Founding of the Holy Recipie book. (FSM Bible)

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Holy Book?

Postby Noodlyoodly on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:13 pm

A recipe book, of course.. :lol:

That is of course my opinion. What say you, fellow and sister mods? Auntie Dee Dee was compiling a wonderful Creed before, and she may wish to include it.
The pasta is the life.

In Pastalidarity, NOOOD
Noodlyoodly
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Sheana on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:21 pm

I agree wholeheartedly - a recipe book sounds perfect! I'm compiling shared recipes at Al Dente (er, I will be ... very shortly), so I'd love for us to share more.
Sheana
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby PestaRzt on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:23 pm

i think a recipe book or a cook book is a good idea. another important thing is, that it has a kind of chapters or sth like the bible and that its sorted and not just a big collection of anything. theres a thread here where some pastafarians have startet to write such a bible but if we don't sort it, it will never become a real readable book. another point is that a translation into other languages is getting harder and harder the more stuff is put into it.
let's tRy something else

deutsche FSMler -> join #FSM-de on quakenet
rest of the world -> join #FSM on quakenet
PestaRzt

Cook Book Idea

Postby Nitrox on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:28 pm

Nitrox
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Sheana on Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:39 pm

I disagree about having sections like the Bible. Pastafarianism is just as valid a faith system as the Bible, and we don't need no steenking sections. Yarr.

But, if we do divvy up the recipes, I think it'd make sense to divide them either by pasta type (spaghetti, fettucini, macaronis, flat pastas, filled pastas) or by the correlating sauce (red sauces, white sauces, oil-based sauces), etc.
Sheana

The Universal Role of Recipes

Postby SpaghettiNumber9 on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:26 am

The complexity of the universe observable at every scale is due to the iteration, under the Aegis of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, of simple recipes. The Flying Spaghetti Monster Himself is simultaneously the result of His Own Recipe, as well as Being His Own Recipe. In this sense, Pastafarianism stands in contradistinction to Intelligent Design, which attributes the obervable complexity of the universe to an arbitrarily complex Designer.

The question of what recipes are is of considerable philosophical interest. Nevertheless, I believe that the correct attitude towards them is exemplified by the Category Theorists of contemporary mathematics: it's more important to understand what recipes do, than to know what recipes are. And it may be that some recipes are in-principle phenomenologically operational, in the sense that His Noodly Appendage prevents us from understanding why His Recipes work, though He allows us to witness that His Recipes do His work.

In some sense, Pastafarianism is prefigured by Wolfram's New Kind of Science, which attributes the observable complexity of the universe at every scale to the iteration of simple rules, as opposed to recipes; however the rules apply to cellular automata, which are discrete systems. Recipes need not be discrete. It is fair to say that Pastafarianism owes Wolfram an intellectual debt; I hope that Pastafarians will follow Wolfram, not only in his prefiguration of the One True Religion, but in his notorious litigiousness, as Pastafarians seek to have the Holy Recipes taught in the science classroom.

While it is possible to point to various features of recipes, and to distinguish them from the discrete rules of cellular automata, it is ultimately unproductive to attempt to precisely define what recipes are, as these are revealed by His Noodlyness. And the attempt to inquire into the fundamental nature of Recipes may be insufficiently reverent.

RAmen
SpaghettiNumber9
Conchigliette Convert

Return to Scripture and Lore