Song of Ice and Fire and other fantasy series.

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Song of Ice and Fire and other fantasy series.

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Capellini wrote:ASOIAF is a fantasy series set in an alternate medieval type environment, knights and kings and castles and dragons, plus treason, incest, king slaying, patricide, rape, murder, poison, infidelity, war, jousting, kidnapping and all the other stuff that made that time period so much fun. Oh, and there are zombies.

You've just described a veritable orgasm of literary pleasure. Such a book is not possible; 'Twould destroy the universe.

If anyone is looking for a good read, the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is excellent.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Capellini on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Capellini wrote:ASOIAF is a fantasy series set in an alternate medieval type environment, knights and kings and castles and dragons, plus treason, incest, king slaying, patricide, rape, murder, poison, infidelity, war, jousting, kidnapping and all the other stuff that made that time period so much fun. Oh, and there are zombies.

You've just described a veritable orgasm of literary pleasure. Such a book is not possible; 'Twould destroy the universe.

If anyone is looking for a good read, the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is excellent.

Not only does it exist, it exists in 4 separate books, and what will be a total of 7 upon completion.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:25 pm

Capellini wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:

Not only does it exist, it exists in 4 separate books, and what will be a total of 7 upon completion.

I refuse to believe you without proof. I'll set up a PO box, you can mail them to me.

Or, ken could send us both bus fare.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Rainswept on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:15 pm

You left out the army of eunuchs who can't feel pain, and the face-changing assassins (Those are my favorite!)
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:58 am

If anyone wants to read a rather interesting coming of age fantasy novel, with ninjas, read the Otori series, by Lian Hearn. (A pseudonym.)

It does not present anything mind-bogglingly new, but is still quite a good tale. Unfortunately, it skips over some of the things which would have made the book so much better. (Like ninja training!)
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Capellini on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:17 am

Rainswept wrote:

You left out the army of eunuchs who can't feel pain, and the face-changing assassins (Those are my favorite!)

That's right, I forgot the Faceless Men. I also forgot the Sand Snakes, which is a shame because I know Ken would love them. Golden skinned, flowing haired, sex-crazed, voluptuous women armed with daggers and poisons?

Zank, I would happily send you a copy of the first book. But amazon could do it for you also.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:20 am

Capellini wrote:
Rainswept wrote:

That's right, I forgot the Faceless Men. I also forgot the Sand Snakes, which is a shame because I know Ken would love them. Golden skinned, flowing haired, sex-crazed, voluptuous women armed with daggers and poisons?

Zank, I would happily send you a copy of the first book. But amazon could do it for you also.

I'm checking my library/bookstore at the next possible moment.

I have to finish Outlander first, and I still have two and a half books to read. Then, I have several books I need to get ahold of and devour.

As well as three video games I am attempting to get and play through.

I'm going to have a busy(and possibly expensive) summer.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Rainswept on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:30 pm

I finished my slow and careful reread of all the SoIaF novels and prequels. Now I am sad. :cry:
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Elastoman on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:58 am

I honestly can't believe that no one has mentioned The Chronicals of Thomas Covenant. Especially with this crowd.

Quick synopsis - Thomas Covenant is a popular, successful writer with a beautiful wife and child. Then he contracts leprosy....

Anything more would ruin the surprise. But seriously, this is one of the collections of books that made me love reading, and made me want to write. Sure, I may not be the next Hemmingway, but WOW. Really good stuff.
There's no need to stand on ceremony, nor call to impress.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:03 am

I can't say that I was particularly thrilled with them. I picked up the series, then stopped. Something I almost never do. Eventually I made myself finish reading them, then I sold them back to the used bookstore. Again, something I almost never do.

I can't put my finger on why or how, but it just seemed a bit forced to me, and rather unoriginal.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Elastoman on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:27 am

Fair enough, Rev. Something in 'em resonated with me. Haven't done the self-analysis to figure out what, and not really inclined to do so, considering the source material. ;)

~E.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Rainswept on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:59 am

Elastoman wrote:I honestly can't believe that no one has mentioned The Chronicals of Thomas Covenant. Especially with this crowd.

Quick synopsis - Thomas Covenant is a popular, successful writer with a beautiful wife and child. Then he contracts leprosy....

Anything more would ruin the surprise. But seriously, this is one of the collections of books that made me love reading, and made me want to write. Sure, I may not be the next Hemmingway, but WOW. Really good stuff.

Opinions differ I guess. I found Lord Foul's Bane to be the most unpleasant fantasy book I've ever read, and wouldn't touch the rest of them with a ten foot pole.

Never before had I read a book that actually made me feel dirty. I found the protagonist to be well... less than heroic. To this day it's the only series I actively warn my friends not to read.
Rainswept

Postby Capellini on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:29 am

Rainswept wrote:I finished my slow and careful reread of all the SoIaF novels and prequels. Now I am sad. :cry:

So what do you think the 'word' that Brienne screamed was?

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Elastoman on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:22 pm

Rainswept wrote:Never before had I read a book that actually made me feel dirty. I found the protagonist to be well... less than heroic. To this day it's the only series I actively warn my friends not to read.

But that was half the fun. . .

~E.
Elastoman
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:02 pm

HA!

Finally, I've found Capellini's weakness!

I must tell worley!

Btw, The Dark Tower was a good series (for those who didn't already read it). It is pretty damn depressing, though. So much death - it's obviously Stephen King's fetish. Not that it's unusual, but it makes for a depressing read, if interesting.

I found Wheel of Time to be pretty good too, though very disjointed and somewhat hard to get into.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors