Which was better? The book or the movie?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Which was better? The book or the movie?

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:59 pm

Any book that was made into a movie. Or any movie that was made into a book.

WARNING: SPOILERS MAY APPEAR BEYOND THIS POINT!

Please be kind and don't spoil the big stuff.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rainswept on Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:30 pm

Silence of the Lambs was almost exactly like the book, which is a big part of the reason it made such a fantastic movie.

My vote for worst adaptation of a decent book goes to Battlefield Earth.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:43 pm

Eragon. Don't even bother with the movie..
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby EarthRise on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:08 pm

Lord of the Rings? Pretty good, but considering the standard set by the book, any movie is destined to fail against it.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby guy_incognito on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:12 pm

Dune.

The book was good, the film had great effects and tried hard, but there is too much to fit into a 2 hour film.
guy_incognito
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Rainswept on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:15 pm

Earthrise wrote:Lord of the Rings? Pretty good, but considering the standard set by the book, any movie is destined to fail against it.

I don't entirely agree with that, actually. As good as those books are, a huge portion of their brilliance comes from the innovation and originality they brought, the story itself wouldn't be considered nearly as brilliant if it were written today. That doesn't take anything away from how unique and special the books are, because probably 95% or more of fantasy novels & movies both are influenced at least indirectly by LoTR. They also have the insane level of detail especially with the languages, that might never be duplicated by a single author.

The movies were not only visual masterpieces, but were far more accessible than the books will ever be. Those books are very long-winded and slow moving and they aren't going to suck in mainstream readers in the way the movies do. The movies also did a pretty damn good job with casting, and even had some moments of good acting.

While the movies can't compare with the legend, the decades of cult fanaticism, and the incalculable influence in creating the entire genre, I think they do a pretty damn good job of bringing the most important aspects of the story together, illustrating it magnificently, and achieving the most important thing, which is making the story fun to watch.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Rainswept on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:18 pm

guy_incognito wrote:Dune.

The book was good, the film had great effects and tried hard, but there is too much to fit into a 2 hour film.

I liked the later remake of Dune better than the original. It stayed much closer to the book, and didn't have Patrick Stewart in a mullet.
Rainswept

Postby Zoidberg on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:21 pm

Children of Men, it's the only movie adaption I've seen that's actually better than the book.
Zoidberg
Ziti Zealot

Postby The Black Spot on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:07 pm

Jaws. Rotten book.

I would have included "Duel", but that was a short story so it doesn't really count.
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:10 pm

The Princess Bride is a hard one to call. The movie was brilliant, but the book was equally brilliant.

But, I liked the book better than the movie, if only by the slightest margin.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby EarthRise on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:46 pm

Jackass didn't represent its book very well.

I mean, On the Origin of Species says the most unfit should be dying out, not running around like chickens lacking heads.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby Rainswept on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:58 pm

That's why there's the second adaptation of it. The Darwin Awards.
Rainswept

Rabbits

Postby black bart on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:34 am

Watership Down...Crap Book and a Crap film...bein a bit harsh, I enjoyed it when I was about 11...it's a good attempt at making rabbits exciting.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Calena on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 am

I actually liked Watership Down, read it not so long ago.
As a kid a saw the film, the big black rabbit gave me nightmares. My parents thought it was a nice cute bunny film for kids, but turned out, it wasn't. So reading the book as an adult and working off my trauma probably saved me from needing therapy. :)
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Rainswept on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:21 am

Bridge to Terabithia was a better book than either of the movies made about it, but the latest movie was advertised in a completely misleading way, which sucked.

They made it look like it was a fantasy film like Harry Potter, but not as good. IMO, this actually made fewer people see the movie because people who liked the book assumed they screwed up the movie and didn't go (why I waited for the DVD), people who never read the book assumed it was a crappy fantasy and didn't go, or went, realized it wasn't a fantasy at all, and left mad.
Rainswept

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors