Which was better? The book or the movie?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby Clifford on Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:15 am

Someone mentioned Dune up there. I wouldn't mind having a go at making a movie of it myself. It's an amazing book and unfortunately David Lynch seemed to screw it up a bit.

As for LOTR the book is always the best!
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby flux on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:21 am

The film Enduring Love is just crap. The characters in the book were poorly represented in the film. People who haven't read the book found it difficult to follow the film even though it didn't stick all that close to the plot.
flux
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Calena on Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:34 am

Frankly I'm not sure if I would have made it through the 100 or so pages of the description of The Shire, if LOTR wasn't so famous. But I was convinced that it had to get better and it did.
The movies did a good job capturing the atmosphere of the book (Smeagol was really annoying for example) and I was very relieved they didn't screw it up completley. I think it's ok that people who would never read the books for whatever reason now can know the basic storyline too, cause it's a real good story and the base for all fantasy.
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Clifford on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:20 am

I'm undecided over Harry Potter. I hate both books and films, but I hate the films more, so I say the books are better :)
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Rainswept on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:21 am

What's to hate about Harry Potter? Finally a series that's both entertaining and teaches kids to do what they know to be right, surround themselves with good people who think the way they do, and rely on theirselves to solve problems. I think they have a lot to offer.

The books are a bit too big for the movies to be able to fully adapt them, so I have to give the edge to the books. The movies aren't bad tho, and the casting of the main 3 kids was well done.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby guy_incognito on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:18 am

Fight Club. Both book and film are great, though I enjoyed the film a bit more.
guy_incognito
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors