Song of Ice and Fire and other fantasy series.

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Song of Ice and Fire and other fantasy series.

Postby t3h.Dr0w on Fri May 05, 2006 5:43 pm

I am an avid reader to put it lightly. I complete anywhere form 1-3 novels in a school week.

I read primarily fantasy books and series, but i also read alot of sci-fi and the occasional other-thing.

I think my all-time favorite book series is A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Maritn. If anybody else has read this series, say so, since i realy like ranting about my books.

I also enjoy Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth books, Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy (and related books by her), Anne McCaffrey's Pern books, Merrion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover books, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, Stephen King's Dark Tower, and many others.

ok, im writing this in Tech class at school and the bell just rang, so im going to end this post NOW
t3h.Dr0w
Conchigliette Convert

Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distingu****ng feature

Re: Song of Ice and Fire and other fantasy series.

Postby Nada on Sun May 14, 2006 2:28 pm

I really like all three trilogies by Robin Hobb (Farseer, The Liveship Traders and The Tawny Man).

t3h.Dr0w wrote:I think my all-time favorite book series is A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Maritn. If anybody else has read this series, say so, since i realy like ranting about my books.

Oh FSM, yes. I'm currently rereading A Feast for Crows. Coincidentally, I'm quite a regular poster over at the ASOIAF board. I'm amazed at how GRRM manages to create so many interesting characters... Jaqen H'ghar, Tyrion, Bronn, Cersei, Sandor and Gregor, etc. Do you have any favorite characters?
Nada
Ziti Zealot

Postby alexrose on Sun May 14, 2006 8:52 pm

Jaime and Arya are definitely my favourites.
Jon used to be in the earlier books...but then it got boring. I was so disappointed that in A Feast for Crows we didn't hear anything from him.

It's definitely an awesome series. Unlike some series (*cough*Wheel of Time*cough*), the author seems to know exactly what he's doing...The plot seems really well laid out. I hope he follows through.
alexrose
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Finrod on Wed May 24, 2006 1:49 pm

One of my all time favorites, The Elric Series, is being made into a movie. Just worried they'll do a half-baked job on it and it will suck. Had the same worry about LOTR so hopefully I'm just needlessly worrying.
Finrod
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Rainswept on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:43 am

Is everyone aware they are making a TV series out of this? It's my favorite fantasy series as well.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Calena on Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:58 pm

Oh an interessting but nearly dead thread. A pity, I would have liked to talk about The Dark Tower and Darkover.
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby guy_incognito on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 am

Fire and Ice is a great Fantasy series.

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is quite good too. First book is The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams.

And apparently the Wheel of Time series is gonna be finished, Robert Jordans wife and son are gonna assemble and finish writing the final book.
guy_incognito
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Rainswept on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:51 am

guy_incognito wrote:Fire and Ice is a great Fantasy series.

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is quite good too. First book is The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams.

And apparently the Wheel of Time series is gonna be finished, Robert Jordans wife and son are gonna assemble and finish writing the final book.

I've read all these. SoIF is my favorite.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Rainswept on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:18 pm

I stumbled across a personality test for A Song of Ice and Fire. I dunno where they get off labeling me selfless, but other than that it was a fun test:

You are Robb Stark.

You are a strong person. You are able to take on enormous amounts of responsibility with little complaint. You always do the right thing, though you sometimes have difficulty understanding the fact that most other people don't. There is little that you fear. You are very confident in yourself and you have some serious athletic skills going on. Though confident, you are also extremely altruistic and are willing to make great sacrifices for what you believe is right. You are honorable, brave, and selfless.

You are also similar to Eddard Stark and Oberyn Martell. Your polar opposite is Theon Greyjoy.

Rainswept

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:33 pm

Rainswept wrote:You are a strong person. You are able to take on enormous amounts of responsibility with little complaint. You always do the right thing, though you sometimes have difficulty understanding the fact that most other people don't. There is little that you fear. You are very confident in yourself and you have some serious athletic skills going on. Though confident, you are also extremely altruistic and are willing to make great sacrifices for what you believe is right. You are honorable, brave, and selfless.

Can't. Stop. Laughing.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Capellini on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:28 pm

Oh my god we can NOT talk about ASOIAF, I am so totally obsessed already, if I am given another outlet for my obsession, we may all descend into madness.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:16 am

Ok, when I said we can't talk about this, I didn't actually mean you CAN'T talk about it.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:16 pm

Har har har .

A Song of Fire and Ice , oi havint got rownd to thet wun yit , wot be thee plot ?
Oi reed a bit abowt it in " Legends " oi fink
Oi be trying ta fine thee last two books of Dark Tower , so oi aint be pickin up a nuu seerys yit .
Matey , sins ye loike sf/fansy sew mulch , ye shuld reed thee " Legends " , des coleckshun will espose ye ta sum of thee finest roightarrs in the field and their award winning storys . ARGH !
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Rainswept on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:33 pm

Mad Willyum Bonney wrote:Oi reed a bit abowt it in " Legends " ..., ye shuld reed thee " Legends "

Legends is awesome. Great place to find some really excellent writers, and learn a bit about their worlds and style, without taking anything from the main story.

I do warn people that the Alvin Maker stuff is NOT Orson Scott Card's best work, stick to his sci-fi.
Rainswept

Postby Capellini on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:33 pm

Mad Willyum Bonney wrote:Har har har .

A Song of Fire and Ice , oi havint got rownd to thet wun yit , wot be thee plot ?
Oi reed a bit abowt it in " Legends " oi fink
Oi be trying ta fine thee last two books of Dark Tower , so oi aint be pickin up a nuu seerys yit .
Matey , sins ye loike sf/fansy sew mulch , ye shuld reed thee " Legends " , des coleckshun will espose ye ta sum of thee finest roightarrs in the field and their award winning storys . ARGH !

Don't read the last two books of the Dark Tower series, it all went downhill after book 4 anyway.

ASOIAF is a fantasy series set in an alternate medieval type environment, knights and kings and castles and dragons, plus treason, incest, king slaying, patricide, rape, murder, poison, infidelity, war, jousting, kidnapping and all the other stuff that made that time period so much fun. Oh, and there are zombies.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors