Anybody listen to Metal here?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Wawizzle on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:56 pm

I am a big fan of Death and Black Metal and I have to wonder if it calls the attention of any of my fellow Pastafarians.

My favorite genres would really be Melodic Death Metal and Symphonic Black metal, but there really is a lot of metal to go around.

Favorite bands would include: The Black Dahlia Murder, In Flames, Necrophagist and Brain Drill.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:58 pm

I'm afraid most would say their tastes are somewhat softer than that, but there are probably quite a few metal fans around here.

I prefer mostly classic metal, and I see a couple bearable nu-metal bands around nowadays.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Wawizzle on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:59 pm

I was at first a gigantic Metallica fan, who disliked Death metal and all genres of the like.

But then I started getting into heavier and heavier bands until I am where I am now :D

What do you mean by "classic metal"? What genres/bands would that include?
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:00 pm

ummm... mostly metallica and teh like.

I'd say you'd have to define 'metal' first, as it is a somewhat plastic term.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Andrey Kurtenkov on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:32 pm

En mateno de hela ero, per la forĉo de espero, venas viglaj pastafaroj, vere fluganta gefratoj.
Ah, vi flugu, Nia Monstro! Vin observas milionoj serĉiantaj vermiĉeloj, per espero kaj per amo.
Kaj la bona pastafaro post la malfermita pordo, trovos la eternan vivon en pastafara paradizo!
Pastafarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!
Българска пастафарианска църква (Bulgarian Pastafarian Church)
- за прослава на Макаронения Бог :worship: :fsm_float:
Andrey Kurtenkov
Chitarra Captain

Postby Rainswept on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:27 pm

Well.. I'm making popcorn at the moment, and I have to listen to it pinging off the inside of the metal pot to know when it's done. That count?

Actually, I've seen Metallica live, but mostly I moved more towards NIN, Tool, APC etc since then. I'm a big Alice in Chains fan, if they count as Metal. (Jerry Cantrell was the opening act when I saw Metallica.)
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Lord of Numa on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:51 pm

I enjoy some Metalcore/Death Metal every once in a while.

Kingston Falls
Job For A Cowboy
It Dies Today
Killswitch Engage
Destroy the Runner
As I Lay Dying
Atreyu
Chariot
Haste the Day
Zao
Sinai Beach
May the glorious Flying Spaghetti Monster bathe you in his wondrous Mercy, Love, and Garlic Sauce!
May He bless MP3 Fiesta and their noodlicious music bargains!
May He also watch over Roffleopolis and touch it with his marvelous Noodly Appendages.

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:06 pm

Sorry, but I cannot stand JfaC.

AiC kicks ass, even though Layne is dead. The new AiC isn't too bad, and the singer has some friggin' huge shoes to fill.

Some of the best from 'Grunge'.

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Lord of Numa on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:26 pm

If we are leaning towards ordinary metal, there are some "softer" bands that I like, such as

Nine Inch Nails
Breaking Benjamin
Seether
Three Days Grace
Korn
Slipnot

It's pretty cool, I am going to see Breaking Benjamin, Seether, and Three Days Grace in concert tonight, provided I get over this damn cold in the next 5 hours
May the glorious Flying Spaghetti Monster bathe you in his wondrous Mercy, Love, and Garlic Sauce!
May He also watch over Roffleopolis and touch it with his marvelous Noodly Appendages.

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:29 pm

I'd say Seether is more post-Grunge.

It's like a new iteration of Nirvana, just not as cool.

I still like Seether, tho, don't get me wrong.

Disturbed is metal, is it not?

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Lord of Numa on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:33 pm

Ah, yes it is! I forgot about Disturbed

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Rather good, as melodic metal goes.

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Wawizzle on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:46 pm

Well those bands listed are more mainstream and I wouldn't consider all of them "metal."

The bands that I really like include

Aborted
All That Remains
As I Lay Dying
At the Gates
Avenged Sevenfold
Behemoth
Beneath the Massacre
The Black Dahlia Murder
Brain Drill
Children of Bodom
Darkest Hour
Dissection
Dragon Force
Dragonlord
The Faceless
In Flames
Killswitch Engage
Lamb of God
Metallica
Necrophagist
Nile
Rammstein
Static-X
Testament

Just to name a few. :D

I have 16 different genres of Metal on my iPod.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Lord of Numa on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:48 pm

Wawizzle wrote:I have 16 different genres of Metal on my iPod.
:D Nice!

RAmen
Lord of Numa
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby KC Observer on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:12 pm

Wow - & I foolishly thought you might have been referring to the likes of Black Sabbath/Ozzie, etc. Or the original metal band, :worship: Led Zep. :worship: :fsm_rock:

Guess I'm showing my age! :cry:
The Pope
KC Observer
Mod

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors