"Pirate speak in Serious"

General Forum Announcements

Moderators: Other Stuff Mods, Serious Mods, All Things Mods, phpBB2 - Administrators

Re: "Pirate speak in Serious"

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:48 am

Mad Willyum Bonney wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Mad Willyum Bonney wrote:I came across an article sometime last year so the details are sketchy .
A study concerned human perception are something within that realm .
The researchers displayed text that was missing all the vowels and possibly other letters .

They found that only 40% of test subjects were able to read it without a struggle , the other 60% took forever to read the thing , or saw " chicken scratch " , it might as well be a foreign language.
It seems the former group's brains somehow simply filled in the blanks for them as they read the text .

So PG , give these folks a break , they are of the 60% .

You aren't removing the vowels, you are entirely changing the spelling and syntax.

Is that a challenge ?

No.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Auntie Blackbeard on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:19 am

PantyGnawer wrote:
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Hmmmm , I wunner wot them English as seccond langage tink ove wot be rite above ?
Ye Crows Nest be open fer business me dearies.
Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby lari on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:05 pm

English isn't the seccond language in my country, but it's my seccond language, as well.
Ok, I haven't finished the English course yet, and I'm not fluent, but I can understand you very well, even when you use pirate speek. By the way, I'm trying to learn it!
Brazilian Pastafarian :D
lari
Ziti Zealot

Postby nicci :) on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:53 pm

Auntie Blackbeard wrote:
PantyGnawer wrote:
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Hmmmm , I wunner wot them English as seccond langage tink ove wot be rite above ?

I don't have a problem, but English is my best language (not my first though). The above is a dam sight easier than pirate speak though!
I've actually done a similar exercise in class and most students could read it if it wasn't a new word. (how much you mess it up does have an effect though i think, the version below is harder to read, or no? I moved one letter in each word whenever I could)

Adoccrnig to rascheerch at an Elngsih usinervtiy, it dneos't mtaetr in waht odrer the lteerts in a wrod are, olny taht the fisrt and lsat ltertes are at the rgiht peclas. The rset can be a ttoal mses and you can slitl raed it wotuhit a peorblm. Tihs is buseace we do not raed eervy lteetr by ilsetf, but the wrod as a wlhoe
"Life is a mirror, just drop your shields and look at yourself."
Are you who you want to be?
nicci :)
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:00 pm

I tnihk trehe shulod be a thared wrehe tihs is how we tlak all the tmie.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:08 pm

nicci :) wrote:
I don't have a problem, but English is my best language (not my first though). The above is a dam sight easier than pirate speak ....

.... the version below is harder to read, or no? I moved one letter in each word whenever I could)

Adoccrnig to rascheerch at an Elngsih usinervtiy, it dneos't mtaetr in waht odrer the lteerts in a wrod are, olny taht the fisrt and lsat ltertes are at the rgiht peclas. The rset can be a ttoal mses and you can slitl raed it wotuhit a peorblm. Tihs is buseace we do not raed eervy lteetr by ilsetf, but the wrod as a wlhoe

Nope , just as easy .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Previous

Return to Announcements