Most overrated writers/books

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Most overrated writers/books

Postby Cryofdragon on Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:28 am

Books and writers that have a reputation of quality that you disagree with. I'll start with a few of mine:

Ayn Rand: Boring BS, if she wanted to write philosophy just write a damn philosophy book, but she can't do that because her opinions weren't well thought out enough to occupy a book.

Dan Brown: Enough already. He's not a terrible writer, but his stuff is average. I didn't dislike The Da Vinci Code or Angels and Demons per say, but there are other authors who are much better.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy: I like Tolkien, I really do. He's excellent at constructing a fantisy world and a mythology surrounding it. The Silmarillion was great, as well as the collections of his other legendary-style stories. The Hobbit was a great book. Somewhere, though, he went wrong when writing Lord of the Rings. The books simply aren't that good.
Still Alive.
Cryofdragon
Vermicelli Vizier

Re: Most overrated writers/books

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:32 am

The Deltora Quest series. After the first series, it just got plain boring.

There's my two cents... for now.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Moral Minority on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:33 am

Harry Potter.

Seriously, the seventh book is a travesty.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:26 am

I must have ESP or something... or maybe it was so glaringly obvious. I knew you were going to say that.

Also, I've thought of an author.
Robert Ludlum. All of his books are mediocre, bar the Bourne series. They're pretty good. I've still read better.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Rainswept on Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:37 am

Of Human Bondage and Valley of the Dolls.

I dated a girl once who named those two books as her favorites. As is my custom I read both. I wish I had realized right away after reading them that she must be nuts.

I also find the whole Dune series blown way out of proportion. It's not awful like the two books listed above, but the cover claims it's "Science Fiction's Greatest Masterpiece" and whoever thinks that is delusional, or has never read any other science fiction.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:04 am

Rainswept wrote:I also find the whole Dune series blown way out of proportion. It's not awful like the two books listed above, but the cover claims it's "Science Fiction's Greatest Masterpiece" and whoever thinks that is delusional, or has never read any other science fiction.

I beg to differ. It has the history-building/world-building scope of LotR, but has immense social/political/religious/societal commentary, a marvelous story line, superb character development, murder, mystery, intrigue, romance, fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...

Admittedly, I had to pick it up a second time before I realized how good it was, but my first time was sometime in middle school.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rainswept on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:49 am

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:the history-building/world-building scope of LotR, but has immense social/political/religious/societal commentary, a marvelous story line, superb character development, murder, mystery, intrigue, romance, fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...

Don't you quote Princess Bride at me, young man. That's another far better book than Dune =P

In reading this description tho, if you really do look for those listed things, A Song of Ice and Fire blows Dune away.

If I had to pick a favorite sci-fi book it'd be Ender's Game.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Capellini on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:14 am

Stephen King! Dear god someone stop him! Never have I seen so much crap come out of one person and see so many revere it as if it were gold.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Rainswept on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:16 am

Capellini wrote:Stephen King! Dear god someone stop him! Never have I seen so much crap come out of one person and see so many revere it as if it were gold.

King does OK when he keeps it short. The longer his novels get the more they tend to suck.

Anyone who wrote Shawshank Redemption can't be all bad tho!
Rainswept

Postby Capellini on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:27 am

Rainswept wrote:
Capellini wrote:Stephen King! Dear god someone stop him! Never have I seen so much crap come out of one person and see so many revere it as if it were gold.

King does OK when he keeps it short. The longer his novels get the more they tend to suck.

Anyone who wrote Shawshank Redemption can't be all bad tho!

It's an issue of ratio. I think he wrote maybe 6 good books, out of how many total?

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Rainswept on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:30 am

Ok that's true.
Rainswept

Postby Taidje Khan on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:25 pm

Capellini wrote:he wrote X good books

That matters.

Capellini wrote:out of how many total?

That doesn't.
R.I.P. George Carlin

FSMMA record: 19-4-0

"My head is bloodied, but unbowed."
Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Wawizzle on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:36 pm

This seems to be a more of a "lets talk shit about authors we don't like" over "most overrated authors".

You know what? I think Dr. Sues is overrated. All he does is rhyme. A fourth grader can do that.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Capellini on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:52 pm

Wawizzle wrote:This seems to be a more of a "lets talk shit about authors we don't like" over "most overrated authors".

You know what? I think Dr. Sues is overrated. All he does is rhyme. A fourth grader can do that.

I'm pretty sure the nature of the beast is such that you can't think an author you like is overrated.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Auntie Blackbeard on Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:01 pm

Wawizzle wrote:This seems to be a more of a "lets talk shit about authors we don't like" over "most overrated authors".

As oi see it CoD pretty much posted a conflicting / ambiguous OP .

It started out fine wythe thee naming offe two authors , then went offe track by singly out a trilogy .

Hugs an' smoochies , Auntie
Ye Crows Nest be open fer business me dearies.
Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors