How's your library?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

How's your library?

Postby Rainswept on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:39 am

So, I'm moving next month and I began packing this morning. I stopped by the bookstore to bum boxes for moving and scored 15 boxes. Once I started filling them I found that 15 book-boxes isn't even enough for my actual books.

I've got 5 full bookshelves and one waist high one. One of the fulls is for magazines, comics, graphic novels, and video-game guides etc. The rest is books. Once I own my own home I plan on having a library room.

You guys?
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Re: How's your library?

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:52 am

Two full bookshelves, along with two full end tables, (two shelves in each) and working on a third bookshelf, which happens to be exceptionally long, around 2-3m. (Equivalent of two bookshelves, roundabouts.)

Local bookshop had a closing down sale, so we (my family and I) scored around 100-200 books. We're putting them on my new bookshelf as we finish them.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:54 am

*sob* My comic collection , all gone matey...sold , given away and stolen *sigh*.
My love affair with collecting first additions ended some time ago along with all the esoteric paper stuff I used to collect like pop up books , cards , stamps etc .these days I'm trying to get rid of stuff .
All I have left is four boxes of reference books , any paperbacks I buy gets traded or passed around or stored on someone's else's bookshelf .
Anyways , this house is rather small for a library and I wonder if I'm going to stay so my answer is no .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Moral Minority on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:36 am

I don't read as much. I go for quality rather than quantity of books. I must say, hovewer, that I gave out my Macedonian-language collection of books (which was enough to fill my entire room) to my brother... he doesn't read at all, so it is safe to assume that I have given my booksaway for nothing.

Will post pics of my favourite books soon.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:28 am

At last count, I had 68+ linear feet of books.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:43 am

Pathetic. There are so many books I don't have.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:04 pm

My car's trunk is filled with books, and I have two closets full of them. Along with a random book strewn here or there. My library's awesome in a pathetically bad way.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Elastoman on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:51 pm

Right now it's all in boxes. There aren't a lot of books in those boxes, but they're all ones that I like. And multiple copies of some of them (The Monkey Wrench Gang for example) because when I loan them out, I don't expect them to ever come back. We'll see how many shelf feet they occupy after I get moved.

~E.
There's no need to stand on ceremony, nor call to impress.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:21 pm

I smiled at your 15 boxes for moving, Rain. Yes, you underestimated.

I've done two major moves in the last four years: for the first I pared my lifetime accumulated reference & reading library from *cough* EIGHT *cough* floor-to-ceiling bookcases in my library/studio room down to five. (Granted, I had videos and music there as well, but still...) The local high school art teachers got a nice boost for references, and I released most of my theology (and heresy!) texts to people who would benefit from them. I still had forty (40) 'medium-sized' boxes of books, dvds and cds.

Can you say, 'biceps'? :D

Recent move pared down further: I arrived here with only thirty 'medium-sized' boxes. I'm down to (six) 6' tall bookshelves without the 22" extensions that took them to the ceiling in the old place. Gak!!! I'm running out of books!!!

And I always cough up money for book boxes at U-Haul so they're new, sturdy, and stack well. A co-worker gave me a tote bag long ago with a quote by Desiderius Erasmus: "When I have a little money, I buy books. And if any is left, I buy food and clothing." I am amazed at how many people live with no visible signs* of literacy.

* Unless you count TV Guide, I guess. :?
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Edd on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:49 pm

Rough estimate: about 800 books in my personal library. That’s not including my wife’s or daughter’s books or any movies or cd's. I have three six foot high bookshelves, two three foot high bookshelves, all full to overflowing and stacks of books in a closet. I had to give up my library room temporarily to make room for some family members who moved in about eight months ago. As soon as a room becomes available again, I’ll find another bookshelf or two. Books are my passion.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Cricket on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:52 pm

When I was a kid, my sister came home from school in tears, with a rather snarky note from her second grade teacher stating that said sister was over-reacting and being ridiculous...because she'd freaked when given her homework assignment - count the books in your house.

After we split the house up in sections and spent all evening counting, my mother sent her own note back, with the total (2000 and some), and a sternly worded warning to the teacher to get over herself.

Fifteen years (and half again as many books) later, my ex looked around with concern and said "Our house isn't going to end up looking like your mother's, is it?" (I was building bookcases at the time).

Pretty much, it did. Someday I'll count them, but I'm guessing close to 2000...I don't buy a lot I would have before the internet.
Empusa's crew, so naked-new they may not face the fire,
But weep that they bin too small to sin to the height of their desire,
(Kipling)
Cricket
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:56 pm

That's why I count my books in linear feet. Measure a single shelf, multiply by the number of shelves on that bookcase. Repeat for each additional bookcase (remeasuring when moving to one of a different width).
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:35 pm

Well, if linear size matters, I'm down to just a tad over 111 linear feet of books.

(dvs and cds have since found their own, antique bookcase)

[EDIT] The tad is an archaic unit of measure, like chain and cubit and stadium. [/EDIT]
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Wawizzle on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:51 pm

I have a closet littered with books on the top shelf and on the floor.

Defiantly nothing to compare to the massive Rainswept Library.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:53 am

I have no money left, but I'm saving up to buy more books.

Also, I've found a cache of books in my massive garage/shed combination. There's about 500 or so in there, all safely stored in boxes. Lucky it doesn't leak.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors