How's your library?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: How's your library?

Postby Edd on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:17 pm

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:I have no money left, but I'm saving up to buy more books.

Also, I've found a cache of books in my massive garage/shed combination. There's about 500 or so in there, all safely stored in boxes. Lucky it doesn't leak.

Three words: used book stores.

Oh, and cover those boxes with a tarp or something. I lost about a hundred books to an unexpected leak when I left them at my parents house after I moved out.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:22 pm

There's a charity in Baltimore that collects books and runs a "store" where you go in, grab as many books as you can, and run, totally free. It's boss. I'm up there every couple of weeks.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:06 am

Edd wrote:
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:I have no money left, but I'm saving up to buy more books.

Also, I've found a cache of books in my massive garage/shed combination. There's about 500 or so in there, all safely stored in boxes. Lucky it doesn't leak.

Three words: used book stores.

Oh, and cover those boxes with a tarp or something. I lost about a hundred books to an unexpected leak when I left them at my parents house after I moved out.

They're safe. The box is laced with plastic. (On the inside.)

And the local bookshop just closed down, as I mentioned. They're few and far between around here.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby tinytim on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:43 am

Well in my apartment I have a fullsized bookcase and half size full, with a stack of books beside my bed. Total for my immeadiate family though......
Brothers house whole upstairs hallway lined with bookshelves, floor to ceiling approx (8x4 with 6 shelves each, 7 of them)....full.
Parents house. My bedroom 1 bookcase full, brothers room 1 bookcase full, office double layered bookcase full covering entire wall, bookcase in the basement full, large stack of books by my parents bed.

I like reading, when I traveled for work was proabably reading 50-60 books /year. Now proabbly only 20-30.
"Beer is constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

"I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology." - Thomas Jefferson

"I am a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four." -Joel Rosenberg

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise there wouldn't be religious people." - House
tinytim
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby uptheblues on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:21 pm

As a kid I wanted to play football and/or cricket for England, go to the moon and have my own library. Looks like only 1 of the 3 is still possible. I only have 2 floor to ceiling bookshelves of books but a lot of moving around (in England and around the world) doesn't help. I think there's also a couple of boxes at my mum's house, although my brother may have liberated a few of them by now.

I am sure that one day I will settle down, not to have kids or any such stuff, but just to get my books sorted out.
6.5 on the Delusion Scale.
uptheblues
Conchigliette Convert

Postby LuckyLuigi on Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:15 pm

My library (deservedly) hates me as I have not bought a single book this year :cry:
So far three bookcases bursting at the seams.
LuckyLuigi
Conchigliette Convert

Postby fueledbycoffee on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:31 pm

I finally actually looked through my library, and while I find it glorious, it is the shame of my parents. Maybe 100 prose novels, and about a million-and-a-half comic books. Schway.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:38 am

I had a largish bookcase from Ikea which was full so I looked on e bay for a matching one (partly to get a bargain and partly because a trip to Ikea in London is a total nightmare). I ended up getting two bookcases for my bid and I planned to keep one and put the other back on e bay. Within a few months the new bookcase is almost full and the third one is full of childrens books...doh!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:48 pm

I use something called the Kindle, named after the act of starting a fire.

Interesting device.

Amazing display.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Edd on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:25 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:I use something called the Kindle, named after the act of starting a fire.

Interesting device.

Amazing display.

I’ve been thinking of getting one but since the number of books available in print far outweighs the number available for the Kindle, I think even if I do, my library will continue to grow.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:19 pm

Where else but online am I supposed to find The Art of War?
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Edd on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:49 am

I had no trouble finding my hard copy at the local Barnes and Noble about ten years ago. Have things really changed so much that the classic The Art of War is only available online?
"Oook." - The Librarian

Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:08 am

I saw it at a local book store (Borders, I think) a few months ago. It's a pretty common book.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:32 pm

I gave a copy to a cousin's son when he graduated from high school.

He looked at me blankly: not one other person at the family's party had ever heard of it.

sigh.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:48 pm

pieces o'nine wrote:not one other person at the family's party had ever heard of it.

sigh.

...What?
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors