DIY Amateur Art and Literature Museum

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

DIY Amateur Art and Literature Museum

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:51 pm

So, here, I have an idea, right? I'm sure many of the people who visit this board are creative. Many have talked about writing, or drawing, or music. Me, being a naturally inquisitive sort, am curious about such things, so I thought "A thread wouldn't hurt, where people could share and talk about whatever drawings the have, or stuff they wrote." So I made this. Now, I'd like to encourage everyone to share whatever, regardless of medium. Sculpture? Take a picture of it. Film? Youtube and link. Quality's not important, but it's the fact that you're expressing yourself. Which is good. On top of that, you can get criticism, which I encourage and beg for, and many of you, who would be reluctant to share, would be doing it in a safe, polite (or at least, friendly. This place is more a Mead Hall than a church) atmosphere. Bringin' DIY back, oh yeah! Here's one of mine to get the ball rolling. Sorry about the "emoness" of it. I was trying to get across what I'm like at my worst. Hope you like!

Ennui

So, here I am, laying on my bed, staring at the ceiling, with David Bowie whining his way through “Rock and Roll Suicide” over the speakers. Throughout the song, I’m expressionless, motionless, totally dead to the world. He suddenly starts singing some bullshit about how fucking wonderful I am, and my hand suddenly darts across the bed, grabs the remote, and restarts the track. Rinse, wash, repeat. My face doesn’t change the entire time. I spend ten hours doing this.

I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I don’t know why I’m bored out of my mind, but can’t bring myself to move. I’m probably some kind of psycho, I think to myself, but I don’t fucking care. I restart the song again. I’m hot as hell, but I just lay there and sweat, rather than get up and turn on the ceiling fan. I restart the song again. Eventually, I fall asleep. I have some dream about D-day, except the captain urging me up the beach isn’t Tom Hanks, or John Wayne, but Kathy fucking Bates with a goddamn hot-pink sledgehammer. Weird. Finally, I’m jarred awake at 7am, too fucking early, by the obnoxious beeping of my alarm clock. Shit, that’s right, I have work, don’t I? I roll out of bed, walk outside, and smoke a cigarette. Then, I go back to bed.

Six hours later, I finally get up for real. The answering machine has five messages from my boss. I chuckle, delete the messages and put on a cup of coffee. Another one bites the dust. That’s twelve jobs in three years, most of which only last a month. I spend the rest of the day on the internet, surfing chatrooms, with absolutely no intention of posting, or much interest in what anyone else has to say. My parents get home, and I tell them I was fired. They go ballistic, I get in the car and go to my friend’s house, where I’ll either spend the month on his couch, or sometimes I’ll just sleep in my car.

A week passes, and I decide that I hate my friends, so I go home. I spend the next three days holed up in my room, bed moved against the door so my parents can’t barge in, with my Mom begging me to come out. Eventually, I do, not because of them, but because by that point I’m fucking hungry. Throughout dinner, I stare at my plate, while Dad goes on about how I’m depressed. I’m not fucking depressed. Depressed people cry all the time, and I haven’t cried in years. Besides, I’m not sad, I’m just fucking numb. Life bores me. I go back to my room and switch on the stereo, and zone out to Nico’s dull moan. I half-smoke a cigarette, before I get bored and hold the cherry against my wrist for about thirty or forty seconds. I watch, dispassionately, as the heat cause the flesh beneath it to brown and blister. I grow bored again, and finish the cig. I leaf through an old copy of Rolling Stone, before dozing off again, secure in the knowledge that everything be the same dull, dreary gray when I wake, and dream of Kathy Bates taking her hot-pink sledgehammer to the skulls of Uruk-Hai at the Battle of Helm’s Deep.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Re: DIY Amateur Art and Literature Museum

Postby aidiore on Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:56 pm

my god don be cruel to me...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r-Zz2Ovkoc it was my first movie...you don have to speak spanish...but you probably need some weed or something...

and i know the actors are horrible (but i dont have any money so those are my friends)...but i made it with all my heart...im working in some...big budget film right now...but a i cant get an actor (just turn down on tom cruise) jejejejejejeje...

hope you like it (i seriously doubt it)
The problem is not the Lack of tolerance...Is the tolerance with the ignorance
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Hmm... I'm mildly confused as to precisely what happened, but it definitely created a certain claustrophobic mood, and it told what I could discern of it's narrative well. What I'm not clear on: Was the man real, or the whole middle section just a dream, with some fucked ramification in the real world? Anyway, not bad for a first-timer. You could definitely teach my mate, who's in film, something.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby aidiore on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:31 pm

the girl actually died...but the thing was that she didnt knew it...so she died when her girlfriend saw her with a dude...and the girl with that "nightmare" (that actually its a memory) realize that she is dead....i know...strange strange...but thanks...
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:34 pm

Ok. Now I get it. Thanks. Again, not bad.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby midge35 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:01 pm

I have a drawing of a pirate person's face I had drawn during Math, but it's currently residing in my locker.
So I will entertain you with this cow I had also drawn.

On the 8th day, god created Chris Jericho. On the 9th, Jericho made him tap out.
midge35
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby aidiore on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:00 pm

my FSM...is that an atheist cow???
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby midge35 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:21 pm

I allow my creations to choose their own paths, and do not force religion onto them. Much like our noodly deity.
On the 8th day, god created Chris Jericho. On the 9th, Jericho made him tap out.
midge35

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:23 pm

midge35 wrote:I allow my creations to choose their own paths, and do not force religion onto them. Much like our noodly deity.

Good on you. I tend to put something of myself in everything I do, but for those who don't, then cheers.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby midge35 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:26 pm

Thanks.

But I can't believe I forgot my pirate drawing again. (actually I can, seeing as it's reality.)
midge35

Postby midge35 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:06 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I found another drawing.

midge35

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:33 pm

Not a problem. I might as well share one of my own, though several people have already seen it.

fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby midge35 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:04 pm

That's amazing.

It reminds me of that song Monster by Meg and Dia.
Except... not. It's weird.
midge35

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:22 pm

It was actually based on a story by someone who hasn't posted here in a couple months. Anyway, it was about living in a personal nightmare, and that's what came to mind. Though, I'll admit that the image isn't entirely original. The position she's sitting in was inspired by the video for "Ashes to Ashes," by David Bowie.

I've never heard of this song. I'll have to look it up.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby aidiore on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:42 am

funny if you don mention the video i wont realize the amazing similartities...jejeje...pretty cool by the way...my first thought was...this is crap...but then i saw the "details" and it was pretty awesome
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors