Would somebody mind answering a few questions?

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby EarthRise on Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:57 pm

boghog wrote:
EarthRise wrote:Nah. Adherents of a religion are created through the following of the deity (regardless of if the belief of divinity is maintained or not), and the appreciation of the truth in what the deity speaks. Methinks Pastafarians have the explicit responsibility of being two-faced believers in the FSM.

Traditionally, when a group of believers have one set of teachings that they share with the world at large and another set of teachings, beliefs or rites that they only share within an inner circle, it was called a "mystery religion".

The term sounds much nicer than "two-faced". :wink:

Yeeeeah, but I like being blunt :D .
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Postby Deck Hand Sharkchum on Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:56 pm

EarthRise wrote:
Deck Hand Sharkchum wrote:
EarthRise wrote:Negative. In all other religions, the adherents actually believe in the principles of the religion.

Ok, so I'm responding to an old reply (sue me, I'm poor).
When I think of the principles of FSM I think of the 8 I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts. I must say that in general I actually believe in these psuedo-commandments. So if believing in these principles does that make me an adherant to this belief as a religion?

Edited for computer & general illiteracy

Might one be made a Christian simply because he believes in several of the principles that Jesus stressed in His sermons?

Nah. Adherents of a religion are created through the following of the deity (regardless of if the belief of divinity is maintained or not), and the appreciation of the truth in what the deity speaks. Methinks Pastafarians have the explicit responsibility of being two-faced believers in the FSM.

You know what I hate about these forums so far?
It's a veritable cornucopia of intelligent responses
No, wait, I like that...
:fsm_rock:
Deck Hand Sharkchum
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Sheylara on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:07 pm

omfsm this thread is so funny i couldn't stop laughing while reading through it, especially in the first 2 pages of debate between EarthRise and jdogmoney and blackeyedbutch. You guys rock. 8)

I don't know if some of you guys are actually serious when you claim that FSMism is more than just a parody born of a protest. I'd like to believe that you're just playing along because it's too darned funny.

Honestly. Do you go to bed every night saying a prayer to the FSM? Do you feel inclined to get down on your knees and sing praises to the FSM when you're presented with a plate of spaghetti and meatballs?

If you do, then I grant that FSM is a true religion for you and may you be touched by His Noodly Appendage, RAmen.
Sheylara
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:05 pm

Why would the FSM want everybody to pray to Him every night? He's got better things to do than to listen to all of us jabbering at Him, asking Him to bend the world to our will.

Just appreciating life and believing in Him is all the prayer He needs. If you're really wanting to pray, you can always start it up with a "Hey, FSM. Thanks. You rock!"

Anything beyond that is more for the benefit of saying it to remind ourselves what we believe than to specifically ask for His intervention in something, or to ask Him to take our souls if we die in our sleep.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Dan(da haole guy) on Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:10 pm

Aloha..RR-i thought Zankou 2.0 took our souls if we died in our sleep..
KAULANA NA PUA A'O FSM..HANO HANO..FSM NO KA OI..
Dan(da haole guy)
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:21 pm

Nah, Zankou only takes them if we fall asleep at the mouse.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:26 pm

Actually, I only take them when youClick here.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:38 pm

If I clicked there, I would have to be asleep at the mouse.

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Sheylara on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:41 pm

Rowan Redbeard wrote:Why would the FSM want everybody to pray to Him every night? He's got better things to do than to listen to all of us jabbering at Him, asking Him to bend the world to our will.

Just appreciating life and believing in Him is all the prayer He needs. If you're really wanting to pray, you can always start it up with a "Hey, FSM. Thanks. You rock!"

Anything beyond that is more for the benefit of saying it to remind ourselves what we believe than to specifically ask for His intervention in something, or to ask Him to take our souls if we die in our sleep.

Actually, I am of the opinion that people pray to deities more for themselves than for the deities. The reason a religion is successful is because people like knowing there's a supernatural being out there that listens to their woes and actually grants their wishes.

Pastafarians don't pray to the FSM because we don't really believe that the FSM is actually there to listen to our jabberings. Therefore it's not like a real religion. That's my point, really.

I mean, religion-wise, other than the promise of a beer volcano and stripper factory in an afterlife, what else does the FSM offer its devotees?

But I do think if there were really a flying clump of spaghetti out there granting prayers, that would be way cool. :D
Sheylara

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:59 pm

Sheylara wrote:I mean, religion-wise, other than the promise of a beer volcano and stripper factory in an afterlife, what else does the FSM offer its devotees?

Tolerance. Noodly goodness. Entertainment. Humor. Flimsy moral standards. Fridays off. Complete lack of bloodspilling holy wars. An explanation for the things that ID and Evolution can't explain.

Besides, it shouldn't matter that there are some (unfortunate) members of our church who don't truly believe in the FSM. If Catholicism can count Catholics by baptisms instead of active practitioners, we can count by the number of people who have spilled sauce on their shirts.

On a side note, if you were baptised Roman Catholic and do not want the church to count you, you need to get excommunicated. Here's how: http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/excommunication.htm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby MPTrooper on Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:57 am

Rowan Redbeard wrote:
Sheylara wrote:I mean, religion-wise, other than the promise of a beer volcano and stripper factory in an afterlife, what else does the FSM offer its devotees?

Tolerance. Noodly goodness. Entertainment. Humor. Flimsy moral standards. Fridays off. Complete lack of bloodspilling holy wars. An explanation for the things that ID and Evolution can't explain.

Besides, it shouldn't matter that there are some (unfortunate) members of our church who don't truly believe in the FSM. If Catholicism can count Catholics by baptisms instead of active practitioners, we can count by the number of people who have spilled sauce on their shirts.

On a side note, if you were baptised Roman Catholic and do not want the church to count you, you need to get excommunicated. Here's how: http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/excommunication.htm

I have to say that website is amusing. Especially the parts were they call us Homophobes, antidemocratic, authoritarian and intolerant and a host of other things.

It would be nice if these people would do some research on the real beliefs, dogmas, teachings, and practices instead of relying on outright lies, misinformation and half truths to attack us.

Indeed the website is so filled with loathing and hatred against what they think the Catholic Church is that I think it speaks negatively against Atheist and paints them as short tempered emo bastards with an axe to grind.

But hey, like everything else in this world that's my opinion...
MPTrooper

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:37 am

It is all viewpoint. I collect knives and swords because I think they are beautiful. I get together with a group of people and we bash at each other with padded fake swords. Other people may think that it is wrong because it promotes ideas of violence.

To some people, the official positions of the Catholic Church on these subjects do take stands that could be considered "intolerant of X". These positions are not necesarily those of individual Catholics. One must also remember that these positions are being interpreted through people who already have a dislike for Catholicism (or an axe to grind).

However, I can say that a fair majority of the outspoken Christians I have known (by which I mean outspoken about their Christianity) hold viewpoints that I find morally offensive about just these topics. (I'm sure they find my viewpoints equally offensive.)

The problem is, we mainly hear about these issues from the vocally religious, who, in my experience, are often very conservative and exhibit those same traits as the Catholic Church is being accused of.

The problem is, we mainly hear about atheism from from the vocally anti-religious, who, in my experience (at least outside this forum), are often very liberal and exhibit amazing intolerance for religions that preach love and tolerance.

Think I stuck enough qualifiers in there? Whew.

Mainly, I think that a person who was baptized Catholic, but no longer believes, should be able to leave the Catholic Church and be removed from the membership list just by asking. I wish I had read the web page more thoroughly, for I do see the hardcore atheistic dogma shining through.

Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Sheylara on Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:01 am

Rowan Redbeard wrote:Tolerance. Noodly goodness. Entertainment. Humor. Flimsy moral standards. Fridays off. Complete lack of bloodspilling holy wars. An explanation for the things that ID and Evolution can't explain.

But you don't really have to believe in the FSM to enjoy all these things. I mean, you don't need divine intervention for these things to happen. :P

Anyway, the current discussion on Roman Catholics is way beyond me. I prefer to stay away from overly dogmatic people because they twist everything to suit their beliefs and refuse to debate logically. It's annoying, so I'm not reading that link. :D

On the other hand, I like discussing FSM issues because devout Pastafarians are sensible and don't try to shove their dogma down your throat. 8)
Sheylara

Postby Calena on Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:34 am

I have to say that website is amusing. Especially the parts were they call us Homophobes, antidemocratic, authoritarian and intolerant and a host of other things.

It would be nice if these people would do some research on the real beliefs, dogmas, teachings, and practices instead of relying on outright lies, misinformation and half truths to attack us.

I was raised as a Roman Catholic and still am officially a member, but only because it would break my mum`s heart if I left.
My point is I know what I´m speaking of when I criticise the Catholic Church. How anybody can deny that the Pope and his lot are "Homophobes, antidemocratic, authoritarian and intolerant and a host of other things" is beyond me. The official viewpoints of the Vatican are just that. Granted, there are some liberal movements among the Catholics, but that`s not the official viewpoint. The Pope has just reinstated holy mass in Latin. How liberal is that? (Not that I'm truly against it, I'd actually love to hear spoken Latin so if our local priest would hold a mass in Latin I'd go and hear it once. :) )
Ambrose Biercedefines the verb "to pray": "to ask that the laws of the universe be anulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy"
http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/greedo.html
Calena
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:42 am

MPTrooper wrote:I have to say that website is amusing. Especially the parts were they call us Homophobes, antidemocratic, authoritarian and intolerant and a host of other things.

MPT, you know very well that there are alot of Catholics (and other, different Christians) who are homophobic, antidemocratic, authoritarian and intolerant.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

PreviousNext

Return to The Cause