Firefly/Serenity Fans?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby FireFox on Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:16 am

oh, me.
one of the best series ever in any format.
I think I have added about 10 people to the fan base. the only problem is you have a 2 week period with no DVDs for it.

I am fond of Simon, completely out of his depth, except very selectively then he just walks through it (Jane post Arial).
Book is also great 'the special hell' line, shows a certain moral stand I like. and he is a preacher I could respect

I am actively hunting for a Serenity bandana at the moment, it would be a very nice contrast to my green paua doo rag that I wear at the moment.

S
FireFox
Stele Second Mate

Postby Duke on Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:02 pm

I wouldn't say I'm part of the fanbase, I might be if I were a bigger TV person.

I am only part of one TV fanbase, and that's Monty Python.

But Firefly was great, and maybe if I find someone to nerd out about it with, I might join the fan base. :wink: :)

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Swatopluk on Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:41 pm

I heard of the movie first (read about it in a movie magazine), then watched in in the cinema. The ticket could be sent in to receive a 5€ refund on the DVD boxset of the series (i.e. more than the ticket had cost me). Therefore, I bought the DVDs immediately afterwards (and at an extra 5€ below the normal retail price too :D ).

Difficult to pick a favorite character (one could pick one per episode).
I actually found Objects in Space one of the best (had also the best music, I think). Jubal Early would make my list of favorite villains.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby Rainswept on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:30 pm

Excellent TV series and movie.

They had me from the day Mal kicked the badguy out to be sucked into the engine, and won my heart forever with the line "Going on a year now I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers that weren't run on batteries."

That's just good dialoge there.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:32 pm

This was mentioned in YGO: TAS...other than that, I really don't care :D

*leaving now*
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 am

:worship: Whedon
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Calena on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:26 pm

We went to watch Serenity in the cinemas when it came out, but simply because there was nothing else we where interessted in and we thought a sci-fi movie can't be that bad. Never heard from Firefly before. But much to my surprise I really liked the movie, though I thought many things were left unexplainend and there should be made a series of it. I posted that in a forum and was told that the series actually existed (I could give you the link, but you wouldn't understand it as it's in German). But until now I never got round to watching it, I've just finished the pilot and it won't take me long finsih the whole (really short) series.
Mal is even cooler than Han Solo and I love the Western score.

Josh Whedon definitley rules!
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Calena on Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:26 am

I watched episode 7 "Jaynestown" yesterday. While the Ballad of Jayne Cobb certainly is hilarious what I really liked was how River "fixed" the Bible because "it's broken, it's full of contradicitions". :)
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby RandomSam on Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:25 am

No, this must be what going mad feels like....
Have fun,
--RandomSam.
Damn... my old sig broke...
RandomSam
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Rainswept on Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:07 am

Calena wrote:Mal is even cooler than Han Solo

Oh now that's a good point, but if you think muslims are touchy about Mohammed, you haven't seen how this comment might be taken by some SW fans!
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Calena on Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:51 am

Rainswept wrote:
Calena wrote:Mal is even cooler than Han Solo

Oh now that's a good point, but if you think muslims are touchy about Mohammed, you haven't seen how this comment might be taken by some SW fans!

Acutally I AM a Star Wars Fan, and I'm a very big Han Solo (see my sig) fan, too. But Mal does definitly shoot first, which makes him that much cooler. 8)
But you're right, there are fundamental SW-Fans.

I read somewhere on the net, that Joss Whedon said that he based Serenity on the idea what SW would be like, if Han was the main character. I think that worked out pretty well.
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Calena on Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:11 am

Most memorable quote from "Trash":
Mal to Inara: "How about I stay out of your whoring, you keep out of my thieving" :D
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Duke on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:17 pm

Alan Tudyk, the guy who played Wash, is in Death At A Funeral, and he was very liked, the reviewer I read was saying he was the best part of the film. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm planning on it.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby PastaPirate on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:24 am

Count me as aonther fan of Whedon here. I've got Serenity, Firefly, and Buffy on DVD, and working towards getting Angel.
Fighting to defend the Constiution from the rise of the Religious right.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We're nothing like God. Not only are our powers limited, sometimes we're driven to be the devil himself.
PastaPirate
Ziti Zealot

Postby Calena on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:33 am

Glad to meet another Browncoat/ member of the Scooby gang. :)
Who do you like best, Spike or Angel?
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors