Pirate Marriages

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Pirate Marriages

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:11 am

Ahoy! I have a question.

If a pirate couple were to desire a traditional pirate marriage, would they necessarily need a captain to do a ceremony? What if a captain wants to marry his lover? Do they need another captain? This is all specifically about traditional pirate marriages, of course. Not all pirate marriages need to be traditional, but we don't want to rule out tradition if there's a way to do it without paying some official to give us instructions.

May you have the blessings of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, cheese be upon him. Yarr.
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:21 am

Ack! This question has been answered.

ok.

Find a wench you are in love with.

Find a Captain with a ship.

Board said ship.

Perform the socially accepted vows (do you, XX take XX to be your lawfully wedded so and so).

Imbibe copious amounts of rum/grog/beer/wine/sake.

Eat copious amounts of Pasta.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Re: Pirate Marriages

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:50 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Ahoy! I have a question.

If a pirate couple were to desire a traditional pirate marriage, would they necessarily need a captain to do a ceremony? What if a captain wants to marry his lover? Do they need another captain? This is all specifically about traditional pirate marriages, of course. Not all pirate marriages need to be traditional, but we don't want to rule out tradition if there's a way to do it without paying some official to give us instructions.

May you have the blessings of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, cheese be upon him. Yarr.

Yarr. Emphasis added. I haven't seen those questions asked. In other words, I was asking if there were alternative traditions to the method you posted. Don't get your knickers in a bunch, matey.
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby anthrobabe on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:33 pm

I'll "set you up" - marry you and you sweetie that is( I am an ordained person)

actually marriage laws vary state by state--- some states allow the couple themselves to solemnize their own marriage- so it could be possible for the captain to marry his/her self to someone (perform their own marriage ceremony)-- my first "stop" would be with the clerk of the court in your area. I'm talking USA here- I really have no idea about other nations.

not sure if we have actual pirate marriage rules in regards to FSM

hope that helps a bit
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:36 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:
Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Ahoy! I have a question.

Yarr. Emphasis added. I haven't seen those questions asked. In other words, I was asking if there were alternative traditions to the method you posted. Don't get your knickers in a bunch, matey.

I apologise.

1. you don't need a captain, but it wouldn't be too piratey, now would it.
2. You would need another captain, AFAIK.

'corse, these be more of guidelines really. :wink:
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:08 pm

Not a problem, me hearty.

Thank ye for the help. From a legal standpoint, o' course we would need a clerk or ordained person to make it official. I just don't see why it's necessary from a religious standpoint to have someone else officiate between those being wed and His Noodliness. It's sorta like a lot o' Protestant religions, where they disagree with Catholicism's need for an ordained priest to act like a divine telephone between the faithful and their deity. Still, they need a minister to actually make their marriage official from a religious standpoint. I don't see why all religions should need to have something similar, especially if we all be equal beneath the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Hypothetically, the legal bits with the clerk and the religious parts could be done separately. There are plenty o' rituals a couple could do to declare their partnership, even if it ain't strictly traditional ones. Do we really need to be told when to exchange vows?

O' course, me darlin' and I ain't marryin' any time soon. Can't hurt to think about it ahead o' time, though. Maybe we will go for a traditional-type wedding, maybe not. We'll figure it out eventually, aarrgh.
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:43 am

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Not a problem, me hearty.

Thank ye for the help. From a legal standpoint, o' course we would need a clerk or ordained person to make it official. I just don't see why it's necessary from a religious standpoint to have someone else officiate between those being wed and His Noodliness. It's sorta like a lot o' Protestant religions, where they disagree with Catholicism's need for an ordained priest to act like a divine telephone between the faithful and their deity. Still, they need a minister to actually make their marriage official from a religious standpoint. I don't see why all religions should need to have something similar, especially if we all be equal beneath the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Hypothetically, the legal bits with the clerk and the religious parts could be done separately. There are plenty o' rituals a couple could do to declare their partnership, even if it ain't strictly traditional ones. Do we really need to be told when to exchange vows?

O' course, me darlin' and I ain't marryin' any time soon. Can't hurt to think about it ahead o' time, though. Maybe we will go for a traditional-type wedding, maybe not. We'll figure it out eventually, aarrgh.

The captain thing is just for the pirate atmosphere...All you really need is a mariage certificate, and beer.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby STLstrike3 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:56 pm

Can my wench be the same sex as me?
STLstrike3
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:59 pm

No. "Wench" means "girl".

But feel free to marry whomever you choose.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby STLstrike3 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:02 pm

So can I marry a man-wench?
STLstrike3
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Beardyoldblaggard on Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:57 pm

So far as I'm concerned you can marry two man-wenches (good term, well coined), or even one of each (which can be fun). :wink:
Beardyoldblaggard
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Mean Man on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:53 am

So a pirate may have more than one wife? :o
I SAW THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER IN A GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH!!!
Mean Man
Conchigliette Convert

Postby pumpkinhead on Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:56 pm

It doesn't speicify, but I'm guessing probably not.
pumpkinhead
Ziti Zealot

Postby ChowMein on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:23 pm

YARRR!

Wot ye gits goan on abowt...uh git meself mARRied a few tymes a munf at Fifi's....alla need izza few gold coins.....
Quote :" ARRR! GAGAGAGA ! , ...de sailin' loife fer me. ARR! GAGAGAGAGa....arr gagaga.....a...". (Popeye The Sailor)
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby evilbelgian on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:52 am

It's not in the 12 suggestions so i must say that assuming both wives are consenting to this it is okay. And ofcourse if a man may have multiple wives then a woman should be allowed to have multiple husbands.
Praise Be to His Noodlyness

The Humble Servant Evilbelgian has spoken
evilbelgian
Ziti Zealot

Next

Return to Scripture and Lore