What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby DeadPoet on Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:40 pm

I'm reading the new inner reglementation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - 7 days book. Extremelyboring, but it can save your job.
DeadPoet
The Resident Resident

Postby aquazoo on Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:10 pm

Auntie Dee Dee wrote:Hmm, I need that book...Amazon?? Will you trade for schnauzers??

No, I'm onlyt 5'8" and not very buff. Oh, you mean Amazon Books? There should be plenty of places to get it. A friend of mine bought about a half dozen copies at a book shop just to hand out to friends. A good way to share the information!

Anyway, I think it was about $10 and should still be in print. Half.com is my favorite source for books - some really cheap deals on used books!

I'm sure your schnauzers are nice, but I don't have any pets that can't catch their own food and tidy up after themselves. :-)

That book again is _don't think of an elephant: know your values and frame the debate_ by George Lakoff.
aquazoo
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby kaioshin00 on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:12 pm

The Meromorph wrote:
kaioshin00 wrote:I'm reading Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter and I must say the book is splendid.

Let me know if you ever finish it. I own a copy, and I haven't ever.
I personally know of 47 people (we're keeping track) who've tried and failed to finish it.

Err. Is it bad that Im reading it in order and like it? Im just about half way through.
:shellfish: :shellfish: March of the crabbies :shellfish: :shellfish:
kaioshin00
Agnolini Admiral

Postby The Meromorph on Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:10 pm

kaioshin00 wrote:
The Meromorph wrote:
kaioshin00 wrote:I'm reading Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter and I must say the book is splendid.

Let me know if you ever finish it. I own a copy, and I haven't ever.
I personally know of 47 people (we're keeping track) who've tried and failed to finish it.

Err. Is it bad that Im reading it in order and like it? Im just about half way through.

Oh, I got about half way, maybe 3/5 through and I liked it, too... :lol:
Laughing in the rain.
Dancing in the desert sand,
Somersaults through life.
The Meromorph
Sweet Moderation

Location: Sailing away to Vindravan, eating my tears with laughter.

Postby Rainswept on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:12 pm

I'm reading The Amber Spyglass, byt Philip Pullman.

Mostly I'm just killing time till A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin comes out later this week.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby vallerand on Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:17 am

I'm reading The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes. A history of Australia's years as Britain's penal colony. Fascinating.
vallerand
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby gryphonesse on Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:27 pm

okay - back to the easy stuff

how was Predator?? I saw it this morning and got cranky becuase I coulnd't buy it right away....
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
~Mark Twain
gryphonesse
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Capellini on Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:57 pm

Oedipus, again, for class.

I have George RR Martin's first in that series sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read, along with about a dozen other books I've yet to touch.

I'm sooooo far behind.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby The Meromorph on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:41 am

gryphonesse wrote:okay - back to the easy stuff

how was Predator?? I saw it this morning and got cranky becuase I coulnd't buy it right away....

I don't think it is one of her best. I still read it in one session, though! :lol:
Laughing in the rain.
Dancing in the desert sand,
Somersaults through life.
The Meromorph
Sweet Moderation

Location: Sailing away to Vindravan, eating my tears with laughter.

Postby Rainswept on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:45 pm

Capellini wrote:I have George RR Martin's first in that series sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read, along with about a dozen other books I've yet to touch.

I'm sooooo far behind.

Oh you're missing out. It's the most well written fantasy series I've ever read.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Capellini on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:21 pm

I'm holding off because I've been warned that it takes him 10 years to write each novel, and I am impatient.

Anybody reading Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series?

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Rainswept on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:24 pm

Capellini wrote:I'm holding off because I've been warned that it takes him 10 years to write each novel, and I am impatient.

You have a point. I'm so fed up with waiting for each Robert Jordan book that I quit reading them. I'm just buying them and letting them sit on my shelf until the long-winded S.O.B. finishes the thing.
Rainswept

Postby fusiontortellini on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:54 pm

vallerand wrote:I'm reading The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes. A history of Australia's years as Britain's penal colony. Fascinating.

I really liked that book! Have you read any Barbara Tuchman? A Distant Mirror is really good -- and rather timely, given it's about the plague . . .
Who really might actually be back this time . . .

May the Fiori be with you. And may It have Meatballs.
fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby vallerand on Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:37 am

I've read A Distant Mirror. While I readily admit to being a history freak, I tend to avoid the 19th and 20th century.

I read Fatal Shore when it first came out and when I found a copy at Goodwill for 1.99 I couldn't resist.

A Weaker Vessel by Antonia Fraser is quite good. It examines the social condition of women in the 16th century.
vallerand
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Capellini on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:26 pm

Ooh, I love books about plagues.

Who's read Guns, Germs and Steel? THAT is a must-read for anyone who likes to learn about everything.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors