Colbert/Stewart or Stewart/Colbert?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Who's funnier? Stephen Colbert, or Jon Stewart?

Stephen Colbert
48%
Jon Stewart
42%
Bill O'Rielly (unintentional humor)
10%

Total votes : 31

Colbert/Stewart or Stewart/Colbert?

Postby Taidje Khan on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:28 am

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report with Stephen Colbert are the last bastions of journalistic integrity left on TV. All other news channels are either biased, incompetent, or in the case of FoxNews, both. So in this age of eight month long, 24 hour Anna Nicole coverage and narcissistic talking heads who consider their ignorant ramblings to be the lone voice of reason . . . Who's funnier?

Colbert or Stewart: Pick one!
R.I.P. George Carlin

FSMMA record: 19-4-0

"My head is bloodied, but unbowed."
Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby farfalla on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:50 am

Much as I like Colbert, the humor is one character consistent - great character (I read he won't let his kids watch him in case they might think he is serious). I prefer Stewart's style and think he held up better during the writers' strike. .
farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby Moral Minority on Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:26 pm

The names sound vaguely familiar...
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Wawizzle on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:23 am

I really like The Daily Show and I've watched it for years.

However, I cannot lie and say that the Colbert Report does not make me laugh a lot more than TDS.

We have to be prepared for the massive Bear armies.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Taidje Khan on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:26 am

Colbert's book, I Am America and So Can You, for those of you who haven't read it, is hilarious. Just thought I'd throw that out there. *throws that out there*
R.I.P. George Carlin

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:45 pm

Not only that, but it is also informative. I am now available in continent size!

Be ready to have every clothing department in the tri-state area hate your guts.

"Sir, what size are you?"

"America."

I'll say Stewart's humor is more consistent, and I also like his style more.

Colbert is still amazing, and some of his episodes are just laugh riots.

Plus, he is multitalented.

In the end, I'd want Colbert as prez., and Stewart as vice.

TDS is a bit better, IMO, than the Repore.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Aviana on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:46 am

I love 'em both, but since I recently read I Am America, I voted Colbert.

He won me over with his illustration of why St. Sebastian is the 'worst beanie baby ever' when discussing why Christians aren't that great at marketing.
Aviana
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:56 pm

Cold Bert be me main man , thee speech at thee White House Correspondints Dinner/roast was OUTRAGEOUS !
Cold Bert has cannon balls ( an' he does a pirate bit )
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:43 am

Mad Willyum Bonney wrote:Cold Bert be me main man , thee speech at thee White House Correspondints Dinner/roast was OUTRAGEOUS !
Cold Bert has cannon balls ( an' he does a pirate bit )

Yaar, the best part was that Bush didn't have a damn idea what he was saying. The dumbass had a translator working the whole time, whispering in his ear!
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:13 am

I love em both, but I gotta give it to Stewart.

Colbert's premise is that he is mocking right wing pundits, but that only takes you so far. He supplements it with goofy shit that for me, just doesn't cut it. For instance his inane Tek Jansen book/cartoon series.

Stewart's deadpan comedy is just so much more apt and funny. Hell, this administration and the absurdity of the other media outlets, provide him with so much fodder that his job is essentially done for him.

At this point, all he has to do is show a clip of Cheney saying some absurd thing, then show a clip of Cheney saying some contradictory thing from a few years back, and then cut back to Stewart making a funny face. Its so simple, yet still funny as hell.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby KC Observer on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:08 pm

I REALLY like Colbert, and I also REALLY like Jon Stewart. The only concern that I have with Colbert, is that there are actually people out there that think he's for real and espousing their POV instead of lampooning it. Can you say ironic? I love the episode where he's "correcting" the museum curator about the age of the grand canyon. Too funny!
The Pope
KC Observer
Mod

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:17 pm

KC Observer wrote:I REALLY like Colbert, and I also REALLY like Jon Stewart. The only concern that I have with Colbert, is that there are actually people out there that think he's for real and espousing their POV instead of lampooning it. Can you say ironic? I love the episode where he's "correcting" the museum curator about the age of the grand canyon. Too funny!

I laughed out loud when I saw that one.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby the great pumpkin on Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 am

I believe Colbert's high-points are worlds more hilarious than John Stewart's, but for overall consistancy, I'd vote The Daily Show.
the great pumpkin
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Taidje Khan on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:10 am

the great pumpkin wrote:I believe Colbert's high-points are worlds more hilarious than John Stewart's, but for overall consistancy, I'd vote The Daily Show.

Who the hell votes for consistency over quality? What are you, a girl?
R.I.P. George Carlin

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby the great pumpkin on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:28 am

Taidje Khan wrote:
the great pumpkin wrote:I believe Colbert's high-points are worlds more hilarious than John Stewart's, but for overall consistancy, I'd vote The Daily Show.

Who the hell votes for consistency over quality? What are you, a girl?

I'll take consistant quality over occasional greatness any day.
the great pumpkin
Conchigliette Convert

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors