What is the best response to this question?

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

What is the best response to this question?

This one.
33%
This one.
40%
This one.
27%

Total votes : 15

Re: What is the best response to this question?

Postby Elastoman on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:55 am

PantyGnawer wrote:I had a chemistry teacher in college that would make the question the answer, and all the answer choices the questions (usually number problems), such that you couldn't just work out the problem, but had to work out the problems for each answer choice and figure out which one matched the question. He didn't fuck around with A to E he went straight for A to G (he couldn't use bubble sheets because of this but didn't mind grading them by hand because he got off on the torture that this caused us). Moreover he loved making the problems such that two would both give the right answer and included answers such as "A and b" "A and c" "B and D". It made it such that you would have to calculate 4 or 5 equations just to find the right answer to one problem. I never got more than halfway through one of his tests. I dropped out, retook it the next semester with a better teacher and aced the class.

Somehow I get a very "Luke, I'm your father" feeling from that story...

~E.
There's no need to stand on ceremony, nor call to impress.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby black bart on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:46 am

Elastoman wrote:
PantyGnawer wrote:I had a chemistry teacher in college that would make the question the answer, and all the answer choices the questions (usually number problems), such that you couldn't just work out the problem, but had to work out the problems for each answer choice and figure out which one matched the question. He didn't fuck around with A to E he went straight for A to G (he couldn't use bubble sheets because of this but didn't mind grading them by hand because he got off on the torture that this caused us). Moreover he loved making the problems such that two would both give the right answer and included answers such as "A and b" "A and c" "B and D". It made it such that you would have to calculate 4 or 5 equations just to find the right answer to one problem. I never got more than halfway through one of his tests. I dropped out, retook it the next semester with a better teacher and aced the class.

~E.

I disagree. I think it's important to realize you can get bad teachers. Students haven't always got a lot of confidence in themselves especially when it comes to creative subjects like Art and Design...and maths, physics and chemistry are also very creative subjects in their own way. A bad teacher can put you off a subject you could have excelled at given the right encouragement.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Moral Minority on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:50 am

I chose the middle one because the middle way is always right.

I follow the middle path.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:29 pm

Moral Minority wrote:I chose the middle one because the middle way is always right.

Gray side of the force, baby.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:54 am

black bart wrote:I disagree. I think it's important to realize you can get bad teachers. Students haven't always got a lot of confidence in themselves especially when it comes to creative subjects like Art and Design...and maths, physics and chemistry are also very creative subjects in their own way. A bad teacher can put you off a subject you could have excelled at given the right encouragement.

I completely agree. I had a really awful maths teacher in grade 10. He put me off entirely. This year, my teacher now is great, and has made me a great deal more interested (not to mention better) in mathematics.

I wish we did graphic artistry in my school, or could take elective course thingies on it.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:58 am

If there is a local college, you might be able to take a course there. I took a drawing class at the local university when I was in middle school, and received college credit for it.

Alternatively, see if you can work on the school newspaper or yearbook staff.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:38 am

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:1.If there is a local college, you might be able to take a course there. I took a drawing class at the local university when I was in middle school, and received college credit for it.

2.Alternatively, see if you can work on the school newspaper or yearbook staff.

1. I live in the middle of nowhere compared to the cities of the US. The nearest university is over an hour away.
2. My school has neither.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Rainswept on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:57 am

black bart wrote:
Elastoman wrote:

~E.

I disagree. I think it's important to realize you can get bad teachers. Students haven't always got a lot of confidence in themselves especially when it comes to creative subjects like Art and Design...and maths, physics and chemistry are also very creative subjects in their own way. A bad teacher can put you off a subject you could have excelled at given the right encouragement.

I guess I think differently. I mean, I agree about bad teachers and all, but the story didn't make me think this guy is one. Hard tests that make you look at things from every angle, those make sure you know the material. I think if you ace this guys class then you know your shit.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Moral Minority on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:20 am

I had a horrible teacher in Geometry this year.

The only thing I actually did good on was loci.

I like loci.
Moral Minority

Postby black bart on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:48 am

I was just trying to make PantGnawer feel better about himself...he must be at a low ebb at the moment what with his mum finding out he consorts with perverts and pirates, and him being stuck with a stupid name. :wink:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Cpt Celle on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:59 am

I go for the middle one, none of the above but maybe the one below.
Sanity is in numbers.
Cpt Celle
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby hazza on Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:33 am

Moral Minority wrote:I chose the middle one because the middle way is always right.

The middle path? I thought you were "Driving on the other road" or "Batting for the other team."
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
I Have Heard From A Reliable Source That You Do Indeed Like Mudkipz.
hazza
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby black bart on Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:25 am

The team that picks MM is in Big trouble. Pokemon or otherwise.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Edd on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:50 pm

I have chosen the best response and my reasoning is best explained by Terry Pratchett:

'The Monks of Cool…have a passing-out test for a novice. He is taken into a room full of all types of clothing and asked: Yo, my son, which of these is the most stylish thing to wear? And the correct answer is: Hey, whatever I select.'

--Lords and Ladies

So all you need to know is that the best choice is the one I made.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Edd wrote:I have chosen the best response and my reasoning is best explained by Terry Pratchett:

'The Monks of Cool…have a passing-out test for a novice. He is taken into a room full of all types of clothing and asked: Yo, my son, which of these is the most stylish thing to wear? And the correct answer is: Hey, whatever I select.'

--Lords and Ladies

So all you need to know is that the best choice is the one I made.

All hail Terry Pratchett, may his pasta be moist and his novels continually excellent.

It's awful that he's got Alzheimer's.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Previous

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes