Yard sign

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

What do you think of someone displaying a 10 Commandments sign in their yard?

Nothing wrong with it, it's their right.
25%
It's within their rights, but what kind of a douche would do that?!
75%
That offensive to people of other beliefs and shouldn't be allowed.
No votes

Total votes : 28

Yard sign

Postby groundrush on Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:34 pm

So I was pulling into my driveway today when I noticed my certifiably crazy neighbor across the street had put up a 10 commandments sign in her front yard for me to have to look at every day. It was obviously put there for me and people like me, and while it is her property (even though there is a rule in our neighborhood charter that bans signs other than For Sale signs, it's not enforced) I consider it an affront.

So my question is, does anyone know how I can get my hands on a similar sign (same size and shape as those political signs you always see) with the 8 I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts on it? I can't think of a better way to counter her religious grandstanding than a little display of Pastafarianism.

Thanks,
Jeff
groundrush
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Man of Science on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:53 pm

It's certainly within her right to post signs, which is the way I voted. If she put up the sign specifically to offend you, putting up a sign of your own simply lowers you to her level. I would recommend you make a formal complaint to your neighborhood's group that forces them to remove the sign. It certainly destroys your home's value, and you can claim it offends you.
"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."

- Calvin (from Calvin & Hobbes)

Keel-haulin' Creationists from the Get-Go!
Man of Science
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby anthrobabe on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:37 am

Get some plywood and paint it- you could anchor it probably fairly easily with some re-bar type stakes.

but I do agree- it's her yard- but it is your yard too- so you can put your own sign up!

or go to the homeowners association

it would be very interesting to see if a flap happened over one sign and not another?
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:54 am

It's her right to do so - but also your right to put up your own sign.

Alternatively, try putting up the real 10 commandments:
http://www.brentrasmussen.com/log/node/39

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Happy Heretic on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:28 pm

Hmm... Douche move, but it would be equally douchey to go to the neighborhood association and demand it's removal. It's her right to display the sign, even if it's annoying. Just ignore her; nothing takes the wind out of a pretentious twat's sails like refusing to aknowledge her existance!
RAmen.
Happy Heretic
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Beef_cup_cake on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm pretty sure it's code somewhere that tattling is not cool. But ignoring her would be no fun at all.

I'm gonna have to agree with you that you should put up your own sign. Probably gonna have to make your own though. That's what I'd do. In fact, I may do that just for fun. I'm sure at some point someone will complain but when yours comes down, make sure hers does too.
Ignorance is bliss. And if it doesn't come naturally, it's hard work to remain this happy.
Beef_cup_cake
Ziti Zealot

Postby boghog on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:48 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:It's her right to do so - but also your right to put up your own sign.

Alternatively, try putting up the real 10 commandments:
http://www.brentrasmussen.com/log/node/39

Or the Beatitudes; they're way too left-wing for a proper Bible Believin' Republican, but since Jesus said 'em, your neighbor won't be able to complain.
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby fractal on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:50 am

I always liked this topic about signs for hugs.

Put up your own sign.
But send a message based in truth and kindness.
Spread The Weird >> Stack The Midgets | Whack A Pope
fractal
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Moral Minority on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:56 am

Blah. Since when is it douchey to sell out your beliefs? FSM Poster, brother.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

further

Postby jekka on Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:19 am

i think you should go even further, cover your entire lawn in posters and holy messages from the fsm, it'd piss 'em off, spread the word, and display that our religioun has the same right to express belief as any other religion (of course if you say that one to them im sure they wouldn't believe you, being so closed-minded as i assume they are), after all it is withing you rights :mrgreen: hooray for freedom of speech!!!
grab a fork, its pasta time!!!
jekka
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Return to The Cause