Help on preaching

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Help on preaching

Postby Thine Johnly on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:09 pm

So, I recently I was at the local shopping bazaar, when I ran into a couple of Christian street preachers. This greatly disturbed my friend Joe, and I. So we decided, hey, why dont we go apreachin' too?

there are many a pastafarians at our school, which all have said they would love to preach, but my problem is, I dont know how.

I tried getting the pamphlets off of the sticky, only to find the links dont work. Then I also dont know which topics to bring up, and how to defend them ( I am currently reading through the gospel, I should know how to soon)

any tips and tricks would be wonderful
Thine Johnly
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Jean Bart on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:39 pm

Most, if not all Christian preachers take themselves extremely serious. This makes them preach from a very "convinced" point of view: they have / know the Truth (mind the capital T!), and want other people to share it. FSM having "looser morals" and lots of humor, along with trying to keep religion out of science classes, doesn't have this capital T feeling. Pastafarians seek evidence, are attracted by science, and have a well developed sense of humour. Just try to imagine yourself preaching in the streets with that! Either you focus on the humour, and make it a stand up comedy show, either you try to explain people around what FSM is all about. I think you'll find FSM is more an Internet movement on one side, and a person-to-person thing on the other.
But, hey, I might be misunderestimating (I just love this word, and even more as it is the result of "accidental wit"!) the Pastafarians' creativity here!
:fsm_yarr:
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Season 2, Episode 2)
"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'eau de là" (Francis Blanche)
"Nu zijn er wel die mij niet mogen, of onverschillig langs mij gaan. Met liefde en met mededogen zie ik die vuile schoften aan! (Drs. P in "Jubelzang")
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens." (phrase attribuée à Arnaud Amaury, légat du Pape, à l'occasion de la prise de Béziers en 1209)
Jean Bart
Farfalle First Mate

Postby spifirebird on Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:54 am

Somewhere on YouTube I've found a video of a Pastafarian preacher, I can't find it now.
spifirebird
Conchigliette Convert

Postby ds5000 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:05 pm

just a tip... I try to carry around a copy of the pamphlets that introduce people to FSM.... (this mostly happens at busy intersections)... people would run down next to the cars waiting for the lights to change and give out pamphlets about their local church... I usually give them one back about FSM, as a comeback... I think you can probably do the same thing at shopping malls.
ds5000
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Cardinal Fang on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:25 pm

Tip 1: Decide why you're doing it and make sure you are confident of the facts to go with it
- if you're doing it as a way of supporting evolution over ID/ creationism, get familiar with the FSM creation story, and the Open letter. It works best if you enthusiastically "support" the teaching of supernatural explanations, but make the reasonable point that it's only fair to each ALL supernatural theories. Also point out that evolutionary theory ignores the fact that we share 99.9% of our DNA with pirates.
- if you're doing it to wind up evangelicals (my favourite) - get familiar with the "proof" that the FSM is the real spag-deity e.g. global warming and pirates (with the graph; don't forget to cite Halloween as proof of this theory as well!). I have a couple of split-pictures I use - one of a bacteria with lots of flagella next to the FSM (i.e. spot the similarity), a DNA spiral next to a fusilli pasta spiral. Follow on with the Pastafarian heaven (beer volcano, strippers) and hell (i.e. doesn't really exist), and that Pastafarianism has lax moral standards. Also go with the 30 day trial - they seem to really hate it. If you're feeling brave, get your audience joining in with a Pastafarian version of the Lord's prayer.

Tip 2: get a couple of mates as "plants" in the audience to ask questions, look interested etc. They can also provide backup in case your evangelicals get a bit wierd.

Tip 3: Work out what you're going to say in advance and rehearse it. Get your mates to grill you and ask awkward questions. Try and predict what you'll get from a hostile evangelical. Don't be defensive - if you're smiley and calm and they're all hostile and shouty, who's going to look the worst?

Tip 4: Have fun. Enjoy yourself. Most members of the public are a lot more willing to listen if you're relaxed, smiling and open. Don't be too serious - at the end of the day, FSM-ism is a spoof religion, so go with the joke. If your audience gets this, you'll have no problems with getting them to join in with stuff like "can I get a RAMEN!" etc

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Sarb on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:54 pm

Here's the video I think spifirebird was talking about. I think it's a pretty good reference =)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W1Uo5DQTtzc
Sarb
Conchigliette Convert

Return to The Cause