Anybody listen to Metal here?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Rainswept on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:41 pm

Lord of Numa wrote:Ah, yes it is! I forgot about Disturbed

Disturbed is one of my favorites to workout to.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby lordpunkmonk on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:11 pm

I like metal
say has anyone seen the youtube video with spongebob singing a job for a cowboy song? it is hilarious

I am using school comp right now so I canot link to it but if you search job for a sponge on youtube you will find it
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Cardinal Queequeg on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Grumble.......

At least it isn't disco.

I don't know squat about this music, but you might want to check out this website, posted from our new member, Ramseus:

http://www.heavymetalsociety.org/forums/

lots of metal talk.

C.Q.
admin
In the name of the Pasta, and of the Sauce, and of the Garlic Toast, RAmen.
I look, you look, he looks, we look, ye look, they look.
Cardinal Queequeg
Holy Harpooneer

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:54 pm

What do you prefer, CQ?

EDIT: AiC truly is one of the best ever. Just listened to Would and Heaven Beside You again.

Tool is also nice to listen to when meditating.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Lord of Numa on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:04 pm

Oh man.... the Breaking Benjamin/Three Days Grace/Seether concert was amazing! (...in case anyone cares... but they don't....)
May the glorious Flying Spaghetti Monster bathe you in his wondrous Mercy, Love, and Garlic Sauce!
May He bless MP3 Fiesta and their noodlicious music bargains!
May He also watch over Roffleopolis and touch it with his marvelous Noodly Appendages.

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:45 pm

No, I like Seether. I do kinda care, 'cause some friends o' mine went there.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Lord of Numa on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:34 pm

Yes, it was very good.
May the glorious Flying Spaghetti Monster bathe you in his wondrous Mercy, Love, and Garlic Sauce!
May He also watch over Roffleopolis and touch it with his marvelous Noodly Appendages.

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:58 pm

Sure, lord it over the New Jersians, will you...

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Lord of Numa on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:16 pm

oh, I will :D

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Moral Minority on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:20 am

I am a diehard Rammstein and Korn fan. I love metal!!

But I prefer dark cabaret and darkwave.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:57 am

I got called all sorts of names for pointing this out in another forum, but I'll say it here anyway:

Does anyone else notice the uncanny resemblance in the vocals to death metal songs & the voice of the cookie monster?

I noticed this the immediate moment that I heard death metal for the first time, and thus, I have known it as cookie monster music ever since.

Some types of metal I like. Though, since the '70s, a lot of stuff known as metal then has a different classification now. Even Steppenwolf, the writers of the song from whence the term emerged (Born to Be Wild) have seen reclassification into "hard rock" or some other wanky demotion.

Mind you, they used to call Boston (the band not the city) heavy metal. While I like the band, whoever gave them that misclassification (probably just because it has a lot of power chords in it) seriously has a limited vocabulary when it comes to music styles.

On a side note: What the fuck does R&B stand for nowadays?? It used to stand for Rhythm & Blues and way cool bands such as Credence Clearwater Revival, Paul Pena, Snooks Eaglin, Lonnie Johnson, etc used to play it. Now suddenly they've reclassified rap as R&B!! What??

I've asked people who claim to be afficionados of R&B - but have never heard of the above artists - what it stands for. They either give me a clueless look & say "I dunno," or they make some shit up like "Rap & Bass"

The same shit happened to Soul. Play some Otis or James or Aretha to anyone under 20 nowadays & call it Soul & they'll sneer at you & say "That's not soul!" (this has actually happened to me).

Has Funk suffered the same bastardisation yet?

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Whippersnappers

Intelligence: What stupid people think they have lots of.
Stupidity: What intelligent people wish they had less of.

I want you to know that everything I did, I did for my country.
- Pol Pot

Check out St JtB's MySpace page here!!
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby Lord of Numa on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:36 am

St John the Blasphemist wrote:On a side note: What the fuck does R&B stand for nowadays?? It used to stand for Rhythm & Blues and way cool bands such as Credence Clearwater Revival, Paul Pena, Snooks Eaglin, Lonnie Johnson, etc used to play it. Now suddenly they've reclassified rap as R&B!! What??

I've asked people who claim to be afficionados of R&B - but have never heard of the above artists - what it stands for. They either give me a clueless look & say "I dunno," or they make some shit up like "Rap & Bass"

The same shit happened to Soul. Play some Otis or James or Aretha to anyone under 20 nowadays & call it Soul & they'll sneer at you & say "That's not soul!" (this has actually happened to me).

Has Funk suffered the same bastardisation yet?

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Whippersnappers
You may be onto something!

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:13 am

Them Bones by Alice in Chains is the greatest metal song ever.

Enter Sandman by Metallica is also an excellent example of the greatest metal songs.

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Rainswept on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:33 am

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:Them Bones by Alice in Chains is the greatest metal song ever.

Enter Sandman by Metallica is also an excellent example of the greatest metal songs.

:o Neither of those is even the best song by that group.

It's very hard to pick a best AiC song, I lean towards Man in the Box, but I also feel that Grind is underrated and phenominal. Them Bones , while excellent, is pretty standard for them, and sounds a lot like Angry Chair to me.

Metallica is easy. One.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:10 am

I know that neither is the best song by either group, but to me they sound more like the quintessence of metal. Hard driving, and dominating. Don't tell me the Staley/Cantrell harmonizing doesn't sound like pure ownage.

You're right, though, and I prefer Again or Would.

And Enter Sandman is a classic, man.

EDIT: Nevermind, Down in a Hole is way better.

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors