Sitcoms?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Lord of Numa on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Dr Dagger wrote:Scrubs
Friends
Scrubs
Two and a half men
Scrubs

...Did I mention that Scrubs is awesome?
scrubs is the best show on television, followed closely by The Office (that doesn't count as a sitcom, does it?)
May the glorious Flying Spaghetti Monster bathe you in his wondrous Mercy, Love, and Garlic Sauce!
May He bless MP3 Fiesta and their noodlicious music bargains!
May He also watch over Roffleopolis and touch it with his marvelous Noodly Appendages.

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Rainswept on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:49 pm

I'm sorry, but you're smoking something.

I enjoy Scrubs myself, but "best show on TV" ? give me a break. It's not even the best show in it's lineup (30 Rock is).

The Simpsons and Family Guy are funnier than Scrubs most every week. There are several quite decent dramas like House and Lost which are certainly better quality shows (with actual acting in them).

Altho sadly, we lost 2 of the best shows from last year now. Veronica Mars and Deadwood.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby farfalla on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:17 pm

Scrubs used to be better

The Big Bang Theory is off to a good start, but too early to tell

like Office and Two and a Half Men

among those no longer on except in syndication my favorites are 70's Show and the classic M*A*S*H

farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby Lord of Numa on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:28 pm

farfalla wrote:Scrubs used to be better
ah yes, I forgot to mention, I don't watch TV :D

I have the first 3 seasons on DVD, and they are awesome
May the glorious Flying Spaghetti Monster bathe you in his wondrous Mercy, Love, and Garlic Sauce!
May He also watch over Roffleopolis and touch it with his marvelous Noodly Appendages.

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Rainswept on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:37 pm

It's definitely not as good now as it was then. Still a decent show.

I hate The Office. Everyone I know loves it, but I can't even watch 5 minutes of it. The humor in it makes me feel uncomfortable instead of laughing. I can't quite explain it.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Lord of Numa on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:38 pm

Rainswept wrote:It's definitely not as good now as it was then. Still a decent show.

I hate The Office. Everyone I know loves it, but I can't even watch 5 minutes of it. The humor in it makes me feel uncomfortable instead of laughing. I can't quite explain it.
To an extent, I think I know what you mean.

I still think it is funny as hell though :D

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:40 am

Rainswept wrote:It's definitely not as good now as it was then. Still a decent show.

I feel the same, for some reason...

I also (caution - blasphemy to follow) find the Simpsons only somewhat funny. Family Guy uses many of the same jokes, I agree, but it does them so much freakin' better...

However, I do enjoy Scrubs (who doesn't, really?) and I also enjoy watching Friends and Two and a Half Men, mainly because Charlie Sheen is Class.

However, I have to say that the most outright hilarious situational comedy show is MXC.

How is it possible to disagree?

Unless you are Japanese, in which case it is probably downright offensive.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Moral Minority on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:22 am

The Addams Family
Everybody Loves Raymond
Frasier
The King of Queens
According to Jim
That 70s Show
Fawlty Towers
Blackadder (all except the first)
The Cosby Show
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Dr Dagger on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:45 am

How did I forget Fawlty Towers!? And Monty Python's Flying Circus!?
Signed Dr Dagger, The Yorkshire Ripper
Dr Dagger
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby thelastpirate on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Allo Allo is good at times, one foot in the grave is good but I doubt any of the non Brits here will have seen that.
thelastpirate
Lord of Linguini

Location: I hope in no place so unsanctified where such as thou mayst find me.

Postby Lord of Numa on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:24 pm

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:

I feel the same, for some reason...

I also (caution - blasphemy to follow) find the Simpsons only somewhat funny. Family Guy uses many of the same jokes, I agree, but it does them so much freakin' better...

However, I do enjoy Scrubs (who doesn't, really?) and I also enjoy watching Friends and Two and a Half Men, mainly because Charlie Sheen is Class.

However, I have to say that the most outright hilarious situational comedy show is MXC.

How is it possible to disagree?

Unless you are Japanese, in which case it is probably downright offensive.
MXC is hilarious :D

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby flux on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:21 pm

Dr Dagger wrote:How did I forget Fawlty Towers!? And Monty Python's Flying Circus!?

Since when was the flying circus a sitcom?
And also the British Office is way better than the American version.
flux
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:07 pm

Rainswept wrote:I hate The Office. Everyone I know loves it, but I can't even watch 5 minutes of it. The humor in it makes me feel uncomfortable instead of laughing. I can't quite explain it.

I know what you mean but I gotta say you're crazy. The Office is brilliantly funny!

Now what you describe is exactly what I felt watching the British version of the Office (even though I still loved it). The British version is way more based on dry humor and the uncomfortableness of situations. Ricky Gervais fricking nailed that role. There are scenes in that show that are so damn uncomfortable that they made me blush and feel like I was in the room with them.

The greatest show that this nation has seen in decades was Arrested Development, and they killed it.

The Trailer Park Boys, Kenny Vs Spenny, and Little Britain are among my foreign favorites.

If you haven't seen this new show on AMC (yeah AMC WTF?) called Breaking Bad you should really check it out. Its about a Chemistry teacher (the dad from Malcom in the Middle) who has a bunch of debt and finds out that he's dying. He gets the idea to start cooking crystal meth, and creates the worlds most pure meth. So far its been pretty damn good.

Watch it here
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby The Dark Noodle on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:27 pm

The original British version of the Office fantastic… The septic remake…. Why did they bother? Why can’t they leave things alone that they don’t understand?

My list…

One foot in the Grave
Waiting for god
Little Brittan
Red Dwarf
The Trailer Park Boys
My Name is Earl
MASH
Fawlty Towers
Blackadder
The Goodies
The Young Ones
Whoops Apocalypse
The Office (UK version)

The above are in no particular order.
The Dark Noodle
AKA - The Rev. Dr. Jo Freddie

The Book of Piraticus 12:1-3
I gave you brains, the ability to reason, and free will for a reason.
Please use them.
If I say something dumb, question it.
http://www.loose-canon.info/ - A really Important Collection of Words.
The Dark Noodle
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Location: Council of The Olive Garden, The Rev. Dr. Jo Freddie

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:52 pm

No way. The US Office took the original formula and made it so much better
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors