Vote for RRR

Posts that are locked but open for perusal.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Vote for RRR's rank!

Poll ended at Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:28 am

Deity of Canned Processed Meat
36%
Rum Rum Rum
No votes
Sir Talksalot
9%
Ravenous Ramen Relisher
9%
Prodigiously Posting Pirate
45%

Total votes : 11

Re: Vote for RRR

Postby ChowMein on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:24 am

MEoooOO00ooeeWoo00ooow... opps sorry , I meen ARGH ! , I hasint voted yit Rev , Is ye still in thee runnin fer all dis ?

If ye iz , wot wood ye preffers ?
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby Rainswept on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:43 am

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:I have to say that I am honestly upset by this.

I understood the point of the game, and I brought up in the very beginning that I wasn't sure that I liked the idea, given what could happen. But I decided to go ahead with it, and asked people to be kind.

I let people know what names I liked, suggested ones based on those that had been proffered by others with the (apparently mistaken) assumption that it would give a better insight into what I was hoping for to those suggesting names so that they might find more titles that were fun and clever and entertaining without being derogatory or linguistically boring, and stated on multiple occasions that I had no desire to be saddled with a title that I disliked.

Perhaps some people don't care what title they have. If my title stays Prophet of Pastafarianism, or even disappears, that's fine by me. But I had honestly thought that by explaining my views in a polite manner that I would be listened to, and I might avoid being put into the position I now find myself in.

Should I have shouted at the top of my lungs? Should I have berated people for suggesting titles I didn't like?

I chose the higher ground, and I am saddened and angered by the lack of respect I have received for it.

(Cap: Yes, that title was on my list, but only because it was less abhorrent to me than many of the others. It was not "liked" so much as tolerated.)

Wow, just wow.

Rev I'm amazed by this, I really am. I mean if there were insulting options, or ones that you specifically disliked, I'd understand but... Honestly you sound like you're throwing a tantrum because we didn't give you specifically the nickname you dictated. You had six pages of people suggesting options, thinking about your personality, trying to be creative and supportive and your reaction is to call the things we come up with "abhorrent" in return, and act as if it's an insult to you to suggest them.

Good FSM, CHILL OUT!
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby ken worley on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:48 am

Well, we can count on rrr's vote now when it's time to vote for Darth Waiter....

heeeheeeheee....

*capers*

(gee, it's been awhile since I actually capered...must be some extra evil in my coffee this morning.)
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby black bart on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:12 am

I thought it was only Imps, Demons and Goblins that capered. :roll:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Capellini on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:28 am

Rules, shmules! This is about the spirit behind the game. If you don't share that spirit, which you obviously don't, then you are under no obligation to take part.

The point is that you are among friends who, because of the unique circumstances that form this community, know you in a way that most of the people in your life probably don't. This is a chance to build comaraderie with those people by seeing how they view you, getting a new look at yourself through another lens, and then having a good laugh about it. You don't want to do that, fine, game over, we won't bother.

Personally, I think you're a little too uptight about the image you portray, and this is a sign of your unwillingness to relinquish control over any aspect of that image. As for your hurt feelings, have you considered how you make the rest of the group feel when you refuse to actually be a part of the group. People here are trying to show their affection for you, and you're treating it like crap. And that's what it is, believe me, it's affection.

You'd refuse to be your best friends bride's maid if the dress wasn't flattering, too, wouldn't you?*

*Shut up with the gender issues, everyone looks good in a tux, it wasn't a valid comparison.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:42 am

Cap, I had tried from the start to explain my feelings on this matter. Friends would have listened to that and accepted that, even if they didn't agree with it themselves.

Perhaps people here do view it as affectionate, but they have not lived my life, do not know how I came to be the person I am today, nor do they know how constant teasing, name-calling, hazing, and threats over the course of 10+ formative years has made me just a little sensitive towards that sort of thing.

I apologize if it seems that I am a party-pooper. I certainly did not expect this to turn into the major blow-up that is has become. I just wanted to encourage people to think of names they liked that were both fitting and considerate of my feelings and opinion.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rainswept on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:44 am

Capellini wrote:You'd refuse to be your best friends bride's maid if the dress wasn't flattering, too, wouldn't you?*

LMAO, that's a great analogy.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Capellini on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:52 am

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:Cap, I had tried from the start to explain my feelings on this matter. Friends would have listened to that and accepted that, even if they didn't agree with it themselves.

Perhaps people here do view it as affectionate, but they have not lived my life, do not know how I came to be the person I am today, nor do they know how constant teasing, name-calling, hazing, and threats over the course of 10+ formative years has made me just a little sensitive towards that sort of thing.

I apologize if it seems that I am a party-pooper. I certainly did not expect this to turn into the major blow-up that is has become. I just wanted to encourage people to think of names they liked that were both fitting and considerate of my feelings and opinion.

Can I get a show of hands of people here who were not called names as a kid or young adult? No one here is calling you a name. You are turning this into something negative, not any of the people taking part. We just labeled a 14 year old kid the purveyor of TRIVIALITY. (Is Zank 15 yet, I can't keep track). He seems to be taking it in the spirit it was meant. Frankly, I can't possibly see how someone wanting to nickname you a deity of spam on a board where that is what you're known for can hurt your feelings, but if you were so unbelievably sensitive to the opinions of total strangers, you should have abstained from the game. None of that matters anymore, I'm abstaining for you.

But honestly, insisting that any nickname derived for you is meant to be mean or insulting is no way to get over childhood teasing. The longer you decide this is an issue for you, the longer it will be. Let it go.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:57 am

Capellini wrote:Can I get a show of hands of people here who were not called names as a kid or young adult? No one here is calling you a name. You are turning this into something negative, not any of the people taking part. We just labeled a 14 year old kid the purveyor of TRIVIALITY. (Is Zank 15 yet, I can't keep track). He seems to be taking it in the spirit it was meant. Frankly, I can't possibly see how someone wanting to nickname you a deity of spam on a board where that is what you're known for can hurt your feelings, but if you were so unbelievably sensitive to the opinions of total strangers, you should have abstained from the game. None of that matters anymore, I'm abstaining for you.

But honestly, insisting that any nickname derived for you is meant to be mean or insulting is no way to get over childhood teasing. The longer you decide this is an issue for you, the longer it will be. Let it go.

15. My DOB is the 25th of January.

I like my title. It fits me, in RL and virtual life.

I think "Prodigiously Posting Pirate" was destined to be RRR's title since the beginnning. It ifts him like a glove, it's alliterative...What's the problem with that?

"Deity of Canned Processed Meat" is silly, though, and really doesn't reflect his personality IMO.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby black bart on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:02 am

Looks like it's time for a 'Reveal your childhood/teenage nickname thread' should you feel emotionally strong enough to reveal such a thing.

Ironically mine was (and I still get called it by really old friends) 'Reverand or Rev for short.'

There...I feel so much better now.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:05 am

I was so unpopular that the unpopular kids wouldn't be seen with me. From 3rd grade through high school (though it did get slightly better as I got older).

I was raised by loving people who taught me to communicate my feelings, who listened to them, and respected the fact that I felt them, whether or not they thought I should be feeling those particular emotions because of a particular experience.

Perhaps it was unwise of me to expect that here, despite the fact of forum rules specifying tolerance of differing opinions.

I understand how you feel about this. You have explained it well. Please understand how I feel about this. You don't have to agree with it, but please understand that it is how I feel, and it is not likely to change.

Zank: You posted while I was writing. I do not identify myself solely as a pirate. (Yes, Cap, I know it is supposed to be about how others see me, but I'm writing about how I feel, it doesn't have to follow the rules of the game.) Which is why I had suggested turning it into Prodigious Piratical Poster, implying similar things, but identifying me as a Poster rather than a Pirate. Had the names being voted upon also included others that I had liked, I wouldn't have made a fuss, even had it become my title. My objection is to the overall list.

Cap. Since this seems to be turning into a big debate, telling me that my feelings are not valid, please just cancel the whole thing now.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rainswept on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:07 am

Capellini wrote:Can I get a show of hands of people here who were not called names as a kid or young adult?

I accepted a superlative in high school for "Most Annoying". If I can walk up in front of a room full of highschool students and embrace that, I consider myself thick skinned.

RRR wrote:I do not identify myself solely as a pirate

Dude, I consider every member of these boards a pirate. We follow a religion which requires us to dress the part to pass on the teachings! I can't believe you actually reject a name because you imagine some dichotomy between pastafarians and pirates!

That name was my suggestion, and I don't even have a clue who posts in the pirate section other than bart and Dave L!
Rainswept

Postby Edd on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:39 pm

I don’t think anyone is saying that RRR is not entitled to his feelings or opinions on suggested titles; I think everyone is simply amazed that RRR did not understand what was likely to happen here given the rules for this game. And game it is, right?

I have a five year old niece who refuses to play tag because she hates to be chased by the other children. No one forces her to play, but it sure is sad to see her all by herself while the others are running around laughing and yelling.

RRR, we were simply trying to include you in the fun, not ignore your feelings.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Auntie Blackbeard on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:15 pm

Well if rev. doesn't want thee title , it should nay be forced upon him , however , oi be agreeing with most of ye dearies .
These custom titles area rare thing , yer Auntie can bearly keep her pantaloons up , she be up so excited at thee prospective title fer her/himseff .

Has ye lot binn thinking of ye dear Auntie ?

Wot has ye lot is store for me .

Um getting goosed bumped just wunnering aboot it... Oh...No ... wait ... ets only PG .
Ye Crows Nest be open fer business me dearies.
Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Previous

Return to Locked Posts