POKARRRR!

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: POKARRRR!

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:12 am

Doesn't seem to work on my parent's comp. Piece of shit. I'll try and get it to work, then. See you tomorrow.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Moral Minority on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:55 am

Poker sucks.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:55 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:Are there any online games where money isn't bet to practice in? You know, just for the fun of it?

I play on the Facebook network , find and choose the Texas hold 'em application , you get free chips every day you log on . You may also earn chips as well as win them .
Let me know if you have trouble getting in and I'll e-mail you an invite if you wish .

PS. last time I was there were over 200,000,000 players .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby black bart on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:38 am

I used to play Texas Holdum on Second Life before they banned all gambling. It was good because you were playing on big tables for Linden Dollars (about 400 to the US dollar) and the players had all sorts of weird avatars.

At the moment I've got a Texas Holdem game on my ipod...a good way to practise if you're learning.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Edd on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:38 am

Strategy recommendation: Learn as much as you can about the statistical possibilities of winning poker hands and commit them to memory. You will soon see why you should never draw to an inside straight – which brings us to our next topic, the lingo.

This is as much a part of poker as the cards. When someone refers to ‘the river’ or a ‘hole card,’ it helps if you know what is being discussed.

Personally, I consider Texas Hold ‘em a spectator sport and I’m not much of an athlete. I enjoy watching it, but when I play, I don’t play to make money. I grew up playing five card draw and seven card stud (or as we used to say, seven card ‘Edd’ [boy, that joke never gets old]). The fondest memories I have of my high school years and the years shortly after were of sitting around drinking and playing poker with my buddies until 4 or 5 in the morning. I never won or lost more than a hundred dollars in one night but I enjoyed it immensely.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Deci23 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:01 pm

This is really cool. I've always wanted to learn how to play Poker but no one could explain it to me--at least, not well enough for me to understand. I'll have to bookmark this thread.

...now, I just need to find some people to play with so I can get some practice.
::Forum Lurker::
Deci23
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Wawizzle on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:02 pm

Deci23 wrote:This is really cool. I've always wanted to learn how to play Poker but no one could explain it to me--at least, not well enough for me to understand. I'll have to bookmark this thread.

...now, I just need to find some people to play with so I can get some practice.

I want to try and start a FSM Poker Table on the website I listed in the other page.

Or, we could find one on any other service; as long as we can all connect and locate each other in the same table, all is well. :D
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:58 pm

I can't get it to work, on either computer. Dammit. These damn things haven't been upgraded since we were all in danger of being eaten by dinosaurs, though. I'll have to try my friend's comp when I go up there next week.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Wawizzle on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:48 pm

All that is necessary is to have an AOL account.

Do your computers not have a flash player for your internet browser or something?
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby fueledbycoffee on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:09 pm

They do. They have Flash and Java, but when I try to get it to load, it acts like it loading, then I get a white screen, with the AOL games logo in the lower corner.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Wawizzle on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:41 pm

That sucks. Damn.

Maybe somebody else knows a way we can gather a bunch of pastafarians together to play some poker.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Capellini on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:56 pm

Umm, Wizzie my dear? It's an 'ante', not an 'annie'. It's the standard term referring to the amount any player must put in the pot as a buy in to start the game, and is applicable to all games of poker. They are called 'blinds' in hold 'em because unlike a typical ante, they must only be paid by two players each round, so the 'blind' refers to the fact that this amount is paid into the pot before any cards are dealth, i.e. blind. Technically ALL antes are blinds, but in most poker games everyone antes equally, so there is no advantage. In Hold 'em, all the players who are not blinds for that round get the advantage of seeing their cards for free.

And yes, it's the same root word as antebellum, it's the latin term for 'before', or 'beforehand'.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Wawizzle on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:21 pm

Capellini wrote:Umm, Wizzie my dear? It's an 'ante', not an 'annie'. It's the standard term referring to the amount any player must put in the pot as a buy in to start the game, and is applicable to all games of poker. They are called 'blinds' in hold 'em because unlike a typical ante, they must only be paid by two players each round, so the 'blind' refers to the fact that this amount is paid into the pot before any cards are dealth, i.e. blind. Technically ALL antes are blinds, but in most poker games everyone antes equally, so there is no advantage. In Hold 'em, all the players who are not blinds for that round get the advantage of seeing their cards for free.

And yes, it's the same root word as antebellum, it's the latin term for 'before', or 'beforehand'.

Well the people who taught me poker called them "annie's". Sorry about that.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:34 pm

Wawizzle wrote: The two players closest to the dealer are called "small" and "big" and have to put in the "annie" which is the minimum requirement to bet (varies with tables).

Its actually called the "ante". And I've never heard it called an ante in Hold em, just big and small blinds. An ante is in games like five card draw or seven card stud where everyone has to put the same amount before the cards are dealt.

Hold em can get expensive but not if you are playing in a tournament. You just pay a flat fee to get in the game and get a bunch of chips. A local bar does a tournament three nights a week. You pay $10 or $15 to buy in (depending on how many chips you want) and the payout for winning the whole thing is usually about $400 (depending on how many people are playing).

I hate Hold em and I suck at it. There are so many poker games that are way more fun, but ever since they started putting Hold em on TV thats all anyone wants to play.

My favorite game is "Follow the Bitch". Its a seven card stud game. In seven card stud it goes like this: Ante-----2 cards down 1 up--bet---1 up--bet--1up --bet--1up--bet--1 down--bet. In follow the bitch the queen and whatever follows her is wild (if she comes face up). So if I get a face up queen the next persons next face up card becomes wild (if its a 4 then all 4s are now wild). But if another queen comes up the wild card can change. This is great when 1 person gets a wild card, bets big, and then it changes and they lose.

I miss poker. At a restaurant I worked at everyone went poker crazy. Including the managers and owner. We started playing in the restaurant after closing. Employees could get $1 16oz drafts, and they'd let us keep pouring them all night long.

We played "Dealers Choice". The dealer rotates but the dealer gets to choose what game you play. One night I went to work at 5pm and made $100 waiting tables. I was there until 6am the next day and made $250 playing poker.

The best and worst game ever is "Acey Ducey". Lets say 7 people ante a buck. First person to the dealer gets two face up cards. They can bet whatever they want up to the pot amount ($7). If the next card is in between the first two cards they win their bet. If its not they put their bet in the pot. If the third card matches one of the first two they pay double. I once saw a $1 ante game go up to $480 before someone took the whole pot.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby PantyGnawer on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:38 pm

There were many many cross posts while I was typing that.

I have played over at Yahoo games and have an account. I'll play you guys there if you'd like.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes