Anybody listen to Metal here?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Moral Minority on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:07 am

Blood Red Sandman by Lordi

Feuer Frei by Rammstein.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Aagfed on Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:27 am

Rainswept wrote:
~NoodleDemon~ wrote:Them Bones by Alice in Chains is the greatest metal song ever.

Enter Sandman by Metallica is also an excellent example of the greatest metal songs.

:o Neither of those is even the best song by that group.

It's very hard to pick a best AiC song, I lean towards Man in the Box, but I also feel that Grind is underrated and phenominal. Them Bones , while excellent, is pretty standard for them, and sounds a lot like Angry Chair to me.

Metallica is easy. One.

Gassho.
And I would say that Alice in Chains is not metal...
Of course, I love the heavy heavy death/doom/thrash metal.
Mo' harder mo' betta.
Metta.
Aagfed
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:08 pm

...I guess you like teh screaming then...
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby TankReady on Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:29 am

My favourite:
Blind Guardian
Sonata arctica
Nightwish
Iron Maiden
Helloween
Manowar
then I listen to
Dream Theater
Gammaray
Bathory
Metallica
Children of Bodom
Cradle of filth
Rammstein
Lordi
and many many more...
i've been to the nightwish concert in orlando, planning to see dream theater!
TankReady
Ziti Zealot

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Dream Theater is awesome - Dance of Eternity is one of my favorite contemporary instrumental tracks ever.

I also kinda like Symphony X.

Haven't heard too much of them, tho.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Aagfed on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:32 am

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:...I guess you like teh screaming then...

Gassho.
I do. I've never been a fan of "operatic" vocals over uber-heavy music. If you are going to play music that is teh heavy, make the vocals match, IHO.
Metta.
Aagfed
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Moral Minority on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:07 am

I think that you only need to start appreciating hybrid genres of music.

I would like to start the first Jazz metal band in the world myself..
Moral Minority

Postby Aagfed on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:58 am

Moral Minority wrote:I think that you only need to start appreciating hybrid genres of music.

I would like to start the first Jazz metal band in the world myself..

Gassho.
I would listen to that! Seriouly, though, I like some hybrid genres, and I'm a tremendous lover of all types of music, but when I want metal, I want brain-grinding, spleen-thumping metal. Don't think me a purist, though. It is still metal, it's just not the type of metal that I'm into. That's all.
Metta.
Aagfed
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Moral Minority on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:06 am

I can appreciate pure metal myself, but I think the beauty of metal is that it can be combined with almost every genre of music.

(except that crap they call rap).
Moral Minority

Postby Aagfed on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:12 am

Moral Minority wrote:I can appreciate pure metal myself, but I think the beauty of metal is that it can be combined with almost every genre of music.

(except that crap they call rap).

Gassho.
That is one of the things I do like about metal as well, but of all the hybrids, goth metal is just my least favorite. That's all.
Oh, and don't be talking about rap like that. There is some good rap, although they stopped making it in the late 80's.
Metta.
Aagfed
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Moral Minority on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:14 am

I think that the only rapper worth listening to is Akon, and his stuff is not even real rap.
Moral Minority

Postby Aagfed on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:23 am

Moral Minority wrote:I think that the only rapper worth listening to is Akon, and his stuff is not even real rap.

Gassho.
And I respect your opinion (and I don't consider Akon to be real rap myself). I just happen to like it. Along with bluegrass, and a whole lot of other music that people generally don't like. :)
Metta.
Aagfed
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Moral Minority on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:25 am

Whatever, mate. You can be a metalhead even if you don't have long hair/like rap/are peaceful.

That is the beauty of metal.
Moral Minority

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:09 pm

Eh, you'd have to define 'metal'.

I like the more melodic metal, like the early 90's metal (like Metallica and AiC, for example), some of the 'hair metal' (actually more like hard rock, like GnR). Nowadays I mostly listen to Linkin Park (pre-Minutes to Midnight) and Disturbed, and the like.

Is Velvet Revolver metal?

Personally, I say good rap died out in the 90's - Outkast was pretty classy, IMO.

Aagfed wrote:...I would say that Alice in Chains is not metal...

Why?

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Aagfed on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:44 am

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:Eh, you'd have to define 'metal'.

I like the more melodic metal, like the early 90's metal (like Metallica and AiC, for example), some of the 'hair metal' (actually more like hard rock, like GnR). Nowadays I mostly listen to Linkin Park (pre-Minutes to Midnight) and Disturbed, and the like.

Is Velvet Revolver metal?

Personally, I say good rap died out in the 90's - Outkast was pretty classy, IMO.

Aagfed wrote:...I would say that Alice in Chains is not metal...

Why?

Gassho.

Alice in Chains, in the style of their guitar work and the downtuning of their guitars, along with Layne Staley's vocal style, with harmonies is more grunge than metal. To me, at least. You could define them as metal if you like.
I wouldn't call VR metal. They kind of fit in with the "new rock" catagory that seems to be thrown around these days.
Metta.
Aagfed
Cannelloni Cannoneer

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors