry:

So I packed other options instead.

Then, about a month after the reading, she 'found' it. Yay and all, but still. :(

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I am also in awe of better-known writers who do these book tours, knowing that they will be signing "up to X items" at each stop -- sometimes for hours and hundreds of people -- smiling and posing graciously for photos with fans (some of whom *I* wouldn't care to stand that close to!).
pieces o'nine

Postby Putanesca on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Welsh,
No, honest, you don't have to live in, or even that near to, a big city. I mean, think about it. Bands go on tour and play small gigs as well as large ones. Well authors do the same thing. I live well away from the beaten track in the south of Spain and we get 3 or 4 authors a year paying us a vist just because we invite them.

If they don't get an invite, they ain't gonna visist y'all are they?

Try it, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Putanesca Napoli
Putanesca
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:12 am

You would not believe how many heads I would grind into the pavement to get a book signed by Terry Pratchett, or Neil Gaiman.

My copy of Good Omens, I have not, and will not lend it to anyone. It holds the prime place in my bookshelf, right next to Pratchett's Night Watch.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby black bart on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:43 am

I'm chuckling my way through 'Feet of Clay' at the moment...bought it from the library for 10p, what a bargain.

It's interesting that it refers metaphorically to the English civil war and the execution of Charles I. I work very near 'The Banqueting House where Charles lost his head. The other day I noticed there were wreaths attached to the fence outside the Banqueting House and I read one of the messages which said something like "to the memory of our beloved King" ...as Pratchet sais:

"Royalty was like Dandelions. No matter how many heads you chopped off, the roots were still there underground, waiting to spring up again."
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:47 am

I always wondered what he was doing a parody of there... Feet of Clay was the first Pratchett I ever read.

He's a bright biscuit, that one.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby purplegoddess on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:37 pm

The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes.

Pretty much my philosophy on life, really.
Give us this day our daily taste. Restore to us soups that spoons will not sink in and sauces which are never the same twice. Raise up among us stews with more gravy than we have bread to blot it with Give us pasta with a hundred fillings.

Robert Farrar Capon
purplegoddess
Maccheroncelli Missionary

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors