Of why harry potter and dan brown books sucks

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Of why harry potter and dan brown books sucks

Postby aidiore on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:12 pm

There was a time when Henry Miller in his crappy offcie at the postal service of U.S, haunted me with the irracional complications of a pretty simple life...and that was a good time....

then...from the darkest pit of nonsense...one british b...mmm...lady...rose and give us a new light...a new wind...and then you took that book into your hands...i took that book...and my eyes start bledding...that was because the childlish, bad written, characters horribly "constructed", history of a magician...

and dont get me started with that moron of dan brown...my FSM those books sucks...
The problem is not the Lack of tolerance...Is the tolerance with the ignorance
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Re: Of why harry potter and dan brown books sucks

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:41 pm

aidiore wrote:There was a time when Henry Miller in his crappy offcie at the postal service of U.S, haunted me with the irracional complications of a pretty simple life...and that was a good time....

then...from the darkest pit of nonsense...one british b...mmm...lady...rose and give us a new light...a new wind...and then you took that book into your hands...i took that book...and my eyes start bledding...that was because the childlish, bad written, characters horribly "constructed", history of a magician...

and dont get me started with that moron of dan brown...my FSM those books sucks...

Which literary black hole did you crawl out of?
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:29 am

This is why you don't confuse literature with pop fiction.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:49 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:This is why you don't confuse literature with pop fiction.

Excuse me? Just what are you implying by that statement?
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby aidiore on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:04 am

i have to agree with you...usually the people dont consider a book of these a real master piece...instead they say like: its fun to read...nothing else...but with this things (they dont even deserve to be called books) they have overreacted and took the "fun to read thing" to far...

Which literary black hole did you crawl out of?[/quote]

a hole filled with henry miller life, the clever garcia marquez, the spice of tolstoi, and the bitterness of nietzsche...thats the place that made who i am...

and i hate to see our young ones to be the morons followers of these things...i admit it...i read the firsto two of those books...and they suck...but it was fun to read...but not enough to create these cults around them...its not worth it...
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:16 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:

That Dan Brown is the Tom Clancy of religious conspiracy thrillers. JK Rowling is considerably better but exists to sell a fuckload of books, like Dan Brown. I think Harry Potter is in the grey zone between Literature and pop fiction. However, there's no question about Henry Miller. And if anyone even suggests that Dan Brown is as good as Henry Miller, I will stab them with a Super Star Destroyer.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby aidiore on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:31 am

just stab them????...if anyone will even consider saying that im going to take his skin with a knife really slow...and then make them swim in pool of alcohol
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:11 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:

That Dan Brown is the Tom Clancy of religious conspiracy thrillers. JK Rowling is considerably better but exists to sell a fuckload of books, like Dan Brown. I think Harry Potter is in the grey zone between Literature and pop fiction. However, there's no question about Henry Miller. And if anyone even suggests that Dan Brown is as good as Henry Miller, I will stab them with a Super Star Destroyer.

Angels and Demons was one of the best books I have ever read, and Harry Potter is even better.

How can you possibly insinuate that JK's only goal is to sell fuckloads of books? She wrote the books because she enjoyed writing. If she was only pandering to the masses, the books would have turned out different.

And, the two books I have read by Dab Brown were also very well written. The theme has nthing to do with my appraisal of the book.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby WelshRarePasta on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:06 pm

Who cares if the purpose is to sell lots of books? Does the author's purpose in writing have any correlation to the quality of the book? I can think of at least two famous, and undoubtedly literary, authors whose sole purpose in writing was to make lots and lots of money (relatively speaking for their times) and managed to do alright:

Shakespeare
Charles Dickens

And, just for the record, I don't actually care that much for either (I'll take One Hundred Years of Solitude over Hamlet and anything by Pratchett rather than A Tale of Two Cities anyday).

However, wanting to make money as an author is no crime... writing absolutely nonsensical drivel might be, but who's the smarty now? I suspect Dan Brown is loafing on some beach in the Mediterranean with a cocktail with umbrella in one hand and a fine topless SoEuro babe (or whatever his preference might be) at the other. Money-grubbing hack of a literary whore he might be, but stupid is unlikely.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Capellini on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:10 pm

Ok, I consider myself extremely well-read, and HIGHLY discriminating, and I consider Harry Potter to be literature.

Dan Brown, not even close.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby aidiore on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:31 pm

my god...is like saying that their adaptations are even movies...with they are not
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby WelshRarePasta on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:33 pm

You aren't alone there! I have a literature degree sadly enough (and not that that comes even remotely close to meaning anything), and I'm generally not ashamed to say that I quite like Harry Potter ;) The Potter stories are well written, have strong cultural resonance, are quite consistent with the History of Ideas.

However, there will always be those who insist that stories written for children can't possibly be literature. Oh well, what can you do?
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Capellini on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:21 pm

WelshRarePasta wrote:You aren't alone there! I have a literature degree sadly enough (and not that that comes even remotely close to meaning anything), and I'm generally not ashamed to say that I quite like Harry Potter ;) The Potter stories are well written, have strong cultural resonance, are quite consistent with the History of Ideas.

However, there will always be those who insist that stories written for children can't possibly be literature. Oh well, what can you do?

You can smack them. They are generally people who are unwilling to add television to literature as well, which I also think is outdated thinking. There have been a few television shows which exhibit a quality of writing advanced enough to count as literature.

The question is of course, 'what makes something literature'. Harry Potter is an interesting example because, while they started as children's stories (and there is such a thing as children's literature), the maturity level of the work grew with the maturity level of the characters, and regardless of that, their popularity transcends age groups in such a way to show that they are stories with significant resonance.

Anything that raises the intellect of the reader, that challenges them in some way rather than panders, is literature (in my book, at least).
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:41 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:Angels and Demons was one of the best books I have ever read, and Harry Potter is even better.

[snip]

And, the two books I have read by Dab Brown were also very well written. The theme has nthing to do with my appraisal of the book.

I read the da Vinci code when my friends started raving (very apt phrase, IMO) about it. As I zipped through it one night, I amused myself by picking out which bits were lifted from which authors on the 'heresy' shelf in my library. If I had never encountered any of that material before, I might have been much more impressed. He seems to be very good at penning ripping yarns which capture popular imagination, while letting someone else do the research heavy lifting. And I was stunned -- *stunned* I say -- to find nary a mention of any of those other writers in the acknowledgements nor any sort of bibliography.

That he understands his primary market very well and writes to please them is not a strong criticism in a capitalist country... :wink:

On my other favorite board, some of the polyglots had a field day tearing apart his Babelfish-quality 'foreign' phrases in their native languages (at least in the English editions).
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby WelshRarePasta on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:00 pm

I think most people generally use the term literature to apply to what they like... or, there is a school that seems to insist on contrarily dismissing anything labeled literature as elitist and intellectual (not that I've ever quite figured how intellectual became a dirty word in American english).

I quite agree that TV and Film must be admitted into the pantheon of literature, whatever it might mean. Well constructed stories, challenging dialogue, themes which engage complex emotions and thought-processes are not limited to hardcover books on the 'serious' table at Barnes and Noble.

On the TV front, I'd nominate Dexter and Carnivale as literary-quality television. There are others, but those two shows really impress me... and I'll never forgive the bastards for cancelling Carnivale ;(

WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors