One in four adult Americans did not read a book last year

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

One in four adult Americans did not read a book last year

Postby Grim Squeaker on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:38 am

By ALAN FRAM, Associated Press Writer
Tue Aug 21, 7:01 PM ET

WASHINGTON - There it sits on your night stand, that book you've meant to read for who knows how long but haven't yet cracked open. Tonight, as you feel its stare from beneath that teetering pile of magazines, know one thing — you are not alone.

One in four adults read no books at all in the past year, according to an Associated Press-Ipsos poll released Tuesday. Of those who did read, women and older people were most avid, and religious works and popular fiction were the top choices.

The survey reveals a nation whose book readers, on the whole, can hardly be called ravenous. The typical person claimed to have read four books in the last year — half read more and half read fewer. Excluding those who hadn't read any, the usual number read was seven.

Read on: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070821/ap_ ... ts_ap_poll

As someone who reads well over 100 books a year (admittedly including a few rereads of the same book), I find this somewhat shocking...
I guess this also explains why so many Americans do not believe in our noodly deity :(
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.â€￾
Stephen Roberts
Grim Squeaker
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby PastaPirate on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:56 am

I used to read so much when I was younger. These days I don't read as much as I should... /sigh
Fighting to defend the Constiution from the rise of the Religious right.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We're nothing like God. Not only are our powers limited, sometimes we're driven to be the devil himself.
PastaPirate
Ziti Zealot

Postby Rainswept on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:24 am

I go through phases. Sometimes I read a ton, sometimes I watch a ton of movies, sometimes I'll rent entire runs of a TV show and watch them episode by episode.

Lately I haven't been on as much of a reading kick, but I've still knocked down I'd say 20 or so books this year so far.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:57 am

Doesn't surprise me.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Vulcan Tofu on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:47 pm

Admittedly, I'm not as prolific a reader as I was years ago. But that's just scary. I can only wonder: do they take the fact that they didn't read last year at all with pride?
Bother, bother, bother...
Vulcan Tofu
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Taidje Khan on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:12 pm

I go through a ridiculous amount of books each year, and I have at least ten thousand in my house at any given point. Now I know why: I have to pick up your slack! You lousy bums, you should be ashamed!
R.I.P. George Carlin

FSMMA record: 19-4-0

"My head is bloodied, but unbowed."
Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Land Shark on Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:50 pm

Wow. It's not surprising, but it is sad.

I went to the library today, and picked up five books from the YA Classics section. I would have gotten more, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to renew some of these books. Kafka, Shakespeare (two), Stevenson, and Twain.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -Edgar Allan Poe
Land Shark
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Twain

Postby black bart on Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:22 am

Twain...wasn't it he who wrote: "Moon river"?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:21 am

No no, she is the sexy country singer I used to watch videos of with the mute function on. (I'm not a country fan)
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Twain

Postby black bart on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:04 am

Ahha...is she still going in the singing business?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:58 am

Well, I must say that i'm glad that I live in Australia. A lot of people read books here. But i don't know everybody.
I myself read books by the truckload. I have two bookcases, they're both full, i've read them all, and I've had to pile them on the floor. I have over 1000 books, I'd say.
:worship: :worship: :worship: :fsm:
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby The Rabid Baby on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:08 pm

*looks at bookshelf in room*

Errr....i think i got through the entire terry pratchett discworld series plus numerous other books and rereads in under a year. Does this make me unusual :? I'm glad I live in britain.....

And im currently reading the bible. Its huge - does it count as 3 books? :D
The Rabid Baby
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Ziggy on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:12 pm

I thought about reading that, but I decided that the Lord of the Rings trilogy was more interesting.
I ♥ mrgreen :mrgreen:
Ziggy
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Red Headed Brainiac on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:59 pm

Funny so many people that are voracious readers are on this site ....

I read 80 or so books a year from technical books (I'm an engineer) to Steven Erikson to the classics ....... sometimes I have several in progress at a time. Fortunately, my daughter is also a reader - she is into the FlinX Sci Fi books right now, and I hope she will enjoy reading some of the 3500 or so books I have.

My mind starts spinning in circles if I can't occupy it with books...... :fsm_float:
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from the minds profound--if I can remember any of the damn things". --Dorothy Parker

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - -Isaac Asimov
Red Headed Brainiac
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Rainswept on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:36 pm

Red Headed Brainiac wrote:Funny so many people that are voracious readers are on this site ....

Not really. This site is found by people who care about quality of education, I think that ties in on many many levels with a love of learning, and by extension, reading.
Rainswept

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors