Worst book ever written..

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Worst book ever written..

Postby Apostateabe on Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:58 pm

WelshRarePasta wrote:Zomg Lyndon Larouche... that nutbag was once my nextdoor neighbor. He had armed guards in jeeps that would shoot uzis over the heads of little kids (i.e., me and my buds) playing in the woods next to his property for kicks.

On the Catcher in the Rye front, it's not strictly a Y chromosome thing, unless I and all my male friends with taste are somehow gender-traitors. It sucked. And I've never figured out how on earth it became mandatory reading.

Those must have been the good old days. I wish I had bodyguards of a cult leader shooting Uzis over my head.
Apostateabe
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Capellini on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:27 pm

WelshRarePasta wrote:Zomg Lyndon Larouche... that nutbag was once my nextdoor neighbor. He had armed guards in jeeps that would shoot uzis over the heads of little kids (i.e., me and my buds) playing in the woods next to his property for kicks.

On the Catcher in the Rye front, it's not strictly a Y chromosome thing, unless I and all my male friends with taste are somehow gender-traitors. It sucked. And I've never figured out how on earth it became mandatory reading.

That's easy - nationalism demands that pretty much every high school teach American literature, convention demands people refuse to label anything not at least 50 years old 'literature', and political correctness makes much of American literature from before 1950 inappropriate for high school. Therefore, all you have left for a high school American lit course is total garbage. So you get stuck with Catcher in the Rye.

Sadly, many literary traditions were either born or well-developed by American writers - horror, the macabre, the detective novel, satire, etc, but too many people would object to a class that taught Lovecraft, Poe and Vonnegut.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby S'presso on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:25 pm

The Violin Lover - Susan Glickman
The characters were dull and whiny, the story was dull, and had almost nothing to do with violins. Plus, the ending sucked.
Interestingly enough, it has a 5/5 rating on Amazon. Of course, it was only 2 reviews.

along with 'A Day No Pigs Would Die'- Robert Gregory Peck
But that was because it was a dull book
Look! A new sig.
Blaaaaag.
S'presso
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:25 pm

I can definitively say that Breaking Dawn is not the worst book ever written. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby black bart on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:03 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:I can definitively say that Breaking Dawn is not the worst book ever written. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Have you ever thought of writing a book mate?

We could probably discuss it in this category. :roll:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:51 am

black bart wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:I can definitively say that Breaking Dawn is not the worst book ever written. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Have you ever thought of writing a book mate?

We could probably discuss it in this category. :roll:

...You're so hurtful.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:03 pm

I can too, even though I've always hated that whole series, and that was the worst. People need to realize that there is always something worse. Just because you didn't like a book, does not mean it's the worst ever, it means it may not have been great. Stop thinking in extremes, people.

(In my defense, yes, I did post a book, but that was only because after years and years of read, The Eye of Argon is still the only one whose prose feels like sandpaper on my eyes, and I am absolutely convinced that it was originally penned on flesh. It is Satan in book form, and not the cool alternative Satan from Neil Gaiman and Mike Carey comics, the old, nasty Satan. Cthulu kidnapped him and put him through a press, with his death cult chanting around them in circles. It is the worst book ever.)
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Edd on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:34 pm

Capellini wrote:Sadly, many literary traditions were either born or well-developed by American writers - horror, the macabre, the detective novel, satire, etc, but too many people would object to a class that taught Lovecraft, Poe and Vonnegut.

I wish I had a class like that in high school; I was reading all those on my own.

Unfortunately, you’re right. Far too many would object to teaching those three amazing writers, never mind the fact that it would probably encourage many kids to pick up a book on their own. Murder, mayhem, satanic, otherworldly cults, insanity, sex, drugs, cannibalism, and deep, dark, suicidal depression – what’s not to like?
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:22 pm

Edd wrote:Murder, mayhem, satanic, otherworldly cults, insanity, sex, drugs, cannibalism, and deep, dark, suicidal depression – what’s not to like?

Let's see, Seventh grade we read Catcher In The Rye and Flowers for Algernon, Ninth was Fallen Angels and Jurassic Park, Tenth was Lord of the Flies (Complete with a sexual analysis of the pig killing scene), Eleventh was The Bell Jar, Twelfth was The Scarlet Letter.

War, violence, suicidal depression, insanity, misanthropy, religious persecution, kids killing each other (Piggy's death... that was not appropriate for our age group), sex, retardation, dinosaurs eating your face...

I would say our class reading wasn't much better.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Edd on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:24 pm

Jurassic Park?

In high school?

I am officially old.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:57 pm

Edd wrote:Jurassic Park?

In high school?

I am officially old.

Yes, you are. I'm old, and I'm only 21. Kids these days are reading frakkin' Harry Potter in Twelve grade. I remember when that goddamn series came out. Now, it's more popular than the Beatles, who, you must recall, are more popular than Christ. I am old. And let me tell you whippersnappers about what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles really was, none of this "New Series" CRAP...

[/topic derailment]
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:58 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Edd wrote:Jurassic Park?

In high school?

I am officially old.

Yes, you are. I'm old, and I'm only 21. Kids these days are reading frakkin' Harry Potter in Twelve grade. I remember when that goddamn series came out. Now, it's more popular than the Beatles, who, you must recall, are more popular than Christ. I am old. And let me tell you whippersnappers about what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles really was, none of this "New Series" CRAP...

[/topic derailment]

Hell, I am old. I remember when TV was good.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby WelshRarePasta on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:22 am

^I realized I was old when I showed Apocalypse Now to a freshman level University class and 75% of them thought it was about either Korea or WWII :fsm_float: . I decided I didn't want to be a teacher anymore.

--disclaimer-- I'm about to insult a well-beloved poetess, and although I won't apologize, those of sensitive literary tastes and fragile senses of self-worth may want to avert their eyes...

Vonnegut should be required reading for all Americans, but I can take or leave Poe. And yes I'm aware of the 'must teach American lit!' hysteria in American public schools. I always felt victimized by that mindset when we had to read ALL of Emily Dickenson's poetry in 10th grade, which to me felt like 3,000 iterations of the same crappy poem about a fucking circle. I mean seriously, that lady needed to get out in the fresh air.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby black bart on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:26 am

Edd wrote:
Capellini wrote:Sadly, many literary traditions were either born or well-developed by American writers - horror, the macabre, the detective novel, satire, etc, but too many people would object to a class that taught Lovecraft, Poe and Vonnegut.

I wish I had a class like that in high school; I was reading all those on my own.

Unfortunately, you’re right. Far too many would object to teaching those three amazing writers, never mind the fact that it would probably encourage many kids to pick up a book on their own. Murder, mayhem, satanic, otherworldly cults, insanity, sex, drugs, cannibalism, and deep, dark, suicidal depression – what’s not to like?

I agree, three brilliant authors, of which my favourite is probably Poe. If you like ghost stories try reading M R James, although whereas I would say Poe's work is other worldly, M R James's stories are very English, full of ancient curses and english landscapes..
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:27 pm

WelshRarePasta wrote:I always felt victimized by that mindset when we had to read ALL of Emily Dickenson's poetry in 10th grade, which to me felt like 3,000 iterations of the same crappy poem about a fucking circle. I mean seriously, that lady needed to get out in the fresh air.

True, but "Go manacle your icicle / Against your Tropic Bride." was a pretty good line, IMO.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors