When I see this, I will be able to die happy

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

When I see this, I will be able to die happy

Postby Moral Minority on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:47 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/jul ... wonderland

Tim Burton is the best director in the world. Disagree and I will murder you with Zankou's dictionary.

Alice in Wonderland was my favourite book as a child. it affected me much more than any other book, including vampire books and flicks. This movie has a recipe for win.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Re: When I see this, I will be able to die happy

Postby Rainswept on Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:49 am

Moral Minority wrote:Tim Burton is the best director in the world.

Stephen Spielberg? Ron Howard? The Coen Brothers? Clint Eastwood? Robert Zemeckis? Mel Brooks?

Burton's good, I'll grant you, but the best? No.

I'll watch anything directed by Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Ratatouille)
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Capellini on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:46 am

Excuse me, Alfred freaking Hitchcock thank you very much.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:17 am

*Ahem* pardon me, but I feel I absolutely must put forward the name of Akira Kurosawa.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Rainswept on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:11 pm

Why? He had one great movie and hardly anyone has even seen anything else he's done.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:18 pm

The number of people who see a film hardly has any effect on how good it was. Everyone's heard of The Seven Samurai, but I find that Yojimbo, Rashomon, and Ikiru were very nearly as good.

At the same time, I would take issue with your selections, particularly Brad Bird and Robert Zemeckis. While both are certainly good, neither has blown me away. Besides, if you were going to nominate a director based on his work with Pixar, Andrew Stanton would be the only reasonable choice. Wall-E was pure genius. It was unique, well-executed, hilarious, and a box-office smash.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby MeatballEucharist on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:50 pm

Burton is king. The man made Edward Scissorhands...and I want to clone his wife. Moral you made me ruin my shorts with baby batter after reading this.
Jesus man! you dont look for acid! acid finds you when *it* thinks you're ready.
-Hunter S Thompson
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins.
-Christopher Hitchens
A lot of people pass through the thinking I'm a guru and take enough trips to understand that no, I was just a witness. I was just a witness. -Terence McKenna
MeatballEucharist
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Rainswept on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:37 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote: Brad Bird and Robert Zemeckis. While both are certainly good, neither has blown me away. Besides, if you were going to nominate a director based on his work with Pixar, Andrew Stanton would be the only reasonable choice. Wall-E was pure genius. It was unique, well-executed, hilarious, and a box-office smash.

Wall-E was a lot of fun, and looked amazing. All in all it was very simple story, which worked for it as far as it went. The Incredibles remains my all-time favorite animated movie. The plot twisting around a guy trying to juggle being a good husband as well as a superhero, struggling to save people who don't want saved, showed a real family with parents raising kids in a strong, realistic manner, and was full of wonderful insights like his observation that schools keep "finding new ways to celebrate mediocrity". What's more, not everyone agreed with the points he made, such as letting his super-powered kid run in races at school, and when was the last time you saw a cartoon bring up philosophy worth arguing about?

Zemeckis had a 10-year stretch of a hit every 2 years from Romancing the Stone to Forrest Gump, lots of them are still fun to watch over and over. "Those boards don't work on water!" "Unless you've got power!"

I didn't claim either of them are the best directer ever, it's too subjective a category for their to be a winner, I'm just pointing out that Burton is no clear winner.
Rainswept

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:41 pm

All right, that's reasonable. I simply assumed that they were all candidates for the title, given the point of the thread.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Rainswept on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:50 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:The number of people who see a film hardly has any effect on how good it was. Everyone's heard of The Seven Samurai, but I find that Yojimbo, Rashomon, and Ikiru were very nearly as good.

True as far as it goes, but I'm a big movie fan and if those movies are on the same level as Seven Samurai, it's unusual that I've never heard of them.
Rainswept

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Rainswept wrote:
fueledbycoffee wrote:The number of people who see a film hardly has any effect on how good it was. Everyone's heard of The Seven Samurai, but I find that Yojimbo, Rashomon, and Ikiru were very nearly as good.

True as far as it goes, but I'm a big movie fan and if those movies are on the same level as Seven Samurai, it's unusual that I've never heard of them.

Some of his movies, such as Rashomon, are hugely influential, even more so than Seven Samurai. Rashomon was the first movie to feature the "one crime, several conflicting stories" plot device that is used very, very often these days. Yojimbo inspired Leone's Man With No Name series. However, many of his best movies are virtually unknown in the West, simply because they're concerned with Japanese culture. Since he started releasing movies in the 40's, during the anti-Japanese backlash, they didn't come over until much later, and many western audience didn't get them, because of the culture difference. After all, Seven Samurai only recieved any attention over here after it was made into a cowboy movie, The Magnificent Seven. However, he's always been hugely popular in Japan, and most Americans who actually bother to find his more obscure movies consider them to be absolutely phenomenal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Moral Minority on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Rainswept wrote:Stephen Spielberg? Ron Howard? The Coen Brothers? Clint Eastwood? Robert Zemeckis? Mel Brooks?

Urgh....

Capellini wrote:Excuse me, Alfred freaking Hitchcock thank you very much.

I watch Hitchcock movies for a laugh.

fbc wrote:Akira Kurosawa.

Partial agreement here.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:40 pm

Moral Minority wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/jul/24/timburton.aliceinwonderland

Tim Burton is the best director in the world. Disagree and I will murder you with Zankou's dictionary.

Alice in Wonderland was my favourite book as a child. it affected me much more than any other book, including vampire books and flicks. This movie has a recipe for win.

OH MY FSM!

This will rock absolutely!
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:32 pm

Rainswept wrote:

Sorry matey , if you haven't heard/seen of Yojimbo and Rashomon , consider yourself a movie fan but not a big one movie fan .

RegArrrrrrds , Willy :D
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Elastoman on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:47 pm

Mad Willyum Bonney wrote:
Rainswept wrote:

Sorry matey , if you haven't heard/seen of Yojimbo and Rashomon , consider yourself a movie fan but not a big one movie fan .

RegArrrrrrds , Willy :D

I'm with th' Admiral on this one. And Throne of Blood, while not an original script, was awesome.

Moral Minority wrote:I watch Hitchcock movies for a laugh.

*facepalm*

And while I certainly wouldn't include him in the list of "all time great directors," I really like Robert Rodriguez - maybe more for his philosophy than for the films themselves. The "15 minute (insert subject here) school" shorts are brilliant.

~E.
There's no need to stand on ceremony, nor call to impress.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors