Most overrated writers/books

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:07 am

She could be credited with making reading popular again. I certainly don't think it's a stretch to say that.


That, I will definitely give you.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
User avatar
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: Not quite close enough to Columbia, MD.

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby thefunkyone on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:28 am

Stephen King- He has wrote quite a few good books but has also wrote quite a few flops. His collection of short stories called "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" is quite good and I actually enjoyed parts of the first book in the dark tower series (the gunslinger). But lots of his stuff is just kind of blah....


Not to mention the HORRIBLE tv-movies some of them turned into.
"If the #2 pencil is the most popular, why is it still #2?" --George Carlin
User avatar
thefunkyone
Ziti Zealot
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:20 am
Location: West Michigan U.S.A.

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby GreenRain22 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:45 pm

thefunkyone wrote:Stephen King- He has wrote quite a few good books but has also wrote quite a few flops. His collection of short stories called "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" is quite good and I actually enjoyed parts of the first book in the dark tower series (the gunslinger). But lots of his stuff is just kind of blah....


Not to mention the HORRIBLE tv-movies some of them turned into.


I disagree. I enjoyed the movie IT thouroughly,and Storm of the Century. Stephen King is an incredibly good horror writer: I look up to him.

I'll put forth Stephenie Meyer. Sweet books, but ever since Eclipse she's sucked.
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today


(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
User avatar
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:36 pm
Location: stalking random people

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:49 pm

I disagree. I liked Breaking Dawn.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby GreenRain22 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:51 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:I disagree. I liked Breaking Dawn.



D: You did?!

...Wow. XD
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today


(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
User avatar
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:36 pm
Location: stalking random people

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:55 pm

Yeah. I'm hazarding to guess that you didn't enjoy it simply because of the plot twist with Bella getting pregnant. After reading it, that plot twist actually makes sense, so I have no problem with it.

I liked the ending, too.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby GreenRain22 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:02 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:Yeah. I'm hazarding to guess that you didn't enjoy it simply because of the plot twist with Bella getting pregnant. After reading it, that plot twist actually makes sense, so I have no problem with it.

I liked the ending, too.


I don't know... Edward just annoyed the crap outta me. I didn't like it SIMPLY because Bella got pregnant, however, that is a big reason. I prefered the series whenever they were in High School. I never cared too much for the idea after they got out of High School. Just me.
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today


(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
User avatar
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:36 pm
Location: stalking random people

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:03 pm

GreenRain22 wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:Yeah. I'm hazarding to guess that you didn't enjoy it simply because of the plot twist with Bella getting pregnant. After reading it, that plot twist actually makes sense, so I have no problem with it.

I liked the ending, too.


I don't know... Edward just annoyed the crap outta me. I didn't like it SIMPLY because Bella got pregnant, however, that is a big reason. I prefered the series whenever they were in High School. I never cared too much for the idea after they got out of High School. Just me.

Meh, w/e. I liked it.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II


Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
User avatar
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality
 
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:10 pm

I vote F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
User avatar
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: Not quite close enough to Columbia, MD.

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby Ubi Dubium on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:52 pm

I agree on Anne Rice. Her early stuff was good, but she ran out of steam and just went downhill. THEN she went and got religion, so I won't touch her recent stuff. Ugh.

And I love Harry Potter. I agree that the epilogue of the seventh book was a little weak, should have been longer, perhaps with a better-written last line. But look what she accomplished. The books stand as children's literature, they work as fantasy, most of them also work as mysteries as well. They grow in maturity with their reader, so a youngster reading the first one hasn't outgrown them by the seventh. They've hooked a whole generation on reading. (And I have the smug satisfaction that I had Snape's motivations totally figured out before the Seventh book came out.)
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
User avatar
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: This is my brain, and I live in it.

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby midge35 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:30 pm

Whoever wrote the Twilight series.
I read the first one, and it was good, but seriously, I'm not completely invested in it.

And Lois Duncan.
I tried to read I Know What You Did Last Summer and had to stop after the second page. I was quite irked by the way she wrote, because no one talks/thinks like that.
Image
On the 8th day, god created Chris Jericho. On the 9th, Jericho made him tap out.
User avatar
midge35
Maccheroncelli Missionary
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:45 pm

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby Horigot on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:01 pm

I thought that The Road was incredibly overrated. It was good, but I don't think it was good enough for all of critical acclaim it received.

Oh and I didn't have a problem with the last Harry Potter. If anything how dark the series turned is a testament to Rowling's writing skills. As her characters turned more adult, the more the style and mood changed to a more serious less child like nature.
User avatar
Horigot
Conchigliette Convert
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:25 pm
Location: Elk Grove CA

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby aidiore on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:33 pm

im going to say (besides J.K Rowling)...well you probably never heard of him...because just like my old topic prove it...you dont know anything about colombia...or probably never had the oportunity to read one of his books...but Gabriel García Marquez just...bah..."El coronel no tiene quien les escriba" its one of the worst books i've ever read...i kind hope someone says to me...hey i've read all his books and he is great...you just dont understand him...but i know its hard...

and if you do know him...WHY YOU DIDNT MENTIONED IN MY POST ABOUT COLOMBIA?????? (i got a bad of impresion of you guys...jejeje...no really but i want to make you feel guilty)
The problem is not the Lack of tolerance...Is the tolerance with the ignorance
User avatar
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:01 am
Location: Somewhere In Time

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Because I didn't know he was Colombian.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
User avatar
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: Not quite close enough to Columbia, MD.

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby aidiore on Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:09 pm

Really? well he is...he was born in aracataca a pretty poor town in the pacific region of my beloved country...and...in my opinion...he is a pretty regular writer...i dont like the narrative in his books...

but the whole world just love him...
The problem is not the Lack of tolerance...Is the tolerance with the ignorance
User avatar
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:01 am
Location: Somewhere In Time

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron