The Dark Knight

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby Thesuperamazing on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:45 pm

Robbobrob wrote:As was said on the radio, Ledger's Joker makes Nickelson's Joker look like an SNL skit version.

I heard it made Nickelson's look like a grumpy Ronald McDonald.

Best superhero movie ever, hands down.
Ignorance is bliss
Thesuperamazing
Ziti Zealot

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:17 am

Thesuperamazing wrote:Best superhero movie ever, hands down.

I second that notion.

Taidje, if you are reading, I graciously admit defeat. I have lost our bet. When (if) you return, the conditions shall be met.
That rhymes.

The Dark Knight blew my mind. Heath Ledger would have won numerous awards for his acting, whether he was alive or dead. The film itself, not counting The Joker, was brilliant. My favourite movie since Fight Club, I quite happily admit.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Deci23 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:51 am

Love this movie. I went in thinking it was going be really good. I came out thinking it was the best damn movie I had ever seen. The Joker... now my favorite villain ever. I have a soft spot for villains and this line just about killed me: "I think you and I are destined to do this forever."

Because of that line, I experienced the fastest decline of excitement in my life. I was thinking of there being another Batman film with The Joker but then I remembered that this Joker won't be in any future Batman films. Heath Ledger was absolutely awesome and the whole time I couldn't believe it was him! He was one of my favorite actors and in this movie, he gave me chills. It's disappointing that we won't get to see him in this role again.

Definitely going to see this movie again. I always liked Batman and have seen all the previous movies, and looking back at some of them, this movie makes them look cheesy. I still like them and will watch them when they come on TV though. :D

I love how The Joker used different stories to explain how he got his scars. I couldn't help but laugh. As scary as he is, he's got a sick sense of humor that I like. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person. :fsm_ninja:
::Forum Lurker::
Deci23
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby MeatballEucharist on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:13 pm

Thesuperamazing wrote:Best superhero movie ever, hands down.

Agreed. A friend of mine told me before I saw it that he thought Handcock was better (which crushed me because I respect his movie opinions). But after I saw it and hung out with him a few days later and I put my 3 ticket stubs for TDK in his face, lightly slapped him and said, "Your opinions on movies are revoked until further notice." My group of friends all tease him for being a Will Smith fanboy and play "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" to taunt him. Was I too harsh?
Jesus man! you dont look for acid! acid finds you when *it* thinks you're ready.
-Hunter S Thompson
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins.
-Christopher Hitchens
A lot of people pass through the thinking I'm a guru and take enough trips to understand that no, I was just a witness. I was just a witness. -Terence McKenna
MeatballEucharist
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Thesuperamazing on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:23 pm

MeatballEucharist wrote: Was I too harsh?

Nah, sounds like he deserved it. :P
Ignorance is bliss
Thesuperamazing
Ziti Zealot

Postby Elastoman on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:00 am

Finally saw it.

I've been a fan for a long, long time. Even the Adam West years.

My response, after some thought -

"Holy shit! I mean...I jus..er...like...they...he....Holy Shit!"

I need to see it again. Soonish. Tomorrow, probably. And then, again. Holy shit!

~E.
There's no need to stand on ceremony, nor call to impress.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:21 am

Now, I don't say this often, but I liked it so much that I am going to buy it when it comes out on DVD. I usually download, but I am perfectly happy to pay for a film of that calibre.

I walked out of that cinema pretty much the same way Elasto did.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Rainswept on Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:58 am

I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:15 am

I loved it. Brilliant. The Joker, Two-Face, Gordon, all of my favorite characters they got right. And even though I find some issue with him, Christian Bale is still the best Batman so far. It captured the feel of the comics perfectly, and was a pretty stunning action movie to boot.

I think my only complaint is that it wasn't as good as the graphic novel that clearly inspired it, but few things are as good as [i}The Killing Joke.[/i]
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Rainswept on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:08 pm

I think it held up well to Killing Joke. I liked leaving his origins a tangled mess of lies that not even Batman can unravel, and I actually liked the movie Two-Face origin more than I liked it in the comics.

Dark Knight does miss the Barbara Gordon thing, but she's like 5 in the movie so it's not like that would fit well.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:26 pm

I think the biggest issue with retconning the Batman movies like this is that they take place during the very beginning of Batman's career, but they choose to go with stories from much later. This one in particular introduced a character, while depending on a story exploring the years-old relationship between him and Batman. It just didn't hit me as hard as The Killing Joke

The Joker did seem slightly different in both film and book, too. One of the things I liked was that the Joker from TDK was young, sociopathic, and gleefully insane. Yet, his counterpart from The Killing Joke was older, still mad, but desperate, trying to rationalize his existence. A nice, little detail there.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Flying Pasta on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:19 pm

All I can say is R.I.P. Heath Ledger.
I'm gunna miss him. =[

But still, it was an amazing movie. Saw it a couple days ago.
Flying Pasta
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Thesuperamazing on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:48 pm

Flying Pasta wrote:All I can say is R.I.P. Heath Ledger.
I'm gunna miss him. =[

But still, it was an amazing movie. Saw it a couple days ago.

Welcome to the forums!
Thesuperamazing
Ziti Zealot

Postby pieces o'nine on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:25 pm

Welcome, Flying Pasta.

Don't forget to stop by the New Converts Thread and make an introductory post there.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Elastoman on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:10 pm

So, uh....not sure where to post this, but this'll have to do.

DISCLOSURE: I have, right now, a stack of Marvel comics backdated to the early seventies sitting in my living room. I've read them all several times. I am, Batman's prowess notwithstanding, a Marvel Fan.

I just watched Iron Man and The Hulk back to back, in that order, and each for the first time.

Iron Man left me giggling with glee. Serious, childish glee. The fact that Ray Rhodes' ringtone was the theme from the old Iron Man cartoon? Priceless. The Hulk was a tour de force - beautiful in it's conception, excellent in execution. Lou Ferigno as the security guard? Also Priceless.

Then I saw the Teaser.

Then I stopped breathing.

I stared at the screen for a while. I'm not sure how long. I finished my drink during that time, but don't remember doing it. When I finally got up, I almost fell over. My feet were asleep. The possibilities were astounding.

Why, for instance, did Iron Man's captor have that giant ring? A nod to The Mandarin? My bet is yes. And in The Hulk, Samuel Stearns, later The Leader, is last seen with his forehead pulsing and a maniacal grin. Foreshadowing? Yep. And why is it that Bruce is lead to British Columbia? Wendigo, perhaps?

And then, the Teaser. Tony's putting together a team with General Ross. Tony is in contact with S.H.I.E.L.D.

Avengers, ASSEMBLE!

Time for me to lie down for a while.

~E.

EDIT: So I, apparently, have been living in a cave.

In August 2006, Marvel Entertainment's "Marvel Studios Overview Presentation" listed the Avengers as a property under development for a film, with Zak Penn as screenwriter.[27] In a May 5, 2008, report to shareholders, Marvel Entertainment announced the release dates for two planned Avenger movies. The First Avenger: Captain America (working title) is scheduled for May 6, 2011, followed by The Avengers, scheduled for July 2011.[28]

The first reference in film to the Avengers is in Iron Man (2008), in a post-credits scene of Nick Fury (played by Samuel L. Jackson) speaking with Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) about the "Avenger Initiative." At the conclusion of The Incredible Hulk (2008), Tony Stark briefly speaks with General Thunderbolt Ross (William Hurt) regarding the formation of a team.

From Wikipedia. Jesus-h-marinara-Christ!

Back in my box -

~E.
There's no need to stand on ceremony, nor call to impress.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors