How To Make Fajitas.

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

How To Make Fajitas.

Postby ken worley on Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:55 pm

For 10 ample chicken Fajitas:

2.5# Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts(4 large whole breasts)

8 OZ. Shredded Colby-Jack Cheese

10 Burrito-sized Tortillas

2 Bell Peppers

1 Large Vidalia Onion

1/2 Head Iceberg Lettuce

1/2 Cup Sour Cream

1/3 Cup Lime Juice

4 TBSP Liquid Smoke

1 tsp Black Pepper

1 tsp Granulated Garlic

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper

1 tsp Salt

1/2 tsp Cumin

In an 8-inch square glass baking dish, mix lime juice, liquid smoke, salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic, and cumin.Blend well with fork.

Butterfly the chicken breasts so that no piece is thicker than about 1 cm.

Pierce the shit out of the chicken with fork.

Place the chicken pieces in the marinade, making sure they are fully immersed...Cover dish with foil, and place in fridge....Alow to marinate overnight.

Cut onion and bell pepper into thin strips....Set aside.

Finely shred lettuce and mix in bowl with sour cream, adding salt liberally, to taste.

On a CHARCOAL grill, while the coals are still VERY hot, sear the chicken pieces...The idea is to have them still just faintly pink in the center, well-done-to-nearly-charred on the outside.

Take them off, and put the onions/peppers on, in one of those basket things.

Cut the chicken into narrow strips.

By the time the veggies are cooked, the coals will be nearly dead.

Place the chicken and veggies on the top rack of the grill to re-warm.

Meanwhile, use a stove burner to warm a tortilla...Keep it moving, let it get warm and soft, with a few tasty black specks here and there.

Place some chicken and veggies on the tortilla, along with a stripe of lettuce/sour cream mixture, and a sprinkle of cheese.

Loosely roll, and eat, starting at either end.....Delicious.

NOTE: The marinade mixture above also makes a terrific glaze/basting sauce for a whole chicken, rotisserie-cooked or roasted...Just double all ingredients.
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby xinjinbei on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:01 pm

Is there such thing as........Liquid Smoke?
What it tastes like?
xinjinbei
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby ken worley on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:42 pm

Yes, indeed...

ingredients listed on bottle: Water, Natural mesquite smoke flavor, Vinegar, Molasses, and Caramel color.

Indispensible for fajitas...mesquite+lime+cayenne+garlic+cumin+salt'n'pepper=
fiesta in your mouth, and on your chicken.

Believe, grasshopper....

ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby celtic_mike on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:28 am

Liquid smoke is fine, but nothing beats the real thing. I know, I know ye of lower means like myself cannot afford a smoker so you have a couple of choices:
A) Use the one at work if you so happen to work in a kitchen (personal choice)

B) Rig one. Get creative. You can buy a cheap ol' colemann camp stove and have a blast making a somewhat-smoker out of it. And it tastes dandy, sir, dandy.

:fsm_rock:
Religion, Reason, Bible
"My Dear Lady, I may be drunk and in the morning I'll be sober, but you will still be ugly" Winston Churchill
celtic_mike
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby anthrobabe on Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:20 pm

Liquid Smoke isn't as good as the real thing-- but it is acceptable.

for about $50(USA $, 2003) check this out

http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

the trashcan smoker-- made with a galvanized trash can.
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby ken worley on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:45 am

I will be making another batch of these tasty fajitas tonight...Along with sides of refried beans, spanish rice, and tortilla chips/salsa...

*drools profusely*
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby ken worley on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:29 am

bump.

I am getting hungry.
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby Cardinal Fang on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:07 pm

For those of us in the UK who don't have access to such things:

How to make chicken fajitas without liquid smoke

Cut up 4 decent sized chicken breasts into chunks. Put in a bowl with crushed garlic, cayenne pepper, cumin and the juice of 2 big juicy limes. Leave to marinate for as long as possible, pref. overnight.

Slice an onion and a (bell) pepper into fairly thin slices. Fry until just getting brown and crispy round the edges. Add the chicken. Cook until chix is cooked through and brown.

Stick in a warmed tortilla with salsa, sour cream (or natural yoghurt), cheese, veggies, guacamole, jalapeno peppers or whatever you fancy.

Eat. If you've got mates round, stick everything in bowls in the middle of the table and let people help themselves.

Whilst we're at it - recipe for home-made salsa

Dice into smallish chunks - 1 red onion, 3-4 medium sized tomatos, a packet of radishes, 1 - 2 green chillis (depends on taste but remove seeds). Stick in a bowl. Add the juice of 1 juicy lime. Get a handful of coriander (cilantro) leaves (or two if you've got tiny hands like me). Roughly chop. Mix into the veggies.

Add salt, pepper and cumin to taste. Leave to stand for a hour for the flavours to develop. If you want it hotter, add some of the chilli seeds in after.

As you can tell, I don't go in for exact measurements when I'm cooking.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Hmmmmm I just discovered this little Mexican shop down the block that makes tons of fresh tortillas every day. For two bucks you get this huge stack of still steaming hot fresh tortillas.

Hmmmm I've got chicken thighs in the freezer, and an onion. I think I know what I'm doing tomorrow night.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Auntie Blackbeard on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Me freind frum the Rio Grande Valley in Texas sez yer all up about somfin whut duzzn't egzist.

Fajita refers to the cheep cut uv beef frum which the rolled-up food is made, so unless yer chickunz haz bovine anatomy, thoze ain't fajitas. Th' wurd "faja" refurs to th' diafram muscle of th steer, or th' 'skirt steak' in th' US. Chikuns doezn't hav um.

He be a stiklur aboot his foods, th' bilgerat. An' he won't ship me any uv them, eethur.
Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:26 pm

Auntie Blackbeard wrote: 'skirt steak'

Mmmmm. I cooked one once. Did it totally wrong, but it was still good.

The mexican restaurant I worked at had a dish called steak churrasco. Its awesome. I ate it like ten times before it finally dawned on me that it was skirt steak. They marinate it in something for like two days. Its cool because the muscle fibers run perpindicular to the direction of a normal steak. And each muscle bundle is surrounded in juicy fatty goodness.

Oddly enough they don't use skirt steak for the fajitas. I'll be using it the nixt time I make em though. Sounds awesome.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Cardinal Fang on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:20 pm

Auntie Blackbeard wrote:Me freind frum the Rio Grande Valley in Texas sez yer all up about somfin whut duzzn't egzist.

Fajita refers to the cheep cut uv beef frum which the rolled-up food is made, so unless yer chickunz haz bovine anatomy, thoze ain't fajitas. Th' wurd "faja" refurs to th' diafram muscle of th steer, or th' 'skirt steak' in th' US. Chikuns doezn't hav um.

He be a stiklur aboot his foods, th' bilgerat. An' he won't ship me any uv them, eethur.

Technically a fajita is a generic term that refers to grilled strips of meat served on a flour or corn tortilla. It can be chicken, beef, shrimp or pork (this is opposed to burritos which use minced/ ground meat). Even more technically, it refers to one made with a wheat flour tortilla, where as a taco is one made with a maize flour tortilla.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Auntie Blackbeard on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:59 pm

He sez yAAAAARGH'll hev to talk to hiz uncle Sonny (Sonny Falcon) who first coined both the phrase and the dish in 1969 in Kyle, Texas, and at rodeos and fairs thereabouts fer yeerz efterwurdz...

(Ye moight chek wif that WickedPeedya. He sez it's got his uncle's noime in it.)
Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby ken worley on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:35 am

cf wrote:For those of us in the UK who don't have access to such things:

How to make chicken fajitas without liquid smoke

Actually, liquid smoke is a replacement for grilling the meat over a mesquite-wood fire.

You can, through the magic of the intraweb and global shipping services, get either liquid smoke, OR actual mesquite wood, mailed to you, even if you are in england.

If there is no mesquite flavor, either infused in marinade, or by cooking process, then you end up with something which may taste good, but is NOT fajitas.

Your post should have read something like:
How to make chicken or beef soft tacos, with bell peppers and lime, if you are in england and are too indolent/lazy/cheap to order liquid smoke and make a fajita.

:D
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Return to Food