Firefly/Serenity Fans?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby PastaPirate on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:45 am

Definitely Spike. He seems to have a better concept of "Live Through" as opposed to Angel who can't seem to get over is guilt.
Fighting to defend the Constiution from the rise of the Religious right.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We're nothing like God. Not only are our powers limited, sometimes we're driven to be the devil himself.
PastaPirate
Ziti Zealot

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:14 am

Spike. Even when he gets his soul, he's less emo than Angel.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rainswept on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:16 am

Oh no he's not. He put on more of a tough guy face, but Angel isn't the one who pined over Buffy to the point of creating a robot version. What's even sadder is he was even more obsessive & needy over Dru. Spike's pathetic.

The only reason so many people like Spike is that James is a better actor than David. I still give David props for picking better shows tho, Bones is very entertaining and the last I saw of James he was doing a made for TV movie.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Calena on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:28 am

Angel looks way better. :)
No seriously, I like Spike's "rebel attitude" (remember when he called the "annoited one" - season 2 I think - the "annoying one" and pulled him into the sunlight. You got to love him for things like that.
I never really believed that Spike wanted to have his soul back. It was necessary for the story to continue as it did, but can a vampire without a soul, even if he has some hi-tech chip implanted instead, love that much? I don't think so.
Angel is the adult and responsible one. Sure he's forever brooding, but only because he's so noble :)

Do you think Spike and Angel got their "original" souls back? Because when you compare their "vamp with soul" behaviour to their "human with soul" behaviour it strikes me that both of them were really sorry excuses for men while they were alive. So if they got their original souls, did all that slaughtering they did as vampires turn those soul into noble hero-souls?

What do you think about Riley? I think he was quite lame and not worthy of Buffy.

And do you think we should start a Buffy/Angel thread before we get severly reprimanded for beeing completley off topic here?
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Rainswept on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:01 am

Calena wrote:What do you think about Riley? I think he was quite lame and not worthy of Buffy.

And do you think we should start a Buffy/Angel thread before we get severly reprimanded for beeing completley off topic here?

Riley completely sucked. Too boring, came too soon for Buffy, making him feel like a crappy replacement and rebound guy. I don't think he was ever intended to be liked.

Nah, if you're talking about Firefly, you're talking about Whedon in general, I say. Querty might as well change the title of the thread ;-)

As for looks, I'm always attracted to the brainy girls like Fred, and how willow was before she went Goth and Gay. I still say Darla has the sexiest voice ever.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:26 pm

You should all watch Yu-Gi-Oh the abridged Series episode 12, and then explain it to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg4TrFZYJq0

The joke is near the end.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Calena on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:26 pm

Rowan Redbeard wrote:Spike. Even when he gets his soul, he's less emo than Angel.

Consider this: The poor guy can never have sex with a woman he truly loves.
Also unlike Spike, he's been paying his dues for decades.

Riley completely sucked. Too boring, came too soon for Buffy, making him feel like a crappy replacement and rebound guy. I don't think he was ever intended to be liked.

Or was he written out because no one liked him? I met one guy who liked Riley, but his argument was that he liked it that Buffy had a non-vampire boyfriend for a change.

@ Zankou:

Well, I'd like to punch the guy who decided to cancel Firefly. Maybe the creators of this fine little clip feel the same way.
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby RandomSam on Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:22 pm

This thread is a lot like Firefly. It died ages ago, but I can't let it lie...
Have fun,
--RandomSam.
Damn... my old sig broke...
RandomSam
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby TalkingBull on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:59 pm

Firefly has been added to the ever-growing list of television shows that have been cancelled before I was willing to allow it.

Some others:

Futurama (It's coming back)
Family Guy (It's back)
Quantum Leap
Fastlane

I was pissed off when they not only cancelled Firefly, but didn't sell it to Sci Fi. What a great show to sell to the Sci-Fi network. I mean, seriously!
I am a legally ordained Minister of the Church of the flying Spaghetti Monster and YES, my Dog Tags do in fact have Pastafarian as my "Religious Preference."

Check out my new Pirate-themed card game HERE!
TalkingBull
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Rainswept on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:28 pm

Veronica Mars should certainly be on that list.
Rainswept

Re: Firefly/Serenity Fans?

Postby Valanthe on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:20 am

I hadn't even heard about Firefly until I heard about (and went to see) Serenity. WOW! :worship: the Firefly-class vessel and its crew. I now own the series on DVD, but I'm having trouble finding time to watch it :( I ran across a t-shirt at a convention that said "How much Serenity crap do I have to buy before there's a sequel?" I wish I'd bought it now. If there's anyone out there who knits or knows someone who does, google "illusion knitting" to turn up a site with links to patterns that include a Serenity scarf. I downloaded the .pdf and fully intend to start on it once I finish my current works in progress.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Ubi Dubium on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:16 am

IMDB has all the episodes up now for instant watching, so I recently had a chance to watch them all. Wonderful show. I need to watch the movie now!

So, talking about Josh, I hope most of you have watched Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog?
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby GreenRain22 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:02 pm

Jaynestown and Our Mrs. Reynolds are my two favorites. Wash is my all time favorite character.

Firefly pwns!
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today

(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain

Postby lordpunkmonk on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:43 pm

I really need to see serenity because they gave me a free shirt when I was 11 or 12 and I wear it still and it is awkward when people ask about it.
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321
lordpunkmonk
Shaman of Ramen

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:45 pm

...When you were 11 or 12...? Damn, I feel old.

And precisely why haven't you seen it?
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors