im pretty sure you watch anime

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

im pretty sure you watch anime

Postby aidiore on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 am

so i ve just finish death note...and it was great...it has been a long time since the last anime that made me cry in the end (actually no anime has done that to me...but you know what im talking about)

so im asking you for recommendations of other short series...you know...for example death note has only 37 chapters...and RahXephon only 26...so...i will be glad if you tell me some good stuff...

oh and BTW...im sure im not the only one that loves death note...so...Light (Yagami Raito) or "L"????
The problem is not the Lack of tolerance...Is the tolerance with the ignorance
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Re: im pretty sure you watch anime

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:33 am

I read Death Note earlier this year. I've got a poster of it above my bed.

I liked Light, right up to the end. He went insane. He was so cool, so confident, then to have it completely shattered by Near...

I'd recommend One Piece, Naruto to a certain extent, and Bleach. Bleach also deals with Shinigami, but they're pretty different. With one last thing, I'd recommend Elfen Lied. Almost hentai, but it's pretty gory, so that makes up for it.

Ooh, and Fruits Basket. Extremely funny, but pretty girly.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:52 am

No.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Since anime tend to be watered down from the manga, I don't watch as a rule, but rules are made to be broken, and occasionally, I'll watch one and like it. Here's the few that I'd rate as great shows.

Serial Experiments Lain. YES is the only word to describe this show. If you can understand the plot without the aid of certain illegal substances, like I could, you will enjoy it more, but it also means that you, like me, are batshit insane.

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
. Manga is infinitely, mindblowingly better, despite the show being the first plotline almost verbatim. It's only good because the manga is one of the best I've ever read, so they couldn't go wrong. Still, there are almost no realistic anime, and even less that deal with bands who aren't fighting with music or some shit. Check it out.

Ghost In The Shell - It's friggin' Ghost In The Shell. 'Nuff said.

Akira - It's friggin' Akira. 'Nuff said.

Lucky Star - This is incredibly cute, girly, and if you looked at the colour of it's soul, totally pink. But it's also friggin' hilarious. Check it out.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby aidiore on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:00 pm

i forgot to ask...any of you have read Johnny the homicidal maniac...im sure some of you have...
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Wawizzle on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:43 pm

I gave up on Anime. I, at one point, attended the Anime club at my local library on tuesdays. I didn't know anybody there but I still went.

I really don't care enough about anime anymore to even talk about it...
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby aidiore on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:37 am

you know? here i listen so much about the extremist pionts of view about anime...you know...i hate it i love it....i used to love it but then i woke up....why is that???

i mean i like some series...but i dont go to cosplay or something like that....
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:13 am

aidiore wrote:i forgot to ask...any of you have read Johnny the homicidal maniac...im sure some of you have...

I've read JTHM a couple of times, but it's really not my cup of tea...
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:36 am

aidiore wrote:i forgot to ask...any of you have read Johnny the homicidal maniac...im sure some of you have...

Wasn't that impressed. I wasn't turned off, but it was hardly Jhonen Vasquez's best work. Invader Zim was his best, but I Feel Sick was my favorite. Never read Squee!.

But why are we talking Indie comics in an anime thread?

you know? here i listen so much about the extremist pionts of view about anime...you know...i hate it i love it....i used to love it but then i woke up....why is that???

When I was an adolescent, with raging hormones, I loved anime. Sparkly, sexy men who on a bad day people would mistake for girls. Powerful (or at least angry) women. Romance! Humor! Drama! Then I turned sixteen, and I picked up Quiver, by Kevin Smith. It showed me what comics should be. The art blew my mind, with it's dirty realism, the plot, despite being a superhero comic, was darker and more emotional than anything I'd ever read in a manga. This was not your mother's Green Arrow. Then someone recommended The Sandman, by Neil Gaiman. After that, the deal was sealed. No more manga. You see, in my inexperienced mind, western comics were all stuck in the 50's. Bad art, simplistic black vs. white plotlines, with no emotional depth save for everyone being happy. Anime was the rebel, the violent, dramatic, dark side of comics and cartoons. But what I found in Quiver was darker than anything I've ever found in anime. Maybe not as violent, but far darker. Far more mature, as well.

The point of that was that what I realize now, is that anime is to western comics what daytime soaps are to an Eastwood movie. In anime, like a soap, all of the emotion, like the art (which is another complaint, I could draw Ranma 1/2 when I was twelve), is empty and plastic. For some reason, either western authors are better or that art style doesn't work to convey emotion, but it never seems as real, to me.

I was also turned off by the anime community. I was never totally a nerd. I never had that raw devotion to one subject. I could always somehow manage to take a shower before going to cons. Also, men, unless they are very effeminate, should not dress as Sailor Moon. I will qualify, I also hate the comic book community. Superficial, but I'm a misanthrope, so I take every opportunity to hate on people.

That's why I'm not a fan of anime.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby aidiore on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:24 pm

oh my...well i disagree in some points...for example the plot of Evangelion blew my mind...and RahXephon did the same thing...of course quiver is something else...but you cant dismiss all anime and manga like that...

i asked the JTHM because i remember it...but you make a point it doesnt make any sense in this forum...

by the way i totally loved JTHM...but squee! is pretty cool and a book about a girl is amazing

but yes...invader zim was the best work of johnen vasquez

About the anime community...my god those guys are crazy...i actually saw a guy dressed like some character of Inuyasha named sango (Sango its a girl)...im not into those convention where the people say that they will kill for a hair of Light from death note...or for actually drive an EVA...

I only watch and read things that actually worth it...just like evangelion...DN...RX...Lain(pretty wild)...Full metal alchemist...
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby midge35 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:00 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:No.

Took the words right out of my mouth/off of my fingertips.
On the 8th day, god created Chris Jericho. On the 9th, Jericho made him tap out.
midge35
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Elvalia on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:30 pm

aidiore wrote:so i ve just finish death note...and it was great...it has been a long time since the last anime that made me cry in the end (actually no anime has done that to me...but you know what im talking about)

so im asking you for recommendations of other short series...you know...for example death note has only 37 chapters...and RahXephon only 26...so...i will be glad if you tell me some good stuff...

oh and BTW...im sure im not the only one that loves death note...so...Light (Yagami Raito) or "L"????

I liked Scrapped Princess, Hellsing, and Shakugan no Shana a lot. Those are all short (20-30 episodes apiece, I think). Bleach is good, but it isn't short at all.

As for Death Note, I was all for L, because of his radical methods and calculated moves.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:52 pm

aidiore wrote:oh my...well i disagree in some points...for example the plot of Evangelion blew my mind...and RahXephon did the same thing...of course quiver is something else...but you cant dismiss all anime and manga like that...

As I mentioned before, I do like a few, but the majority are total fucking turds. Evangelion was pretty good, but that may have been the drugs. I should watch it while clean sometime. I just don't bother to sit there and say "I wanna watch an anime. I watched Evangelion and Lain because my friend thought it would be good viewing while we were stoned. The others on recommendation. I do read some manga. For example, as much as it pains me to admit it, I'm totally addicted to Gravitation. I don't dismiss it out of hand, but I also don't jerk myself off over the latest Fucked-up Hair + Cute Monsters = Profit combo.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:53 pm

I am not allowing this cancer to infect my cherished boards. I shall report every post.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby GreenRain22 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:17 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:I am not allowing this cancer to infect my cherished boards. I shall report every post.

Zankou, anime is not the end of the world. Just because you don't like it dosen't mean that you get to flip out. Jeez.

My favorite animes are:

NANA - One of the most popular Shojo's known to otaku kind. Sex, drugs, punk, and rock all combined. Awesomeness. There's also a manga, and I recommend reading that too.

Elfen Lied: As Dective Turtlehomes said, it's borderline hentai but it's pretty good. The plot is very intricate, but read the manga too. It keeps going after the anime.

Fruits Basket: ITS SO FUNNY! xDDD I just about die laughing when I'm watching it.

Bleach: Kick ass, hilarious, and stylish (the illustrations are my favorite). The music for the anime is pretty good also.

Inu-Yasha: This has gone down as one of the best manga/animes in the world. It's in between shojo and shounen, but it's incredibly good. The manga is a bit more graphic then the anime, however.

Honey and Clover: People call it shojo, but the only reason they do is because it deals with emotions. It's very well written and drawn expertly. If your interested in Japanese culture, you should totally read it.

Mixed Vegtables: I've only seen the preview, but I thought it was hilarious. A pastry chief's daughter decides to 'capture' her friend's heart and marry him in order to get into the sushi buisness. It's similar to Fruit's Basket in the comedy aspect.It's a manga, btw

Shojo = girly manga
Shounen = guy manga

>> Yeah.
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today

(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain

Next