Picked up The God Delusion yesterday

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Picked up The God Delusion yesterday

Postby thefunkyone on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 am

Yes, I know I'm a little late since this book came out in 06'.

I went to Barnes and Nobel and was happy to see that they had the book in stock. What I was NOT happy to see was that it was on the bottom shelf of the science section without the cover being visible, they couldn't have made it any harder to see unless they put it in the backroom. I pulled it out and browsed the rest of the store. Over by the philosophy section they had a couple shelf's dedicated to Atheism. This is where I seen some Christopher Hitchens books and was kind of surprised not to find a copy of the god delusion in this section as well as it seemed more fitting. Right around the corner I hit the religious section and there was shelf after shelf after shelf dedicated to Christianity with many books turned outward so you could read the cover.

I wonder if all Barnes and Nobel bookstores stock their shelves like this?

I almost took the other copy of the god delusion they had in stock and stuck it in the middle of the Christianity section but thought that sounded too much like something an arrogant overbearing Christian would do. :roll:
"If the #2 pencil is the most popular, why is it still #2?" --George Carlin
thefunkyone
Ziti Zealot

Re: Picked up The God Delusion yesterday

Postby Cricket on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:15 am

Oddly enough, being as the closest town of any size is rabidly fundy, the local B&N has one whole wall covered with Pagan/Spiritualist stuff, twenty feet or so of New Age, and a ton of other stuff that surprised me mightily.

Haven't looked there for "The God Delusion" - next time I'm up that way I'll check and report back as to where they put it.
Empusa's crew, so naked-new they may not face the fire,
But weep that they bin too small to sin to the height of their desire,
(Kipling)
Cricket
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Wawizzle on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:27 am

Barnes and Nobles located my God Delusion in the science section, near the bottom as well, thought they had 1 copy faced outwards so it was visible.

Not a SINGLE atheist book in the religion section. they were all under "science" which I find misleading and inappropriate.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby thefunkyone on Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:08 pm

Cricket wrote:Oddly enough, being as the closest town of any size is rabidly fundy, the local B&N has one whole wall covered with Pagan/Spiritualist stuff, twenty feet or so of New Age, and a ton of other stuff that surprised me mightily.

Haven't looked there for "The God Delusion" - next time I'm up that way I'll check and report back as to where they put it.

I see your also located in Michigan. I got mine at the B&N in Grandville at the mall. Which is also a very rabidly fundie town. There is a megachurch just a couple blocks from the mall. Perhaps that's the town your speaking of?
thefunkyone
Ziti Zealot

Postby thefunkyone on Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:12 pm

Wawizzle wrote:Barnes and Nobles located my God Delusion in the science section, near the bottom as well, thought they had 1 copy faced outwards so it was visible.

Not a SINGLE atheist book in the religion section. they were all under "science" which I find misleading and inappropriate.

Yeah it is misleading to look for it in the science section. Especially at my local barnes and noble who had an entire two shelves labeled "atheism". I didn't understand how Hitchens "God is not great, how religion poisons everything" which was located in the atheism section is less offensive a title than "the god delusion".

The atheism shelves were located under "philosophy". At least it was right next to the religion section although it was around the corner from it.
thefunkyone
Ziti Zealot

Postby Apostateabe on Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:39 pm

Wawizzle wrote:Barnes and Nobles located my God Delusion in the science section, near the bottom as well, thought they had 1 copy faced outwards so it was visible.

It is probably about marketing, not about classifying things fairly. Those who look for religious books are not likely to pick up a copy of God Delusion, but those who look for science books are likely to pick up a copy, even if it isn't really a science book. When I went to Barnes & Noble, The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster was not in either the religion section or the science section, but it was in the humor section, which I found highly objectionable. What if they put Bibles in the humor section?

I bought a copy anyway.
Apostateabe
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby thefunkyone on Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Apostateabe wrote:

It is probably about marketing, not about classifying things fairly. Those who look for religious books are not likely to pick up a copy of God Delusion, but those who look for science books are likely to pick up a copy, even if it isn't really a science book. When I went to Barnes & Noble, The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster was not in either the religion section or the science section, but it was in the humor section, which I found highly objectionable. What if they put Bibles in the humor section?

I bought a copy anyway.

Damnit! I was looking for the good book too. I looked in the science and philosophy (atheism) section and didn't see it. I guess I should have checked humor. Whodathunkit...?
thefunkyone
Ziti Zealot

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:31 pm

Apostateabe wrote:

I bought a copy anyway.

I have a habit of replacing the GoFSM in the Religion section, and moving all of their copies of the Bible (particularly The King James version) to humor. Never stuck around to see what happens, but it's satisfying, on a certain level.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby thefunkyone on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:08 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Apostateabe wrote:

I bought a copy anyway.

I have a habit of replacing the GoFSM in the Religion section, and moving all of their copies of the Bible (particularly The King James version) to humor. Never stuck around to see what happens, but it's satisfying, on a certain level.

haha
thefunkyone
Ziti Zealot

Postby nicci :) on Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:47 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:I have a habit of replacing the GoFSM in the Religion section, and moving all of their copies of the Bible (particularly The King James version) to humor. Never stuck around to see what happens, but it's satisfying, on a certain level.

Wow! I have never before wanted to manage a bookstore, but for a day, wouldn't that be great *wiked grin* 8)
"Life is a mirror, just drop your shields and look at yourself."
Are you who you want to be?
nicci :)
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Cricket on Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:41 am

I see your also located in Michigan. I got mine at the B&N in Grandville at the mall. Which is also a very rabidly fundie town. There is a megachurch just a couple blocks from the mall. Perhaps that's the town your speaking of?

Hah! Grandville ain't even tryin'...I'm talking Holland, home of the terrifying Christian Reformed *and* Dutch Reformed Churches...

I actually live down by Burnips, so I'm a little insulated from it all, but my late husband grew up in Holland, and he referred to going there as "going to Hell".

When he was sixteen or so, he was sitting in his car, working on the radio (he wasn't playing it, loudly or otherwise, it was out in his lap) on a Sunday. The neighbor saw him, over the fence, and came over and asked him what he thought he was doing working on anything on a Sunday. When that didn't get the desired results, he announced that he was going to go see what John's Dad thought of such blasphemy...

He never did *that* again...the neighbor, not John...
(Kipling)
Cricket
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby thefunkyone on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:13 am

Cricket wrote:

Hah! Grandville ain't even tryin'...I'm talking Holland, home of the terrifying Christian Reformed *and* Dutch Reformed Churches...

I actually live down by Burnips, so I'm a little insulated from it all, but my late husband grew up in Holland, and he referred to going there as "going to Hell".

When he was sixteen or so, he was sitting in his car, working on the radio (he wasn't playing it, loudly or otherwise, it was out in his lap) on a Sunday. The neighbor saw him, over the fence, and came over and asked him what he thought he was doing working on anything on a Sunday. When that didn't get the desired results, he announced that he was going to go see what John's Dad thought of such blasphemy...

He never did *that* again...the neighbor, not John...

haha

I didn't even know Holland had a barnes and nobel I figured if they did it would just be stocked with the bible and books about growing tulips since all other books are useless right? lol

I work in Holland and yes it is hell but you know whats even WORSE.... Zeeland. Dutch Reformed asshats everywhere. I swear I have never seen so many Jesus Fish on the bumpers of cars. People I work with wear shirts that say things like "have you walked with Jesus lately?" etc..etc.. I wonder what they would say if I showed up to work in my "support science, not superstition" evolvefish.com shirt?? The reaction I somehow don't think would be good.

People at work sometimes ask me why I live so far away and commute to Holland everyday. I say because I hate this town with a passion and would rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon before moving here. They look at me kind of strange when I say stuff like that.... :o

For those of you who don't know Holland/Zeeland area is full of holier than thou creationists who love to push their beliefs on to you. Some of them are so brainwashed you can see it on their face, they walk around with this fake smile like they are on drugs. I kid you not! This is the area that spawned Eric Prince, the guy who started Blackwater if that gives you a better idea of where we are coming from. You still can't buy Alcohol on Sunday because it might upset some Christians...... Back in the day when TV was considered the devils work the good people of Holland/Zeeland kept TV's and TV antennas in their attics so the neighbors wouldn't know. The funny thing is they were actually all watching TV but everyone was keeping it a secret.

I actually live just southeast of Burnips in Hopkins. Very small town.
thefunkyone
Ziti Zealot

Postby Cricket on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:41 am

Geez, you do have a long commute...for which I *totally* understand the reasons.

LOL at the TV antennas in the attic - a friend of mine lived next to a Christian Reformed minister when she was growing up - they had a TV (the minister's family) so they could "keep an eye out" for ungodliness...you know, to protect the rest of the population from themselves...

Then there's Graafschaap...where the folks from Holland go when they think Holland has gotten too liberal for them...

Holland's actually changing a lot, and fairly quickly, (who'd have thought there'd be a "New Holland Brewery" - and pretty decent beer, too...) but it's still kinda creepy, and there's a lot of backlash-type behavior.

I'm closer to pagan than anything, and I've occasionally described the atmosphere around here as "They wouldn't burn your barn for being pagan, but if someone else did, they'd figure you had it coming."

There did used to be a little store in Hopkins, Wise Woman Herbs, I believe, that was just "different" enough that I always wondered if they got run out of town for it, or there just wasn't enough money there to run anything but CDs and the feed store.

It's nice to post something about living around here and not have everyone think I'm making it up. 8)
(Kipling)
Cricket
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby thefunkyone on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:28 pm

Cricket wrote:Geez, you do have a long commute...for which I *totally* understand the reasons.

LOL at the TV antennas in the attic - a friend of mine lived next to a Christian Reformed minister when she was growing up - they had a TV (the minister's family) so they could "keep an eye out" for ungodliness...you know, to protect the rest of the population from themselves...

Then there's Graafschaap...where the folks from Holland go when they think Holland has gotten too liberal for them...

Holland's actually changing a lot, and fairly quickly, (who'd have thought there'd be a "New Holland Brewery" - and pretty decent beer, too...) but it's still kinda creepy, and there's a lot of backlash-type behavior.

I'm closer to pagan than anything, and I've occasionally described the atmosphere around here as "They wouldn't burn your barn for being pagan, but if someone else did, they'd figure you had it coming."

There did used to be a little store in Hopkins, Wise Woman Herbs, I believe, that was just "different" enough that I always wondered if they got run out of town for it, or there just wasn't enough money there to run anything but CDs and the feed store.

It's nice to post something about living around here and not have everyone think I'm making it up. 8)

lol

Not making it up at all! Holland/Zeeland area is full of whack jobs. Holland is mostly changing I think because of the Asian and Mexican populations moving in. Kind of thins the heard of the snobby old dutch people. Zeeland is still pretty bad. I always said if I won the lotto I would buy one of the Churches in the Holland/Zeeland area and convert it to a "church of satan" lol. Not that I actually believe it but it would just be cool to see a big ol' church painted black in a town like that. You could watch the trail of dust as everyone drove their minivans plastered with jesus fish out of town.....

I wonder if people in that area understand what their rep is with everyone that lives outside of Holland/Zeeland?? Probably not.

I had some cousins that worked at CD's. Go there all the time.

Overisel is pretty bad too!

I always thought it was funny that all these dutch settlers landed in this one spot and ended up being so conservative and religious. Yet the REAL dutch people back in Europe are about as liberal and free as they come. Such a contrast...
thefunkyone
Ziti Zealot

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors