PREVIOUS television

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Rainswept on Tue May 20, 2008 8:04 am

PracticalGuy wrote:
Rainswept wrote:
I think what I hated most is that most of the time it seemed to me that the family would all hate each other if they were not family. Usually shows like that make it clear why they all still love each other, and on Raymond most of the time it seemed like the only answer was "Because they are family, you have to."


I'll agree with that. But I think that this was their means of covering all the bases. There were many dysfunctional relationships in that show: overbearing guilt inducing mother, wife that you can't please just because you think like a man, sibling rivalry, and the old hardened grandpa who just doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks anymore (Frank was the fricking greatest! May he rest in peace).


I guess that was the idea, but when you make characters that people wouldn't like in real life, I just don't like them on TV either.

Now that I think about it, this is why I don't like King of the Hill either. I mean lots of shows have loveable characters who do screwed up things, but ELR and KotH make those characters just realistic enough to make me hate them for being jerks.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
User avatar
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists
 
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: State of Disbelief

Postby Rainswept on Mon May 26, 2008 10:36 pm

Today I rented disk one of 2 different prison series'. Prison Break and Oz.

I liked Prison Break, so far Oz isn't doing much for me.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
User avatar
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists
 
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: State of Disbelief

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby DancingKitty on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:44 pm

Rent Dead Like Me, the former Showtime series.

Based on what you say here, you'll like it. (And no, no matter what the morons a few years ago said, it's NOTHING like 6 Feet Under.)
Meow.
User avatar
DancingKitty
Cavatappi Cabin Boy
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: With the kitties.

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:06 am

Friends was good most of the time, and occasionally was genius.

Malcolm was amazing nearly all of the time.

Raymond was pretty good, I thought...

I never got into Seinfeld, and anyways the actors are complete assholes.

There are others I shall mention, when I actually remember them.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
User avatar
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister
 
Posts: 1936
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:10 am
Location: Southern NJ.

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby Hqrsie on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Undergrads
Clerks: The animated series
Futurama (more then just the new movies)


However, my favorite canceled show that I do not want them to bring back?
Chapelle Show

Although I loved every episode that was released, I can't stand another few years of people over-quoting it at every chance they get. I guess that's the downfall with comedy that'd not just hilarious but easy to relate to.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere committing evil deeds, an it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?
--Alexander Solzhenitsyn
User avatar
Hqrsie
Bucatini Buccanneer
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: Hoth, Canada

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby Rainswept on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:52 pm

Finished season one of Prison Break. Decent show, only real complaint I had was that it started off so strongly that by the end of the season it was weak by comparison, and some of the characters were more than a little cartoony.

Still, definitely interested enough to watch season 2 next.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
User avatar
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists
 
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: State of Disbelief

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:06 am

Night Stalker !

The original starring Darren McGavin , the remake ? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...*snort*... Zzzzzzzzzzzz .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
User avatar
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:34 am
Location: Bedlam

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:35 am

Not big on TV, but I miss Firefly (of course), Spaced, Black Books, the Simpsons being good, and Invader Zim.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
User avatar
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: Not quite close enough to Columbia, MD.

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby Moral Minority on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:51 pm

Simpsons is current, innit?
User avatar
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism
 
Posts: 5629
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:51 pm
Location: Follow the trail of smoldering bodies.

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:40 pm

Moral Minority wrote:Simpsons is current, innit?


Simpsons is current in the same way Bill Cosby is. They're still alive, but damn, they should've kicked it awhile ago.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
User avatar
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: Not quite close enough to Columbia, MD.

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby Rainswept on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:46 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Moral Minority wrote:Simpsons is current, innit?


Simpsons is current in the same way Bill Cosby is. They're still alive, but damn, they should've kicked it awhile ago.

You kidding? The Cos still hits the stage with new material, not to mention he says a lot of stuff politically that he should be applauded for.

Not to mention his material is clearly still current and funny enough for Carlos Mencina to rip off and profit from :wink:
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
User avatar
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists
 
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: State of Disbelief

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby fueledbycoffee on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:58 am

Meh, what can I say? No accounting for taste.

Bill Cosby was funny when I was a kid, but I've lost interest. I've found his best stuff was from when he was a young guy. His Noah jokes always made me laugh.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
User avatar
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: Not quite close enough to Columbia, MD.

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:04 am

And don't forget his trip to the dentist !

I love Cos , always have , from Cosby Kids ( cartoon from my youth ) to today .
He NEVER in my memory uttered one foul word in his routines .

A class act is he .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
User avatar
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:34 am
Location: Bedlam

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby Rainswept on Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:14 am

Mad Willyum Bonney wrote:He NEVER in my memory uttered one foul word in his routines.


Oh man flashback...
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
User avatar
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists
 
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: State of Disbelief

Re: PREVIOUS television

Postby fueledbycoffee on Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:27 am

That's classic. LMFAO.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
User avatar
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:28 pm
Location: Not quite close enough to Columbia, MD.

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron