How do you make your sauce?

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

How do you make your sauce?

Postby fueledbycoffee on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:31 pm

I'm just a tad proud of my legendary spaghetti sauce (even though I'm apparently the only human capable of eating it. At least without a massive diarrhea attack afterwards.), so I was just wondering what all of your recipes for spaghetti sauce were.

Here's mine:

1 Can of random brand store-bought sauce (I like the Hunt's Zesty & Spicy)

About a quarter of one of those little store-bought spice thingies. Oregano, basil, minced onions, and double that for garlic.

Half a bottle of Texas Pete hot sauce.

Half a bottle of Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce.

Two shots of Jim Beam.

Stir. Boil. Eat with well boiled spaghetti & meatless balls.

And yes, I discovered this wonderful recipe when bored and I decided to mix random shit together.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Re: How do you make your sauce?

Postby FirstMateNate on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:02 pm

Among other things, I like to put cinnamon, ginger and raisins in mine.
I hadn't thought of Jim Beam. I'll have to try that next.
FirstMateNate
Ziti Zealot

Postby WelshRarePasta on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:56 pm

Honestly, that sounds closer to rocket fuel than what I think of as Marinara sauce, but nevertheless quite tasty. I like to make mine ultra simple:

Fresh tomatoes
Fresh basil, oregano, and thyme
Onion, garlic, olive oil
Hot Italian sausage (if desired)

Skin and cook tomatoes down in a pot.
Saute diced onion and garlic in olive oil til transparent in a sausepan, toss in herbs chopped finely, skin and chop in the sausage. Brown sausage for ~5 minutes over medium-low flame.
Add saucepan contents to your tomatoes, toss in a dash of white wine and balsamic vinegar, simmer on very low heat for ~45 minutes.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Cardinal Fang on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:01 am

Either:

Tomato sauce:
1 can of whole plum tomatos
Clove of garlic

Empty the can of tomatos into a colander or sieve and use your hands to squish out all of the juice so you have a nice pulp.
Chop or crush garlic. Fry it in a little oil until clear but not brown.
Add the tomatos. Warm through quickly.
Stir into cooked pasta.

Can add fresh herbs if I've got them.

Or:

The easiest, tastiest Carbonara sauce ever

You need
Pasta
Bacon or pancetta
2 eggs
100g/ 1 - 1 1/2 cups of grated parmesan
A wee bit of oil or butter

Put your pasta on to cook.
Chop bacon or pancetta into strips
Fry bacon in the oil or butter until it's cooked the way you like it - I like mine crispy.
Put this all to one side, oil and all.
Mix 2 beaten egg yolks with half the freshly grated parmesan cheese.

When the pasta is done, drain it quickly and return it to the pan so that there's a tiny bit of water still there.
OFF THE HEAT - add in the bacon (with the oil) and stir.
Add the eggs and stir.

When the eggs hit the pasta it forms this creamy cheesy sauce. This is why you don't do it on the heat, so the eggs don't scramble.

Serve with the other half of the parmesan on top.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Ubi Dubium on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:24 am

One Jar of random cheapo spaghetti sauce
A big dollop of Worchestershire, and a bigger dollop of whatever wine is hanging around.
A good squirt of Sriracha
A handful of whatever fresh herbs are available in my garden, chopped (currently basil, oregano, thyme, tarragon, sage and rosemary).
A pile of frozen meatballs from the warehouse store.

Simmer at least an hour, and serve over whatever pasta shape the kids are in the mood for.

And - most important - lots and lots of fresh-grated parmesan, and not that dry sandy crap out of a can. A restaurant tried to serve one of my kids that impostor cheese once, and she just looked at it and said "I thought it said "with cheese"! And what's this awful stuff?"
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Moral Minority on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:37 pm

Soy mayonnaise, mustard, cloves and lemon.

mmmmm...
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby waldo on Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:10 pm

Spaghetti sauce:

I grow my own tomatoes, onion, garlic, and herbs. The FSM loves my sauce because everything is home grown.
To skin tomatoes just dip them in boiling water for a second or two and dip them in cold water and poof off comes the skin.
DELICIOUS!
Waldo
waldo
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Karban on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:16 pm

:)

Garr Matey, a touch of vegemite works wonders

Garrrr...lic is jolly rogerin' good - best boil yer pasta well to stop it assumin' deification though

Garrr........

:fsm_float:
Any Pirate worth his Parrot would give both his wooden legs for a chance at this....Garrr Matey!!!!

Isssthmus! Isthmus? Issthmus! Issssthmus!
Karban
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:37 pm

Half a bulb of garlic (that's about 7-8 cloves)
3 jalapeno chilli peppers
50ml of the best olive oil you can afford
2 cans (out of season) or 1kg (in season) of tomatoes
Fresh basil if you've got it; 2 tsp. pesto if you haven't
300gspaghetti / linguini / tagliatelle

Crush, skin and chop your garlic (use a big chef's knife, a psycho-style one. Crush the garlic with the flat of the blade until it makes a cracking noise, cut the root end off, and the skin should fall right off afterwards. Then chop it finely until it looks like baby food). Finely chop your chilli peppers (leave the seeds in for extra heat, scrape them out first for less heat).

Put the garlic, chillis and olive oil in a cold frying pan and heat it up slowly. When it starts to sizzle, turn it down and fry slowly for long enough to boil the kettle for the pasta.

Once you've put the pasta on to boil (add some more olive oil to the water before you put the pasta in - it stops the pasta from sticking to itself), add the tomatoes and basil / pesto, bring to the boil and simmer until the pasta is done.

Best served with a buxom wench and a couple of bottles of red plonk. Bueno appetito!
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby nicci :) on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:22 pm

IMHO, it's all in the oil. Use the best olive oil you can get.

Oil from the greek salad the night before ... or just make some fresh (soak a chopped tomato in olive oil with origano thyme marjoram & onions for as long as you can). Add chilies etc whatever you want at this stage.

Peppers in a frying pan or under a grill smothered in oil on high heat give the oil an amazingly sweet rich taste (the peppers are pretty dam amzing too)

Grated carrot added after the liquid so they dissolve-ish makes a really smooth sweet effect ... really good if there's a storng tasting ingredient to help blend things

2 shot glasses of whatever red wine we are drinking.

Fresh black pepper while cooking.

Time... really.. time is most important... simmer then get that sauce off the heat .. wait, add a little water, reheat... simmer .

I'm hungry now :)
"Life is a mirror, just drop your shields and look at yourself."
Are you who you want to be?
nicci :)
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby jamieson on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:22 am

saute' garlic and onion
add the ground beef let it brown and cooked
add hotdogs and mushrooms
then add tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
let it boil..
put little bit of salt and pepper to taste

that's how i cook my spaghetti sauce!
jamieson
Conchigliette Convert

Postby PKMKII on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:00 pm

jamieson wrote:saute' garlic and onion
add the ground beef let it brown and cooked
add hotdogs and mushrooms
then add tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
let it boil..
put little bit of salt and pepper to taste

that's how i cook my spaghetti sauce!

Hotdogs? Your're not filipino, are you?

Anyway, this is my "Little old Italian lady from Brooklyn" basic marinara. You can multiply the recipe depending on how many "cans" worth of sauce you want to make.

28-oz can of crushed tomatoes*
3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/4 of a large onion, finely chopped
sprinkle of chopped basil leaves (only necessary if the can of tomatoes doesn't already have basil in it)
a splash of roasting/frying olive oil (This idea that you have to use Extra Virgin olive oil for absolutely everything in cooking is a common myth. For basic sauteing, a cheaper frying olive oil imparts a more appropriate flavor)

Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a frying pan. And onions and saute for a few minutes, then add the garlic. Saute until the onions turn translucent, but be careful not to burn the garlic. Burnt garlic will destroy a pot of sauce. Put the onions, garlic, tomatoes (and possibly the basil) in a medium-to-large sized pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30-45 minutes, or until the sauce has reached the desired thickness.

Said little old Italian lady also has an awesome meat sauce variation on this, but that's of the "high guarded family secret entrusted to family members and immediate friends of the family" variety.

*(note on using fresh tomatoes: unless you grew them yourself, or you bought them directly from the farmer, canned tomatoes are better. Why? Because tomatoes you buy from the supermarket are bred for two things: long shelf life and the toughness to handle the commercial shipping process. Taste is not a concern. Tomatoes grown for canning, however, do not need to be shipped, or handle sitting on the shelf, so they can be grown with taste as the primary concern).
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby VermontPastafarian on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Yellow Sauce

Ingredients
5 ripe yellow tomatoes (Sweeter and less acidic) - Blended
1/4 cup Olive Oil Blend (I use Marconi brand)
3 leaves fresh basil
1 Bulb Roasted Garlic (I Mash them and then stir them in)
2 Small Shallots Diced
1 Glass of Almaden Mountain Burgundy Wine (the rest will like be consumed with the meal)
Liberal dashes of Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
VermontPastafarian
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Robert.Dowsett on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:56 pm

3 onions, 6 cloves of garlic, diced and microwaved (I know), while I brown 1.7 kg mince with a good dollop of white wine. Add 4 tins of crushed tomatoes, 3 containers of tomato concentrate, the onions and garlic, bay leaves, oregano, rosemary and basil.
Simmer for 8 hours, refrigerate overnight, enjoy and freeze remaining in single or double serves (350 or 700 gms).
Robert.Dowsett
Conchigliette Convert

Return to Food