What is the strangest movie you have ever seen?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What is the strangest movie you have ever seen?

Postby Elastoman on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:09 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:Hehe, got me a movie, I want you to know! Slicin' up eyeballs, I want you to know...

Never been a part of that particular subbacultcha - always seemed a little tame to me. But Hey - if I weren't chained to this desk all day, or chasin' caribou while I wait for the happening, well, this monkey could, in fact, make it to heaven.

Funny enough, that song's why I watched the flick in the first place. Unfortunately neither the movie nor the lyrics of Black Francis make much more sense after the viewing.

~E.
There's no need to stand on ceremony, nor call to impress.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:15 pm

Frankly (pun intended), I think both are perfectly meaningless. Debaser slightly less so, but neither really has a message, to me at least.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:36 am

I reckon Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind is incredibly strange. I liked it, still.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Elastoman on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:34 pm

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:I reckon Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind is incredibly strange. I liked it, still.

Yarrr!
There's no need to stand on ceremony, nor call to impress.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby chauauauapopotuki on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:41 pm

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, fer sure...I was like this O_O the whole movie, no idea what was happening
chauauauapopotuki
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:01 pm

Just so you know, "Fear and Loathing" was actually sort of a sequal to "Where the Buffalo Roam" which of course is also about the life of gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson. Both are equally strange in my opinion. On a related note, i just saw another odd one called "Southland Tales". SO BIZZARE!!! LOTS of stuff going on...but loosely associated at best. Give it a look, preferably under the influence of your chemical of choice (if you're "of age", but if not oh well).

Scott
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby WelshRarePasta on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:18 pm

I was really disappointed in Southland Tales... I expected better from our Donnie Darko creators. Oh well.

Not sure how we are using the term 'strange' here, but I'll post two suggestions that might loosely fit some possible criteria...

Mindwalk is definitely throught-provoking, and thought-provoking is a strange thing for movies to be in this day and age.

The Hours is so badly made that it deserves no mention... and yet, it managed to be so god-awful PC that people have felt the need to treat it as if it were actually thought-provoking and profound. A sad state of affairs for both the film and criticism industries.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby WelshRarePasta on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:21 pm

Wait, I got one!

Death Race 2000 (not to be confused with the bound to be dreadfully remade Hollywood spectacular to be released soon) is gloriously strange, bad, and bizzarre. The acting is horrible, the premise is utterly fucking ridiculous, the ending is quite possibly evidence for the existence of a 13th dimension (at right angles to sanity), and it is absolutely fascinating! Strange at its best.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby pieces o'nine on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:26 pm

Not *the* strangest, but strange: the made-for-A&E production of Ursula K LeGuin's Lathe of Heaven.

I loved all her books.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby Scott the Pirate on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:16 pm

One truly great and truly weird film that i havent seen mentioned yet is \Slaughterhouse 5. CLASSIC!
Scott
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby MeatballEucharist on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:One truly great and truly weird film that i havent seen mentioned yet is \Slaughterhouse 5. CLASSIC!
Scott

YES! Great movie...defenatly a good choice sir.

I saw a movie called Stay http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371257/. This movie is kind of depressing, but very interesting and has great innovative visuals.

Of course one must also mention Ken Park...a VERY fucked up movie. Fun for the whole family.
Jesus man! you dont look for acid! acid finds you when *it* thinks you're ready.
-Hunter S Thompson
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins.
-Christopher Hitchens
A lot of people pass through the thinking I'm a guru and take enough trips to understand that no, I was just a witness. I was just a witness. -Terence McKenna
MeatballEucharist
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Scott the Pirate on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:23 pm

Another not necessarily strange, but certianly odd (and again CLASSIC) is The Illustrated Man which is the screen adaptation of the Bradbury tale. Netflix should have that one. On a somewhat related note, did you all know that 300 is actually a remake? It's a new version of the film The 300 Spartans that was made in 1962. It's #22 on my netflix list.

Scott
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby GreenRain22 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:55 pm

Mom and I recently watched The Lost Boys. That was a little odd; especially the ending.

"The only thing that I couldn't stand about Costa Rica (whatever it what) was all the damned vampires."

xD

There's an anime that's a bit on the odd side, called Elfen Lied. Gorey as all get out, naked alien chicks ripping people's limbs off, little girls getting their fingers cut off... I watched it when I was sick and was terroized with nightmares. I still think it's kinda cool, though. >>
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today

(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:15 pm

GreenRain22 wrote:There's an anime that's a bit on the odd side, called Elfen Lied. Gorey as all get out, naked alien chicks ripping people's limbs off, little girls getting their fingers cut off... I watched it when I was sick and was terroized with nightmares. I still think it's kinda cool, though. >>

Elfen Lied was absolutely brilliant. I don't think I've ever fallen as hard for an anime as I did that. It is love. But is wasn't that strange.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:38 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
GreenRain22 wrote:There's an anime that's a bit on the odd side, called Elfen Lied. Gorey as all get out, naked alien chicks ripping people's limbs off, little girls getting their fingers cut off... I watched it when I was sick and was terroized with nightmares. I still think it's kinda cool, though. >>

Elfen Lied was absolutely brilliant. I don't think I've ever fallen as hard for an anime as I did that. It is love. But is wasn't that strange.

I don't mind Elfen Lied. It's a shame it only has around thirteen episodes...
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors