How do we Pastafarians feel about the demotion of Pluto?

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

How do we Pastafarians feel about the demotion of Pluto?

Postby c_felix on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:37 am

Does anyone have any idea where we stand on this?

Is Pluto a planet any more to us?

::confused::

I'd like to know the official stance so I can possibly include this in discussions with others and/or e-mails to school boards.
-Perhaps the Beatles were right; maybe all we need is love-
c_felix
Ziti Zealot

Postby Pirate Terramort on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:28 am

Aye, I believe in the planetness of Pluto still. I believe us Pastafarians must stick together on this issue, and lobby for the re-instation of the beloved Pluto.
Sincerely,
Drew Anderson, Th. D.
Captain of the Birthday Massacre
High Magus of the Wise Council of World Pasta

If you love someone, set them free. If they return to you, put several 8 inch blades into their head. If they return again, then run.... Just RUN.

1st Nautilus 4:4 " For, in the words of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, “Don’t be a bitch. It’s not nice.” "
Pirate Terramort
Tortellini Third Mate

Thoughtful reply

Postby Reilynn on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:00 am

Felt? I can't really say I felt anything about it.

On one hand/noodly appendage, it would mean that my grade school teacher was wrong about yet another thing.

On another - Meh! It wasn't on quite the right plane anyhow, so ... one less problem. Although Uranus has been orbiting on its side, (or is it retrograde?) for years an nobody is talking about kicking it out.

On another it would undo 67 years of scientific progress. Wait, we still acknowledge it's existence? Dwarf planet??? Just because it is smaller than our moon!?! ... ok, wait, let me get back to you on this one.

(The great thing about FSM is that He has more than two appendages and can see more than just two sides of the argument. :D )

On another appendage, this is a HUGE inconvenience for several fine websites (like http://www.nineplanets.org/ ) and numerous toy manufactures that made sets with 9 planets. Of course those things were never to scale so maybe they deserve it.

On another appendage, … “Of course this change in terminology does not affect what's actually out there. In the end, it's not very important how we classify the various objects in our solar system. What is important is to learn about their physical nature and their histories.â€￾ - from above mentioned http://www.nineplanets.org/

On another appendage dictionaries record common usage, they do dictate the definition of the words. So if we all just keep calling Pluto a planet, the dictionary will have to call it that (indeed I am certain that most printed dictionaries still do) then we have more than adequate “proofâ€￾ that Pluto is a planet, no matter what that snooty IAU says.

“Yeah, yeah. Pluto is a “dwarfâ€￾ planet, or as we called it back in MY day, planet for short.â€￾ (he he, I am imagining there pretentious eyes bugging out when I say that to them.)

On another appendage (No, we never run out. It’s a miracle.) it seems to mean a lot to Pirate Terramort. (He definitely cares about this more than I do, even though I have the longer post.)

So in conclusion, I recommend we support out fellow Pastafarian and continue to refer to Pluto as a planet. Especially in front of anyone that works for a dictionary.

That and we have another area to watch people’s eyes bug out about because they can’t argue with our logic even though they really really want to. He he.

:fsm:
This message is sent on 100% recycled electrons.
Reilynn
Conchigliette Convert

Postby c_felix on Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:48 pm

I think retrograde is when the planet orbits in the opposite direction when compared to all the others in the system...either that or the way a planet, when viewed from Earth with the naked eye as a star looking type of object, the way the planet could move from left to right in the sky, then stop and move right to left, while all the other "good" stars that listened to their mommy and daddy stars, continue to head in the same direction.

Let me update my original post here:

I want to have an e-mail handy to send to school systems about the idea that science is fluid, that when we learn more, we change the rules of what we expect and/or what we observe.
c_felix
Ziti Zealot

Postby Clifford on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:43 pm

I think it should still be named a planet - you don't find astrologists trying to demote Saturn's 14th moon to just an asteriod, do you? Pluto's in orbit - and that's all that matters!
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby epictetus on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:59 pm

When the Disney corporation originally announced that Pluto was leaving to "pursue other interests" and "spend more time with his family", we all suspected something was amiss. After all, his decades of service both before and behind the cameras has been key to the company's success.

However, in recent days it has come to light that while Pluto was in charge of derivatives trading and currency hedging for the Disney Corporation, he may in fact have engaged in goofy transactions.

M. Mouse, a company spokesman, spoke of Pluto's loyalty over the years, but would not otherwise comment.

(source: Reuters Business Reports and The Economist)
epictetus
Ziti Zealot

Postby Pirate Terramort on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:52 am

I have spent the last couple of days researching the nature of Pluto. I have come to the conclusion that both Pluto AND the planet Eris be instated as planets. Both bodies have orbiting satellites, are significantly larger than then any other objects in their respective orbits, and both orbit the sun. I grew up believing that these three things are what makes a planet a planet. True, Ceres also orbits the sun, and is the largest thing in the astroid belt, but I feel that most people arn't ready to recognize Ceres as a true planet.

Even the scientists still acknowledge that both Pluto, Eris, and Ceres are planets, albiet dwarf planets. Why should we bring petty discrimination issues into space for FSM's sakes? They say in the 2006 revision of "What defines a planet" that a planet has to "clear it's neighborhood," and neither Pluto or Eris have done so.

Well, three major planet's of our solar system haven't "cleared the neighborhood." They are: Earth, Jupiter, and Neptune. There are possibly other planet's that also have not yet "cleared the neighborhood."

Given these facts, is there anyone who is willing to join me in reinstating Pluto as a planet, and giving Eris the chance to become the legendary 10th planet?
Sincerely,
Drew Anderson, Th. D.

If you love someone, set them free. If they return to you, put several 8 inch blades into their head. If they return again, then run.... Just RUN.

1st Nautilus 4:4 " For, in the words of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, “Don’t be a bitch. It’s not nice.” "
Pirate Terramort
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby c_felix on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:51 am

I have always wanted the tenth planet to be named Rupert. (Lets see who gets that reference!)

Also...when the Noodly One was a little drunk and was making things that were not too well thought out...perhaps that's when he made the planet Uranus (and gave it its name so we could all have a good laugh. :fsm_rock: ) After all, Uranus spins sideways. Its north pole or south pole faces the sun. It spins on its side. He sure did have one too many.
c_felix
Ziti Zealot

Postby Pirate Terramort on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:50 am

I agree. The Noodly One had one to many when he created our solar system. However, he could have done it on purpose, to cause scientists believe that Uranus collided with an asteroid, thus causing the sideways rotation.
Sincerely,
Drew Anderson, Th. D.

Pirate Terramort
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby epictetus on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:20 pm

Terramort and I went to seminary together, though I earned my Th.D. just before he did.

This is why we share such a strong mutual faith in the revealed truth of creationist inebriation. Indeed, without this crucial bit of theological glue, the entire Creationist argument would fall apart.

So, rest assured those of you new to Pastafarianism and our spaghedeity, all the authorities know in their hearts that our blessed creator (meaty be his balls) was tipsy when setting about creating the universe.

In the name of the noodles, the balls, and the holy sauce,

RAmen

Rev. Dr. Epictetus, Th.D.
epictetus
Ziti Zealot

Postby Clifford on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:15 pm

^^ I take your answer for Pluto should be a planet then.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby TheWikidFool on Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:12 pm

I belive Pluto has been chosen as a Holy Planet by The FSM. Obvisouly everything that is turned down by common soceity and science is Holy by the means of FSM. Such as the theroy of Pirate vs. Global Warming, and our theroy of intellgent design, perhaps FSM also love the noodly planet of Pluto.
TheWikidFool
Ziti Zealot

Location: On a Pirate Ship built in Kansas, sailing by Italy.

Postby thelastpirate on Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:52 pm

Clifford wrote:I think it should still be named a planet - you don't find astrologists trying to demote Saturn's 14th moon to just an asteriod, do you? Pluto's in orbit - and that's all that matters!

The Kuiper Belt (many thousands of asteroids), and thousands of "plutoids" also orbit our solar system which have mass relatively similar to that of Pluto. They cant all be planets, surely?
thelastpirate
Lord of Linguini

Location: I hope in no place so unsanctified where such as thou mayst find me.

Postby Clifford on Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Why not? We've got until the sun expands in a ball of destruction i.e. 5 billion years or something.
Clifford

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Re: How do we Pastafarians feel about the demotion of Pluto?

Postby Helene Potier on Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:55 pm

verily, when He created Pluto, the FSM intended for us to be indecisive. It would pose a scienitfic puzzle to us, he knew, and would single out those who had fallen ill of the malady of Curiosity, and those who concerned themselves with only the important questions: how better to understand Pasta and the Meatball.

RAmen.
Sister Helen Potts, Dearneside Branch of Pastafarianism
And Cloister spake: "Lo, I shall lead you to Fuschal, and there we shall open a temple of food, wherein shall be sausages and savoury doughnuts and all manner of bountiful things. Yea, even individual sachets of mustard. And those who serve shall wear hats of great majesty, yea, though they be made of coloured cardboard and have humorous arrows through the top."

Red Dwarf, Series 1, Waiting for God.
Helene Potier
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Next

Return to Scripture and Lore