Quote out of context

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Quote out of context

Postby lordpunkmonk on Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:12 am

This is the quote out of context thread the objective is to take someone's quote and make it sound different by taking it out of context you can use sigs and avatars

for instance
...the objective is to take someone...
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:31 am

I posted this in another part of the forum, but it's worth repeating:

http://www.idnet.com.au/ wrote:Biology Direct publishes this wonderful paper by Eugene Koonin. "In each major class of biological objects, the principal types emerge "ready-made", and intermediate grades cannot be identified. ... The position of some ultra-darwinists that Darwin, "in principle", solved all the problems of the origin of biological complexity in his eye story, and only minor details remain to be filled in is outright false.... The ID folks are clever in their own perverse way, they see through such false simplicity and seize on it."

They didn't take it from the paper itself, but from the reviewer's comments & author's responses.
Biology Direct wrote:Abstract: "In each major class of biological objects, the principal types emerge "ready-made", and intermediate grades cannot be identified." Ouch, that will be up on ID websites faster than one can bat an eye.

Author's response: Here I do not really understand the concern. I changed "ready-made" to "abruptly", to avoid any ID allusions and added clarifications but, beyond that, there is little I can do because this is an important sentence that accurately and clearly portrays a crucial and, to the very best of my understanding, real feature of evolutionary transitions. Will this be used by the ID camp? Perhaps – if they read that far into the paper. However, I am afraid that, if our goal as evolutionary biologists is to avoid providing any grist for the ID mill, we should simply claim that Darwin, "in principle", solved all the problems of the origin of biological complexity in his eye story, and only minor details remain to be filled in. Actually, I think the position of some ultra-darwinists is pretty close to that. However, I believe that this is totally counter-productive and such a notion is outright false. And, the ID folks are clever in their own perverse way, they see through such false simplicity and seize on it. I think we (students of evolution) should openly admit that emergence of new levels of complexity is a complex problem and should try to work out solutions some of which could be distinctly non-orthodox; ID, however, does not happen to be a viable solution to any problem. I think this is my approach here and elsewhere.

Intelligence: What stupid people think they have lots of.
Stupidity: What intelligent people wish they had less of.

I want you to know that everything I did, I did for my country.
- Pol Pot

Check out St JtB's MySpace page here!!
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby ken worley on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:33 am

earthrise wrote:Why do you hate my new vagina?
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby Rainswept on Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:56 pm

black bart wrote:Hold on a minute thar ye greedy git...ye'll leave no Anus fer the rest of us!
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:00 pm

Jesus wrote:But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

He isn't giving instructions here, merely telling a parable about a king. Of course, the king is held up as an example of how to be so...
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:57 pm

From Rainswept's sig...

let the hero in your soul perish
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby lordpunkmonk on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:12 pm

I will quote myself since I am such an easy target
I want drop dead fred
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby ken worley on Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:14 am

dukes wrote:...I never went into one of the 'Negro Only' bathrooms that I remember seeing on ferryboats, but I do recall the smell outside of one...The "White Only" toilet was okay....
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby lordpunkmonk on Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:05 am

here is one
monterayjack wrote:if this sounds racist plz don't take it that way... alot of steriotypes are there for a reason... again not racist
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby lordpunkmonk on Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:49 am

had to go through old posts that were starting to grow mold (locked posts) to get this one and boy is she a beauty
AntieDD wrote:I am SPECIAL
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:42 am

lordpunkmonk wrote:hell yes give it to me now
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby lordpunkmonk on Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:18 am

you get a cookie
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby ken worley on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:18 pm

moral minority wrote:I don't even know how to do it with my mouth, let alone non-naturally occuring body holes.
ken worley
King of the Pervs

Flaming

Postby black bart on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:50 pm

Moral Minority also wrote:

TPBM is a flaming homosexual.

Do we really need to know the gory details?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby ken worley on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:55 am

Schmeeges wrote:...I have already sucked two thirteen year olds...

ken worley
King of the Pervs

Next

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes