R.A. Salvatore

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

R.A. Salvatore

Postby Rainswept on Thu May 22, 2008 10:15 am

I'm a big reader of Fantasy/Sci fi, and I also used to work in a bookstore. I'm surprised that so many threads on here get lots of attention even tho they aren't terribly popular books, while books every nerd I know has read don't have their own thread.

So I'll trot out one of my guilty pleasures. I've been following Drizzt Do'Urden's adventures since 1991, which is longer than many of our posters have been alive.

So let's hear it, how many of you read books about the Dark Elf, his whirring scimitars, and his 600lb magic panther?
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Hqrsie on Thu May 22, 2008 10:29 am

I am so fucking sick of Drizzt, Bruenor, Cattie-Brie and all the other over hyped characters that he refuses to give up.

I read and enjoyed The Halfling's Gem and the rest of the Icewind Dale chronicles (I even played the PC games back in the day; they were fun) and even enjoyed the Legacy of the Drow series, but with the dozen books after that, he's just tanked what could have been memorable characters by giving them repeatable, predictable plot lines and continually using Deus Ex Machina to keep his main characters alive.

The only author in fantasy writing I see more guilty of this is that twat Terry Goodkind. "Wizard's First Rule" was a decent read, even tho it repeated the themes from every fantasy series from Tolkien onwards. When I picked up the sequel, all of the sudden the tidy ending from the last book (dark lord vanquished, hidden powers discovered, love attained) never happened in a "but wait, the dark lord is BACK and your girl had 2nd thoughts and you need to rediscover your other secret-secret power" type way he dragged the exact same premise out another dozen books or so.

Most fantasy series these days just reek of stale, recycled characters and ideas that pander to fan bases that turn at the slightest sign of being challenged with anything new.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere committing evil deeds, an it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?
--Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Hqrsie
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Rainswept on Thu May 22, 2008 11:57 am

Goodkind started out well, but then he started ripping off Ayn Rand constantly, and I liked her stories better when she told them.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Hqrsie on Thu May 22, 2008 2:31 pm

I guess most fantasy authors panic after their first success that allows them to move out of their mom's basement and fall into the "write more of the same so long as it sells" trap.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere committing evil deeds, an it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?
--Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Hqrsie
Bucatini Buccanneer

Re: R.A. Salvatore

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri May 23, 2008 2:04 am

Rainswept wrote:and I also used to work in a bookstore.

I just gained a bucket load of respect for you.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Rainswept on Fri May 23, 2008 8:38 am

Oh I loved that job. If I could have made a living at it I wouldn't have been unhappy working there forever.

Plus, it's an awesome place to meet smart women.
Rainswept

Postby Hqrsie on Fri May 23, 2008 10:26 am

Here's a question. When you stopped working there, how long did it take you to be able to pass a bookshelf and not automatically start rearranging and organizing them? It's been 4 years since I worked at one and I still do it. I only worked there for 3 years.
--Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Hqrsie
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Rainswept on Fri May 23, 2008 10:43 am

I only have trouble if I see a book in the wrong section. Last I checked Nora Roberts wasn't Sci-Fi for example.
Rainswept

Postby Taidje Khan on Fri May 23, 2008 11:37 pm

What the hell? There are two other people here who have worked at a bookstore? That's so odd.

Only Sci-fi I can stand is Asimov and Vonnegut.

Only Fantasy I can stand is Tolkien and C.S. Lewis.

There are exceptions, but they aren't springing to mind, and my library is all the way downstairs.
R.I.P. George Carlin

FSMMA record: 19-4-0

"My head is bloodied, but unbowed."
Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Sat May 24, 2008 12:09 am

I had a summer job in a Comic book store back in the day . Used book stores are my favorite haunts , sadly they seem to be disappearing in this city .

What ever happened to used book stores ?
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat May 24, 2008 12:14 am

Rainswept wrote:Oh I loved that job. If I could have made a living at it I wouldn't have been unhappy working there forever.

Plus, it's an awesome place to meet smart women.

Future nostalgia setting in...

It has been my dream to work in a bookshop. I would be ecstatic if I ever created my own one. I'd have (relatively) cheap books, lots of 'em, and it would be two stories with a spiral staircase...

*daydreaming of future occupation*
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Taidje Khan on Sat May 24, 2008 1:24 am

Mad Willyum Bonney wrote:Comic book store

No.
R.I.P. George Carlin

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Rainswept on Sat May 24, 2008 1:46 am

Taidje Khan wrote:What the hell? There are two other people here who have worked at a bookstore? That's so odd.

Only Sci-fi I can stand is Asimov and Vonnegut.

A: It's not odd if you consider this is a site found by people concerned about education.

B: Pick up Ender's Game. After you love it come back to me for more suggestions.
Rainswept

Postby Hqrsie on Sat May 24, 2008 2:02 am

Rainswept wrote:B: Pick up Ender's Game. After you love it come back to me for more suggestions.

Agreed. Orson Scott Card's first few were terrific.

On more of the "science" end of sci-fi, a really good high-concept writer is Robert J. Sawyer.

My two best recommendations of his writing would be Factoring Humanity and Flashforward.

Definitely worthwhile and enjoyable reads.
--Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Hqrsie
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Taidje Khan on Sat May 24, 2008 2:36 am

Rainswept wrote:
A: It's not odd if you consider this is a site found by people concerned about education.

Word. Still, it's a pretty unique occupation.

Rainswept wrote:B: Pick up Ender's Game. After you love it come back to me for more suggestions.

Give me a month or so dude, I just picked up another armfull of books.

In the meantime, since you indicated that you haven't read it yet, give All Quiet On The Western Front a whirl.

You have heard of it for a reason.
R.I.P. George Carlin

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors