WARNING: New MAJOR attack on FSM-ID

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

WARNING: New MAJOR attack on FSM-ID

Postby ArchaeoloWench on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:32 pm

Be ready to counter this new attempt to force Christian ID down the throats of people who prefer either FSM-ID or no ID at all.

Check out: http://www.expelledthemovie.com/home.php

But remember, His Noodly Goodness does not want us to diss the religion of others. We simply want our religion treated equally with other religions.

RAmen :fsm:

___
Faith is an island in the setting sun,
But Proof is the bottom line for everyone.

Paul Simon
ArchaeoloWench
Conchigliette Convert

Postby jap88 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:30 am

I think we shall have much work ahead of us....
jap88
Ziti Zealot

Postby lordpunkmonk on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:14 am

this has been posted in another part of the forums already
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby MPTrooper on Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:25 pm

I honestly can't wait for the movie to come out. I keep hearing how ID is so horrible and evil and what not. I understand the basics of evolution and it sounds logical to me, however in all honest I have yet to fully understand why ID is so loathed especially since I've yet to read a reason I can understand that isn't filled with hyper techno babble or coming from a highly biased point of View.

The movie trailer made several good points in my opinion and I can't wait to see how it address the issue.

That and the fact I find Ben Stine to be awesome helps also.
MPTrooper

Postby EarthRise on Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:49 pm

MPTrooper wrote:I honestly can't wait for the movie to come out. I keep hearing how ID is so horrible and evil and what not. I understand the basics of evolution and it sounds logical to me, however in all honest I have yet to fully understand why ID is so loathed especially since I've yet to read a reason I can understand that isn't filled with hyper techno babble or coming from a highly biased point of View.

The movie trailer made several good points in my opinion and I can't wait to see how it address the issue.

Surely you jest.

"Big Science has expelled smart new ideas from the classroom." Really, MPT?

ID is so loathed because it styles itself as science and tries to convince everyone that it is valid. In actuality, ID only intends to tear down evolution through false arguments and strawmen conclusions. When scientists refuse to recognize ID's empty scientific claims, IDers whine about discrimination and limiting freedom of ideas.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby MPTrooper on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:02 pm

EarthRise wrote:
MPTrooper wrote:I honestly can't wait for the movie to come out. I keep hearing how ID is so horrible and evil and what not. I understand the basics of evolution and it sounds logical to me, however in all honest I have yet to fully understand why ID is so loathed especially since I've yet to read a reason I can understand that isn't filled with hyper techno babble or coming from a highly biased point of View.

Surely you jest.

"Big Science has expelled smart new ideas from the classroom." Really, MPT?

ID is so loathed because it styles itself as science and tries to convince everyone that it is valid. In actuality, ID only intends to tear down evolution through false arguments and strawmen conclusions. When scientists refuse to recognize ID's empty scientific claims, IDers whine about discrimination and limiting freedom of ideas.

I don't jest...much. However I am serious about the movie and my willingness to see it as I believe that both sides of an issue should be examined before one jumps to conclusions. I don't think I'll give up on evolution as I understand and believe it to have happened, however I still don't think it's fair to dismiss something out of hand without at least having a chance to understand it from those who practice it.
MPTrooper

Postby Cardinal Fang on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:24 pm

Surely the thing to do is to go to the movie and every time they claim that ID is scientific etc - laugh (or loud mutters of "yeah right").

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby EarthRise on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:47 pm

MPTrooper wrote:I don't jest...much. However I am serious about the movie and my willingness to see it as I believe that both sides of an issue should be examined before one jumps to conclusions. I don't think I'll give up on evolution as I understand and believe it to have happened, however I still don't think it's fair to dismiss something out of hand without at least having a chance to understand it from those who practice it.

You can understand it from those who practice it quite readily by looking at the arguments. Those that dismiss ID from the scientific classroom are generally familiar with the ID claims, to the extent that one can very easily discern the biases inherent in this particular brand of pseudoscience.

If you need more understanding, investigate the Wedge document, the 'smoking bullet,' as it has been called, of ID's ties to blatant propaganda and religious fundamentalism.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby MPTrooper on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:17 pm

EarthRise wrote:
MPTrooper wrote:I don't jest...much. However I am serious about the movie and my willingness to see it as I believe that both sides of an issue should be examined before one jumps to conclusions. I don't think I'll give up on evolution as I understand and believe it to have happened, however I still don't think it's fair to dismiss something out of hand without at least having a chance to understand it from those who practice it.

You can understand it from those who practice it quite readily by looking at the arguments. Those that dismiss ID from the scientific classroom are generally familiar with the ID claims, to the extent that one can very easily discern the biases inherent in this particular brand of pseudoscience.

If you need more understanding, investigate the Wedge document, the 'smoking bullet,' as it has been called, of ID's ties to blatant propaganda and religious fundamentalism.

I'd much rather watch the movie and make my own decission based on the claims they are making. Thanks anyway.
MPTrooper

Postby lordpunkmonk on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:35 pm

MPTrooper wrote:
EarthRise wrote:

I'd much rather watch the movie and make my own decission based on the claims they are making. Thanks anyway.

MPT I mean seriously what do you think the whole FSM thing is?
do you just think we are a bunch of guys screwing around on the internet because we have nothing else to do? I mean we are protesting ID being taught in classrooms

I mean your a cool guy and all but I thought you would know why we were protesting something when you are part of the protest
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:18 pm

Watched the trailer. Did Ben Stein not get the DI memo that says "Psssst, don't ever say 'god'"? He screwed the pooch in the first minute.

Its funny how in all the ID propaganda where they are just pandering to the people, they're like "Yeah we're talking about god here!". But then in the courts they act like its some unidentified designer and refuse to say god.

I also like that they are going with the evolution conspiracy theme. This always cracks me up. "Big Science", the education system, the media, and the courts are all apart of this tragic conspiracy. Haaaaa haaaaa!

Also Earthrise, did you notice that old Ben stooped to bringing Godwin's Law to fruition within the first two minutes. That cracked me up.

Will you guys fault me if I choose to pirate this movie rather than give money to the assholes that made it?
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:20 pm

PirateGuy wrote:Watched the trailer. Did Ben Stein not get the DI memo that says "Psssst, don't ever say 'god'"? He screwed the pooch in the first minute.

Its funny how in all the ID propaganda where they are just pandering to the people, they're like "Yeah we're talking about god here!". But then in the courts they act like its some unidentified designer and refuse to say god.

I also like that they are going with the evolution conspiracy theme. This always cracks me up. "Big Science", the education system, the media, and the courts are all apart of this tragic conspiracy. Haaaaa haaaaa!

Also Earthrise, did you notice that old Ben stooped to bringing Godwin's Law to fruition within the first two minutes. That cracked me up.

Will you guys fault me if I choose to pirate this movie rather than give money to the assholes that made it?
No.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby lordpunkmonk on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:22 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
PirateGuy wrote:Watched the trailer. Did Ben Stein not get the DI memo that says "Psssst, don't ever say 'god'"? He screwed the pooch in the first minute.

No.

I second that no and when you do could you post it here so we can all have a good laugh?
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:34 pm

They are apparently releasing it in theaters, which surprises me. I'm guessing it will be in limited theaters for awhile. I'm also guessing that they will be counting on busloads of happy churchgoers taking little field trips to see it. This means that there will likely be tons of promotional copies sent out to mega-church pastors across the nation. And mega-church pastors often have mischievious teenaged children.

I doubt it will be long before it gets leaked. I'll be happy to inform everyone when it does.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby MPTrooper on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:46 pm

lordpunkmonk wrote:
MPT I mean seriously what do you think the whole FSM thing is?
do you just think we are a bunch of guys screwing around on the internet because we have nothing else to do? I mean we are protesting ID being taught in classrooms

I mean your a cool guy and all but I thought you would know why we were protesting something when you are part of the protest

I never claimed too seriously to be a member of FSM'ism. I simply wish to get a better picture of the thing we're all supposed to be protesting.

I'm really surprised at how lop sided things can get. In one post, I'm blasted because I don't care to read books by certain authors. Here I'm attacked because I want to study something no one else agrees with.

Seems kinds ironic to me.
MPTrooper

Next

Return to The Cause