Favorite comedians, perhaps?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Favorite comedians, perhaps?

Postby Wawizzle on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Taidje Khan wrote:Last I heard he was stealing from RICHARD FUCKING PRYOR. That's just stupid. You're supposed to steal from people nobody has ever heard of. Not the greatest comedian of ALL FUCKING TIME.

Who's De-de-de now, bitch?

Here's a vid of my hero, Joe Rogan, calling Carlos out on stage at The Comedy Store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQjzJWUvgk

Afterwards, Joe was banned. FOR EXPOSING CARLOS AS A PLAGIARIST. :x

I absolutely loved that video and I've seen it quite a few times.

Fucking called him out. I think Joe Rogan's balls should be enshrined and hung on a wall with a spotlight on it somewhere.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Moral Minority on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:49 pm

RIP George Carlin.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby black bart on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:40 am

...RIP, and I've only just found out who he is.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Taidje Khan on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:28 pm

Wawizzle wrote:I absolutely loved that video and I've seen it quite a few times.

Fucking called him out. I think Joe Rogan's balls should be enshrined and hung on a wall with a spotlight on it somewhere.

I highly recommend Joe's last comedy album, Shiny Happy Jihad. It's pretty boss.

"I'll go to church with you, if you smoke weed and look through a telescope with me."
R.I.P. George Carlin

FSMMA record: 19-4-0

"My head is bloodied, but unbowed."
Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby fueledbycoffee on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:21 am

My personal favourite is Dylan Moran. I also dig Bill Hicks, Eddie Izzard, Billy Connolly, and anything that Monty Python is even vaguely associated with.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Elastoman on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:50 am

It all comes down to Lenny Bruce, in the end. And to get a bit more modern, Bill Hicks.

And if anyone, ANYONE mentions Dennis Leary, I will wear their guts for garters. He's a thief, and not even a very creative one. Hell, he didn't even change the goddamn timing. If you think Leary is funny, then hit YouTube and watch some Bill Hicks...isn't the resemblance uncanny? Even down to the all black and chain smoking. Shit, the asshole even had the gall to call his first album "No Cure For Cancer" when, guess what, HICKS DIED FROM CANCER. Asshole.

And yeah, Richard Pryor was funny as hell, too. Carlin? Classic. I don't think anyone built on Lenny Bruce's point better than Carlin, but he did it without being a thieving bastard. He was creative, mostly lucid, intelligent, and willing to use it for the betterment of man/woman/other.

Back to my cave.

~E.
There's no need to stand on ceremony, nor call to impress.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Taidje Khan on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:43 am

You're a Hicks fan E? You just jumped way up in my book. You too, Coffee.
R.I.P. George Carlin

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Elastoman on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:38 am

How could I not be?

Bill Hicks wrote:How about a positive LSD story, wouldn’t that be newsworthy, just once, to base your decision on information rather than scare tactics and superstitions, and lies…I think it would be newsworthy. “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we’re the imagination of ourselves. Here’s Tom with the weather.”

And not even a minute later....

Bill Hicks wrote:The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it’s real, because that’s how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round, it has thrills and chills and it’s very brightly colored and it’s very loud and it’s fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, “Hey - don’t worry, don’t be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride.” And we…kill those people. “Shut him up. We have a lot invested in this ride! Shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry…look at my big bank account…and my family…this has to be real.” It’s just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. But it doesn’t matter because: it’s just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It’s only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money; a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off; the eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one. Here’s what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride - take all that money that we spend on weapons and defense each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ73PyMGM2A (NSFW)

~E.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:56 pm

Hicks, Carlin, Pryor, Bruce, Python.

Great comedic taste on this site.

I also like some more modern stuff, like Stephen Lynch, Demitri Martin, Dave Chapelle, and Jeff Dunham.

Good Stuff.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:21 am

Yeah, Hicks was boss. He was actually one of the first comedians I ever saw who could actually make me laugh. My friend hated him though. Hated. He never got the joke, and would always make me listen to Dane Cook afterwards. :?
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Elastoman on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:08 am

Oh man - Eddie Izzard had slipped my mind. Time to hit You Tube until I pass out from laughing.

~E.

EDIT: plan worked. Laughed so hard I cried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoBYYElyP4c&NR=1
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Wawizzle on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:37 pm

Eddie Izzard is fucking awesome.

He doesn't make me fall out of my chair laughing or anything, but I just love listening to his stand-up. He does such a good job at keeping me entertained.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Auntie Blackbeard on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:04 pm

'Ow yer Auntie misses Henny Youngman , Rodney Dangarrfield , Marrten and Lewis , Jack Benny , Thee Marx Brotharrs , Edgarr Bergen an' Charrrrrrley McCarrrrrrrthy et al. *sniff*
Ye Crows Nest be open fer business me dearies.
Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:58 am

O yeah, Izzard and Dangerfield are killer.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Taidje Khan on Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:26 am

Is it wrong for me, a straight dude, to want to get full-on plumbed by ~NoodleDemon~'s avatar? I submit this question to the board.
R.I.P. George Carlin

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors