Of why harry potter and dan brown books sucks

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Of why harry potter and dan brown books sucks

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:31 am

black bart wrote:I think it's quite natural to feel that way about 'Over Hyped' books and films. I still haven't read any Harry Potter Books or watched Forrest Gump. I like the Harry Potter films though but I will not be reading The Da Vinci Code, even though someone gave me it for Christmas!

Why not? It was a very good book.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby WelshRarePasta on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:20 am

We could start a whole new sub-thread! Books/movies/shows we were too cool to watch, and then felt like morons for having put off for so long...

My list would look (incompletely) like this--

Harry Potter
Forrest Gump (hrmm, a pattern emerges)
The Sandman
The Watchmen, V for Vendetta (movie and book)
Ocean's 11 (new one, old one still isn't that good)
The Shawshank Redemption (movie)
Love Actually (ok, I'm a softie, I admit it... but I fought for years with myself before I'd watch Romantic Comedies)
TV in general (didn't watch any for ~10 years, and now I find there's some quite good shows on)

Books I was too cool to read, was convinced by friends to read anyway, and still wished I hadn't (not saying they are bad, I just didn't like them):

His Dark Materials
DaVinci Code
Lemony Snicket or whatever
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Capellini on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:18 pm

THANK YOU re: the Pullman books!

The first one was good, but the other two made me wish I was illiterate!
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:25 pm

Capellini wrote:THANK YOU re: the Pullman books!

Well, c'mon, they weren't that bad.

Certainly they weren't as good as the first one, and the first one was moderately interesting at best.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby WelshRarePasta on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:46 pm

Not gonna cite their literariness, since that seems a contentious label at the moment, but... I just couldn't see the point. That whole trilogy seemed like it was just restating what had been stated before by, oh, about a million and a half authors, and not very well at that. I hate to say it, but those books are on a very short list of books I haven't finished reading once I started. So far, it includes:

An American Tragedy by Dreiser (ejected from the window of my truck at 60mph for sucking that bad)
His Dark Materials (still sitting on my shelf after reading half of the first one because I haven't found a suitably bereft charity yet)
The Ethics by Spinoza (because it makes my brain hurt, although I do intend to finish it one day just to say I did)
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:04 pm

I had big plans to *never* read several books, among them: The Confessions of Augustine. When it was required for a class I put it off as long as possible and then 'read' every page at blinding speed so that as little as possible would contaminate my mind.

I passed the test. :D

And I remain happy in my dislike for All Things Augustine. :D
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:53 pm

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Read it. I wish I'd read it earlier.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
black bart wrote:I think it's quite natural to feel that way about 'Over Hyped' books and films. I still haven't read any Harry Potter Books or watched Forrest Gump. I like the Harry Potter films though but I will not be reading The Da Vinci Code, even though someone gave me it for Christmas!

Why not? It was a very good book.

I've lost the Da Vinci Code...a Spacetime continuum vortex opened and a Pterodactyl ate the book...

...Honest.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:36 pm

Those books were made of pure fucking win. I don't know what the hell you are talking about.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby black bart on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:34 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:

Those books were made of pure fucking win. I don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Yet again I have to agree with you, it just goes to show how peoples tastes can differ...I cannot understand how anyone would dislike 'His Dark Materials'. Pass the Tokay Zankou old chap I feel a parallel universe coming on.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby GreenRain22 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:06 am

Dan Brown is fantastic and creative, and considerably brave to consider writing something that Jesus actually sexed it up with Mary Magdalene! My church hates him, and this fuels me even more.

J.K Rowling started writing because she WANTED to. Not because her bloody agent said, "Write this!" She got the idea and jotted it down. She published it, and she started writing even more.

Dan Brown and J.K Rowling will both go down as some of the best authors of the 20th/21st century.

Paul Pullman? AWESOME.

>> I realllly don't know where you guys came from, but you have pretty bad taste in books. If you want REAL litature, go read Mark Twain or Shakespear. :P
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today

(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:04 am

Ummm...

Philip Pullman.

Not Paul Pullman.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:06 am

GreenRain22 wrote:Dan Brown is fantastic and creative, and considerably brave to consider writing something that Jesus actually sexed it up with Mary Magdalene! My church hates him, and this fuels me even more.

J.K Rowling started writing because she WANTED to. Not because her bloody agent said, "Write this!" She got the idea and jotted it down. She published it, and she started writing even more.

Dan Brown and J.K Rowling will both go down as some of the best authors of the 20th/21st century.

Paul Pullman? AWESOME.

>> I realllly don't know where you guys came from, but you have pretty bad taste in books. If you want REAL litature, go read Mark Twain or Shakespear. :P

Actually, Pullman's name is Philip.

Kid, I won't kiss Dan Brown's feet for suggesting that Jesus boned Mary Magdalene. The idea's been around for years. All he did was dumb it down for mass consumption. Also, you shouldn't like/dislike something just to be contrary towards something you hate, and yes, this is a mistake I make frequently. But while my Dad loves Miles Davis, does that make him any less cool? I think not.

And everyone starts writing because they want to. It's why they want to that's in question.

Do yourself a favor. Check out Neil Gaiman. You may just change your opinion on what's modern literature.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Capellini on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:57 am

HDM was tedious, didactic, and I found the language to be immature. The comparison to HP is stark.

HP presented intricate themes and murky questions about morality and life, and used language that was challenging to it's target audience.

HDM took an idea as old as time (organized religion sucks ass) and used pedantic and easy-to-follow language to beat it's target audience over the head with it, in a not evenly slightly veiled attempt to indoctrinate.

I am also VERY intrigued by the respective responses of Rowling and Pullman to media criticism re: religious issues. Rowling was completely dismissive of all talk that churches and such were suggesting their congregations ignore the books, and Pullman complained that religious groups didn't think he was evil.

Pullman had an obvious axe to grind, it wasn't even a unique or interesting axe, and he used a highly contrived children's story to do it. It was the absolute definition of didactic.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:32 am

Capellini wrote:HDM was tedious, didactic, and I found the language to be immature. The comparison to HP is stark.

HP presented intricate themes and murky questions about morality and life, and used language that was challenging to it's target audience.

HDM took an idea as old as time (organized religion sucks ass) and used pedantic and easy-to-follow language to beat it's target audience over the head with it, in a not evenly slightly veiled attempt to indoctrinate.

I am also VERY intrigued by the respective responses of Rowling and Pullman to media criticism re: religious issues. Rowling was completely dismissive of all talk that churches and such were suggesting their congregations ignore the books, and Pullman complained that religious groups didn't think he was evil.

Pullman had an obvious axe to grind, it wasn't even a unique or interesting axe, and he used a highly contrived children's story to do it. It was the absolute definition of didactic.

*SPOILERS*

It was supposed to be a direct parallel to the Chronicles of Narnia. The religion depicted in the book doesn't even exist, and it wasn't actually God they defeated, anway.

HDM was full of philosophy, and I liked the way in which it was written.

And, besides, the story presented was just so awesome that you can disregard it's faults.

And in all fairness, Harry Potter is also tedious.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors